Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!

RadX

Neutral Newbie

Hi

I just want to get your opinion on this car (e.g., depreciation, OMV).  What do you think is a reasonable amount for this?  The price i think is on the high side.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=511599&DL=2203

It's on consignment so I am a bit concerned as this is my first time buying a second hand car.  I did try a search on the company (SA) and it turned up here which led me to this thread but the complaint was quite minor so I will probably let that pass.  Otherwise, no other results that popped up.  Hope no one has other bad experiences.

I already have researched that I need to have a pre-inspection.  I read that AAS is better than an STA check, correct?  If the dealer refuses to have an AAS check but fine with STA is that bad?  Meaning since AAS is more strict than the STA report it might uncover more things?

For the service record, do i need to call and verify myself with PML?  Or do i insist on getting some assurance from the seller?  I know the records are already computerised but I cannot fully check until i buy and transfer the ownership to me?  How do others do this check?

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I bought a car from them 3 years back. Deal with the boss, seems humble to me & through out the transaction no problem.

2 - 3 weeks later, the steering rack have cocking sound. I was ask to send the car to their workshop & have it replace with a re-con steering rack which cost $1.3k. The boss ask for a 50/50 cost split, I agreed to it b'cos he sold me the car @ below market price. After that the car serve me well for 3 years till the scrap date w/o any problem except oil servicing.

Cheers bro...thanks for your inputs [thumbsup]

Cheers bro...thanks for your inputs [thumbsup]

eh you buying car again? knn...sibei rich u

eh you buying car again? knn...sibei rich u

A colleague of mine wanted to get an X5 i35 from them so I kay-poh-ter come to this fantastic forum to ask lor [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Hi

I just want to get your opinion on this car (e.g., depreciation, OMV).  What do you think is a reasonable amount for this?  The price i think is on the high side.

It's on consignment so I am a bit concerned as this is my first time buying a second hand car.  I did try a search on the company (SA) and it turned up here which led me to this thread but the complaint was quite minor so I will probably let that pass.  Otherwise, no other results that popped up.  Hope no one has other bad experiences.

I already have researched that I need to have a pre-inspection.  I read that AAS is better than an STA check, correct?  If the dealer refuses to have an AAS check but fine with STA is that bad?  Meaning since AAS is more strict than the STA report it might uncover more things?

For the service record, do i need to call and verify myself with PML?  Or do i insist on getting some assurance from the seller?  I know the records are already computerised but I cannot fully check until i buy and transfer the ownership to me?  How do others do this check?

Thanks in advance.

That kind of depre for a E9x 325i Cabrio is too much. For the same depre you can buy a Z4.

It should be no more than 17K IMHO.

• Praise 2

hi bros. this thread is informative. thanks all

just looking for a yr 08 mazda 5 sp at the moment. any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. thanks.

at the same time, reading through this thread to take note of blacklisted dealers. wondering if there is a complied list in here though.

• Praise 1

Hi eveyone, noob to this forum here but I need some urgent help/advice.

I bought a used 7year old Mini Cooper S from a used car dealer on July 18th. The high pressure engine fuel pump and engine fuel pump broke down on August 16th resulting in repair bill racking up to 1.2k. Dealer refused to acknowledge responsibility for it and claims it is wear and tear. I've read the lemon law (Consumer Protection Act in great detail) and as far as I can understand as long as the car is not in a usable condition within 6mths of purchase I have the right to claim.

I am not unreasonable. I know that an old car will have wear and tear issues and I was prepared to deal with the common ones like air con break down, window breakdown, that kind. But for the car to breakdown to the extent of need towing less than one month after collection is not something I was prepared to accept.

I went to CASE and was prepared for a no-outcome from there. After the CASE deadline I went to Small Claims Tribunal. On the first consultation they were late for half an hour, attitude was shit and had little respect for the venue. And on the second consultation they blatantly didn't show up! So the verdict was issued in my favour, until....

2 days ago I received a call from SCT and they told me the jerks had disputed the verdict as they "had an oversight on the consultation date" (cough cough, FORGOT!) so the earlier verdict is now invalid and we have to go to hearing!

Now I have no experience on this whatsoever and don't know anyone who has, so hoping that someone out here who has been through this before can help me: what should I be prepared for at hearing, how can I make them sound even worse than they are behaving, how can I help make this case more in my favour??

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Praise 1

I am not familiar with that but aren't fuel pumps parts that you replace at very X mileage?

I bought a used 7year old Mini Cooper S from a used car dealer on July 18th. The high pressure engine fuel pump and engine fuel pump broke down on August 16th resulting in repair bill racking up to 1.2k. Dealer refused to acknowledge responsibility for it and claims it is wear and tear. I've read the lemon law (Consumer Protection Act in great detail) and as far as I can understand as long as the car is not in a usable condition within 6mths of purchase I have the right to claim.

