Mistakes SG drivers make when dealing with dangerous drivers

Darthrevan

Video: http://razor.tv/video/493414/how-to-deal-w...eckless-drivers

Speeding, hit-and-runs and sudden cuts and turns - these are some cases of reckless driving which have made news headlines over the past few weeks.

Videos of these incidents have been posted and shared online, thanks to motorists' increasing use of car cameras.

Several members of the public have also been sending their videos to citizen-journalism website Stomp to alert others of errant drivers.

The official figures for inconsiderate and careless driving are indeed alarming.

In 2012, Traffic Police reported 243 cases of reckless driving, which is a 50 per cent jump from the 163 cases in 2011.

The number of speeding offences in the first six months of this year has also increased from 109,960 to 129,578 - an 18 per cent rise compared to the same period in 2012.

Mr Eugene Lee, a driving instructor at the Singapore Safety Driving Centre, points out that one mistake Singapore drivers often make is to jam their brakes suddenly and excessively whenever they spot a potentially dangerous situation ahead.

But "by braking, they will cause danger to others", he adds.

So, what should you do when you encounter a dangerous driver?

Watch the above RazorTV clip to find out, and click here to see the top mistakes by Singapore drivers.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...s-drivers-the-r

↡ Advertisement

Lucky I have my driving licence and don't have to take driving lessons under this instructor. Some advice he gave are terrible.

As suggested in scenario 2, I think intermittent braking when being tailgated is siao la...inviting trouble onli...

Prefer to keep a longer distance with the vehicle infront.

agree. i'll just maintain spd n keep longer dist fr my front veh unil can chg lane, provided behind veh doesnt chg lane.

Lucky I have my driving licence and don't have to take driving lessons under this instructor. Some advice he gave are terrible.

actually, apart fr my comment above, i think the rest r what i practice.

but turning right part at times really bo bian, unless choose to wait till green arrow will be safest. in fact, i think lta should leave no chance to human judgment but enforce engineerin control for all right turns n eliminate all roundabout. altho might breed a gen of less competent drivers, at least less accidents also.

With that kind of trainer, no wonder many singaporean drivers are nuisance on the road. First thing, people should not roadhog especially when the driver behind has indicated the intention to overtake. They should change lane when it is safe as to do so asap and not wait until being tailgated.

• Praise 1

I think the best thing you could do if a car was coming fast behind you were to signal left.. wait 2secs to see if he did intend to overtake you on the left. if he just stays behind you, then do a lane change to the left to let him pass.

signal is a very good way of letting drivers on the road know of your intention. however at most times drivers doesn't use their signal, or when they use their signal, they demand ways given to them.

• Praise 1

Video: http://razor.tv/video/493414/how-to-deal-w...eckless-drivers

Speeding, hit-and-runs and sudden cuts and turns - these are some cases of reckless driving which have made news headlines over the past few weeks.

Videos of these incidents have been posted and shared online, thanks to motorists' increasing use of car cameras.

Several members of the public have also been sending their videos to citizen-journalism website Stomp to alert others of errant drivers.

The official figures for inconsiderate and careless driving are indeed alarming.

In 2012, Traffic Police reported 243 cases of reckless driving, which is a 50 per cent jump from the 163 cases in 2011.

The number of speeding offences in the first six months of this year has also increased from 109,960 to 129,578 - an 18 per cent rise compared to the same period in 2012.

Mr Eugene Lee, a driving instructor at the Singapore Safety Driving Centre, points out that one mistake Singapore drivers often make is to jam their brakes suddenly and excessively whenever they spot a potentially dangerous situation ahead.

But "by braking, they will cause danger to others", he adds.

So, what should you do when you encounter a dangerous driver?

Watch the above RazorTV clip to find out, and click here to see the top mistakes by Singapore drivers.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...s-drivers-the-r

Intermittent breaking will irritate the tailgater !!!. They will do more dangerous act.

The best is signal left. Let the tailgater know that you are trying to cut to left lane. Let the tailgater go.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Most people seem to think it is a race when this happens. It is like someone can be going as slow as can be and as soon as someone shows up and wants to pass it is like someone threw down a race flag. Very frustrating when you just want to get to work in the morning.

• Praise 1

I'm driving this way at this speed limit and staying on this lane because it's my right... I dont care about others on the road. This is a recipe of disaster!

Edited by Lowrider

The instructor mentioned if someone is tailgating your car leave a longer distance between your car and the car infront, 4 sec I think...but the tailgater might just overtake and cut into your path. It's like inviting reckless driving.

Why not just stay at where you are? If there's traffic ahead of you ignore the bugger. He kiss, he pay.

For tailgaters, I'd just maintain my speed if the traffic is heavy in front of me... where else can I go??? If it's empty, then I'd change lane to the left and let him go....

• Praise 1

The instructor mentioned if someone is tailgating your car leave a longer distance between your car and the car infront, 4 sec I think...but the tailgater might just overtake and cut into your path. It's like inviting reckless driving.

Why not just stay at where you are? If there's traffic ahead of you ignore the bugger. He kiss, he pay.

depends

if behind is tua lowlee, i lane 3 lane 4 i also siam [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

nowaday lowlee very hiong [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement