Private property owner wheel clamps car and demands $500

Ahtong

There's a map call cadastral map, just check that map will know the road belongs to who.

Should put this map into our GPS. So we know which road can park..

Turbocharged

wah $500? if $100 i pay. more than that i will still pay but at night i will come back secretly and use super glue to make sure he wont be able to open his gate. and end up to break his gate. Fair enough.

go court? just say that there is no incorporation by notice, so not valid.

Precisely. As I was saying earlier, illegal parking comes and goes, but the house owners are mainly staying there long-term. If they want a peaceful life, I think it's unwise to antagonize people, especially taking vigilante action. Best is to act through the authorities.

To me $500 is extortion, and owner of the property would inevitably offend some people that should not be offended. I leave it to them to consider this, as some people may pay the $500, and get even some other way. So it's just not worth it.

If the owners really have the rights there, why no just charge people for parking there, with the requirement that they do not engage handbrakes if parking there might obstruct anybody? What's the point of wheel clamping people if they obstruct you? Now that they are wheel clamped, they can't move their car, and if they are like me who carries very little cash with me, I can't possibly have it released. So the obstruction would be there for an even longer period of time.

Actually Ted is quite right to say this case is weird.

Jln Mas Puteh is a loopish road built around a playground and surrounded by private houses.

The 1st pic shows the entrance to Mas Puteh. Stomper who kena clamped said he was buying food. I guess it was from the shop on the left with the brown awnings.

The 2nd pic is of Mas Puteh if you drive down the road (use the condo in the background as a reference point). How come private road can have URA parking lots?

Granted the street view may be out of date but the son of the clamper claims the road has belonged to the residents since 20 years ago. [confused]

Unless the private road is this dead end on the far side of Mas Puteh. But where's the sign and why no fence up? It's quite far from the cafe too.

Not taking sides here. Just putting some pics for GPGT.

Wow! The pics bring back so much of good memories, as I grew up in that neighbourhood. Thanks man!

Wow! The pics bring back so much of good memories, as I grew up in that neighbourhood. Thanks man!

are you the old man? [sly][grin][laugh][laugh]

To me $500 is extortion, and owner of the property would inevitably offend some people that should not be offended. I leave it to them to consider this, as some people may pay the $500, and get even some other way. So it's just not worth it.

If the owners really have the rights there, why no just charge people for parking there, with the requirement that they do not engage handbrakes if parking there might obstruct anybody? What's the point of wheel clamping people if they obstruct you? Now that they are wheel clamped, they can't move their car, and if they are like me who carries very little cash with me, I can't possibly have it released. So the obstruction would be there for an even longer period of time.

No doubt, 500 bucks is excessive but the key word is "deterrent". you think they are so hardup to earn parking fee meh. Like gahmen's mentality, the best deterrent is to hurt your pocket... [laugh]

it's private property, too bad. next time park properly.

fyi - if you cut up the wheel clamp, it will be considered an offense.

fully agreed.

it is like u go steal from a shop, then kena caught by cctv. then u go kpkb say how come got cctv installed and u dunno but which in the first place, u shouldn't even go and steal anything!

Put it in a simple way, someone break into your house, you can either fine him 500 bucks or call the police to make him go to jail, u let the bugger choose. It's the same case here, it's a private area, right to use, no license to park, so they can do what ever they want. It's just that it's not gated/fenced.

It is such a simple case, I don't know why so much fuss about it

1) The sign was displayed - No Parking

2) The warning about wheel clamp and fine was displayed

If anyone is an inconsiderate Ahole and ignores all the signs, just be prepared for the consequences

If you parked in a handicap lot and got clamped or fined, can you say it is too expensive or just buy food 10 mins only?

in addition, this type of behaviour is anti-social

if you park in URA lot and don't put coupon, that is your own choice, it affects no one but yourself

inconsiderate parking on the other hand obstructs other road users and affects other people around - such behavior should be punished heavily

Supersonic

Everyone pls go down Jl Mas Puteh and take pictures. [:p]

err..will you get clamped for taking pictures ?

Edited by Kb27

Turbocharged

saw this news today...

understand some roads, eg those leading to private country clubs, are private roads

however, in this case, should this be allowed?

can owners of landed properties buy a road built by LTA and suka suka implement anti-parking locking fees?

联合晚报

563022_537738342962230_803281540_n.jpg

【今日强打】8户屋主连房带路,买下门前一条街,谁敢停他们家门前,就要准备给车轮开锁费500元!地点西海岸路惹兰马士布爹。

Eight families bought a stretch of road in front of their houses. Whoever parked illegally had to pay $500 locking fee. The location is at West Coast Jalan ???