I am not unreasonable. I know that an old car will have wear and tear issues and I was prepared to deal with the common ones like air con break down, window breakdown, that kind. But for the car to breakdown to the extent of need towing less than one month after collection is not something I was prepared to accept.

I went to CASE and was prepared for a no-outcome from there. After the CASE deadline I went to Small Claims Tribunal. On the first consultation they were late for half an hour, attitude was shit and had little respect for the venue. And on the second consultation they blatantly didn't show up! So the verdict was issued in my favour, until....

2 days ago I received a call from SCT and they told me the jerks had disputed the verdict as they "had an oversight on the consultation date" (cough cough, FORGOT!) so the earlier verdict is now invalid and we have to go to hearing!

Now I have no experience on this whatsoever and don't know anyone who has, so hoping that someone out here who has been through this before can help me: what should I be prepared for at hearing, how can I make them sound even worse than they are behaving, how can I help make this case more in my favour??

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Praise 1

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, first and foremost, welcome to MCF.

In my opinion: Although I think the repairs should have been bourne by the dealer, you should write it off as it is not a large amount. The trouble and time you've spent pursuing this, and how it affects you mentally that obviously you feel frustrated enough that you came here to ask for help... is not going to be worth it. I know how that feels. I've personally had several occassions where I paid over twice the amount you did on "post-collection repairs", both before and after the introduction of the lemon law legislation.

Why did I pay out of my own pocket even with the lemon law, you may ask? Several reasons:

1. I trust my mechanic more. This is a the key reason why I'd rather repair on my own.

2. It's not usually worth the time to pursue with the deaer. Yours is a classic example.

3. Money can always earn back. Time lost is lost.

What I usually do is to call the dealer, say I have an issue and I will get my mechanic to fix it, and try to redeem partial costs from the dealer. If they agree, good for me. If they don't so be it. Depending on the nature of the repair, I may blacklist them mentally.

Most importantly, enjoy your new ride. For every day you spend doing this, your car is depreciating around $50 -- go do the math ;)

• Praise 1

Hi

I just want to get your opinion on this car (e.g., depreciation, OMV). What do you think is a reasonable amount for this? The price i think is on the high side.

It's on consignment so I am a bit concerned as this is my first time buying a second hand car. I did try a search on the company (SA) and it turned up here which led me to this thread but the complaint was quite minor so I will probably let that pass. Otherwise, no other results that popped up. Hope no one has other bad experiences.

I already have researched that I need to have a pre-inspection. I read that AAS is better than an STA check, correct? If the dealer refuses to have an AAS check but fine with STA is that bad? Meaning since AAS is more strict than the STA report it might uncover more things?

For the service record, do i need to call and verify myself with PML? Or do i insist on getting some assurance from the seller? I know the records are already computerised but I cannot fully check until i buy and transfer the ownership to me? How do others do this check?

Thanks in advance.

If I'm buying BMW that is less than 5 year old, I'll get from PML resale. Can bargain price and they will give you 1-2 years warranty. ALL items covered.

• Praise 1

Fighting for "justice" is tough.

Some cases also have to consider the probability that the dealer is also unaware and share the costs accordingly.

Lemon law should be thrown only for mega items like engine overhaul or GB. 

Small sums that can be settled easily better to settle own self. Ultimately the car ownership per year costs 20k already. 

Hi, first and foremost, welcome to MCF.

In my opinion: Although I think the repairs should have been bourne by the dealer, you should write it off as it is not a large amount. The trouble and time you've spent pursuing this, and how it affects you mentally that obviously you feel frustrated enough that you came here to ask for help... is not going to be worth it. I know how that feels. I've personally had several occassions where I paid over twice the amount you did on "post-collection repairs", both before and after the introduction of the lemon law legislation.

Why did I pay out of my own pocket even with the lemon law, you may ask? Several reasons:

1. I trust my mechanic more. This is a the key reason why I'd rather repair on my own.

2. It's not usually worth the time to pursue with the deaer. Yours is a classic example.

3. Money can always earn back. Time lost is lost.

What I usually do is to call the dealer, say I have an issue and I will get my mechanic to fix it, and try to redeem partial costs from the dealer. If they agree, good for me. If they don't so be it. Depending on the nature of the repair, I may blacklist them mentally.

Most importantly, enjoy your new ride. For every day you spend doing this, your car is depreciating around $50 -- go do the math ;)

Edited by Seohster
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi Deividz - I did go to PML Resale.  I asked whether the price is negotiable based on the sticker price.  The guy I spoke to said No.  Maybe because I am a first time buyer there?  Though I was an old PML customer who bought a new BM previously.

Any agent that you know that I can contact for a good price?

Thanks in adance.

If I'm buying BMW that is less than 5 year old, I'll get from PML resale. Can bargain price and they will give you 1-2 years warranty. ALL items covered.

@Detach8 hi - thanks for your advice on the depreciation.  I decided to step away from this deal.  I was already ready to overpay (based on a price point I was comfortable to take the risk) but the seller was flip flopping and still wanted to push up the price even though we already previously agreed to a price.  He said he did not want to top up too much on his bank loan!!??  I did not like someone not honoring his word and making his bank loan as an excuse.  I have a few 2nd or 3rd choices but I'd probably wait out a bit more.  Thanks again.

• Praise 1

Most used car dealers that give you warranty is basically NO warranty.  Car got issue - everything is wear and tear.  That's their definition of warranty.  Some will send you to their "friendly" workshop who tell you some lies to squeeze money from you instead.  If you try calling the used car dealer in question again to try an negotiate a warranty claim... they will KUP your call.   

When buying used cars, just squeeze their prices and forget about any warranty they offer - unless they are reputable dealers.  If price no good, just walk away.  

Those ads with Free 6 months warranty, etc from small time used car dealers - do not take their word for it!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.  Forget about claim.  Not worth the time and stress. 

2.  Go to your own workshop to fix.  Dealer's workshop is another slaughter house.  

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=491416&DL=2461

Wonder what this Free 6 months warranty by the dealer covers!  :a-confused:

Any bros wanna call and find out?

• Praise 3

Hi

I just want to get your opinion on this car (e.g., depreciation, OMV). What do you think is a reasonable amount for this? The price i think is on the high side.

It's on consignment so I am a bit concerned as this is my first time buying a second hand car. I did try a search on the company (SA) and it turned up here which led me to this thread but the complaint was quite minor so I will probably let that pass. Otherwise, no other results that popped up. Hope no one has other bad experiences.

I already have researched that I need to have a pre-inspection. I read that AAS is better than an STA check, correct? If the dealer refuses to have an AAS check but fine with STA is that bad? Meaning since AAS is more strict than the STA report it might uncover more things?

For the service record, do i need to call and verify myself with PML? Or do i insist on getting some assurance from the seller? I know the records are already computerised but I cannot fully check until i buy and transfer the ownership to me? How do others do this check?

Thanks in advance.

Read that it's not a bad option to bring vehicle to R2D for a pre-purchase inspection for $90. Quite a few of my frieds driving Bimmer swear by Rodney. More resources available at www.bmw-sg.com

Note: I am looking at a Bimmer and is thinking of goint that route, I have yet to experience their service

• Praise 2

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be you against Ah Bengs and I am sure you will be able to present it better. They will not hire a lawyer for sure as it will cost them more than the disputed sum of $1.2k. Provide evidence (SMS, emails, etc) of where they refused to acknowledge the repairs and deemed it as wear and tear. I hope of t you have such evidence.

These issues are definitely not wear and tear. If they can be justitified as wear and tear then no need to have lemon law as everything including geabox, etc all can come under wear and tear.

Regardless of the the amount , these Ah Bengs need to be taught a lesson.

They have become bolder because most of their customers  are like the other forumers here (must be in the 70% category), who are advising you to let it go.

Edited by Nav14
  • Praise 2

Some cases also have to consider the probability that the dealer is also unaware and share the costs accordingly.

Small sums that can be settled easily better to settle own self. Ultimately the car ownership per year costs 20k already. 

This is small claims tribunal , minimal costs and no need to hire lawyer. Just do some basic presentation with evidences and leave it to the judge, Short and sweet. Even if do not win does not matter as minimal effort put in. Principles are sometimes more important than a little inconvenience. 

If all have such an attitude , might as well scrap lemon law.

This is small claims tribunal , minimal costs and no need to hire lawyer. Just do some basic presentation with evidences and leave it to the judge, Short and sweet. Even if do not win does not matter as minimal effort put in. Principles are sometimes more important than a little inconvenience. 

• Praise 5

I agree fully with what you said. There was once a group of us took one issue up fully to CASE, small claims tribunals and then even group hired a lawyer for an examination of judgement debtor. We were fully aware of the remote chance of any recovery of money but just wanted the law to run its full course because we highly doubt the motivation and intention of the business.

The main concern or question we should ask is, should the dealer have known about this problem? Was there warranty covering the specific parts in contention? How was the attitude of the dealer when such feedback was given? Any remedy or suggestions provided?

To be frank, several car owners I know of (my relative and some friends) decide to sell cars to dealers only when their car starts to have odd behaviours, and as a secondhand car buyer, I would budget a few thousand dollars extra to deal with some of these anticipated issues.

My point is, if it is easily proven that the dealer could not have been aware of these faults (some belong to wear and tear) and the areas fall outside of the warranty, then it might be easier for all to settle for a straightforward repair after consultation and negotiation with the dealer. Do let the dealer know when you might be looking to replace the car, so once bitten, twice shy.

Edited by Seohster
↡ Advertisement