Kuantan-Lake Kenyir-Cameron Highlands-Melaka road trip

Adrianli

The car can definately travel non-stop. No problem at all.

No need to check car radiator water, just look at the coolant temp on the dashboard.

Turtle lay eggs season is July to September. Now can only go to the turtle sanctuary to see turtle.

Yup turtle season is July to Sep. Perhaps plan for next year for a longgg trip like what you did.

I think check radiator reservoir is a better choice? I have never trusted the temp guage. Usually by the time it shows any signs of abnormal temp, something is very very wrong already.

I would prefer to pop the hood at every rest stop or petrol station to do a quick visual check on my coolant levels.

By the way, care to share what other preparations you did prior to your trip?

Is insect repellant a good idea? lol. mosquito are irritating lah ~

If you wanna go Trengganu/Desaru, better go soon cos monsoon season coming.....

But I think turtle watching season is over already (no?).....if yes, then you can start planing the trip for next year.

Yup monsoon coming.. So that's why try to do it this weekend..

Its either a go or no more thing..

Edited by Knoobie
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Yup turtle season is July to Sep. Perhaps plan for next year for a longgg trip like what you did.

I think check radiator reservoir is a better choice? I have never trusted the temp guage. Usually by the time it shows any signs of abnormal temp, something is very very wrong already.

I would prefer to pop the hood at every rest stop or petrol station to do a quick visual check on my coolant levels.

Did no prep at all. Just serviced the car in July and told the Komoco SE to make sure car ready for MY road trip. Other than that, nothing. I packed my bags for the night before. [grin]

I did buy insect repellant in Kuantan. The resort at Lake Keyir did provide those electric mozzy coils. However, I emptied half bottle of insect repellent into the whole room upon opening the door. Then another 1/4 can before I sleep.

Edited by Adrianli

Did no prep at all. Just serviced the car in July and told the Komoco SE to make sure car ready for MY road trip. Other than that, nothing. I packed my bags for the night before. [grin]

I did buy insect repellant in Kuantan. The resort at Lake Keyir did provide those electric mozzy coils. However, I emptied half bottle of insect repellent into the whole room upon opening the door. Then another 1/4 can before I sleep.

lol. i never thought of the mass spraying part. good idea!! i'll go arm myself with some!

by the way, do you spray in your car too? i noticed whenever i go road trip to forested area in MY, seems to have a few of these mosquito trying to be illegal immigrants..

lol. i never thought of the mass spraying part. good idea!! i'll go arm myself with some!

by the way, do you spray in your car too? i noticed whenever i go road trip to forested area in MY, seems to have a few of these mosquito trying to be illegal immigrants..

No, did not spray any insect repellent in the car. But u are right, got one mozzy flying ard in the car which I tried to catch but not successful. I ignored it and it did not bite me or my wife.

No, did not spray any insect repellent in the car. But u are right, got one mozzy flying ard in the car which I tried to catch but not successful. I ignored it and it did not bite me or my wife.

I remember theres once theres a mozzie that keep buzzing around my ear while driving.. that is a terrible experience..

Supercharged

Its 1,300km from SG to Phuket.

Road trip details here : http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/1941799-road-trip-to-phuket/

Happy reading.

Have two drivers. Rotate between my fren and I. Each of us drive 4hrs and change. Quite fun actually, hope to do it again.

1300km!!!...

ok, another inspiration you gave me..

but provided i got the time.. and the stomach..

you guys really can take long breaks.. really envy

Supercharged

any recommendation for short getaway during deepavali?

malacca, been there, every year..

tioman, 2 pax.. boring..

desaru.. batam.. sian.. every year too..

something simple, relax.. chill..

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I same as you, always check radiator water on long trips, at least twice at day - when I park my car at hotel (after check-in), and again next day morning (before move off to next destination). Call me kiasi but I trust my naked eye more than the temp guage.

I think no need to check at every rest point or petrol station lah, unless you believe your radiator is not in good condition liao.

Preparations include plotting the travel route, time to depart/arrive, where to stop/rest/makan, where to top-up petrol, reach hotel what to do, etc - are what you need to plan before a trip.

Insect repellant is a good idea, especially if you are bringing small children along.

Ya, lots of mosquitos at Lake Kenyir, especially night time. Once open the door must quickly shut it..... [laugh]

Actually if your car aircon is on, and adjusted to quite cold temperature, the mosquito won't bite!

Edited by TVT

Supercharged

tioman, 2 pax.. boring..

Deepavali is on a Sat leh....so if your company isn't off-in-lieu the following Monday, then its just a normal weekend only.

You could try those small towns between Malacca and JB, like Kluang/Batu Patah/Muar, all about 1-1.5 hours drive from SG. All are small towns but each has its own special local food to try. Simple and relax...chill... [;)]

I do some fishing n wanted to fish Kenyir long ago but never tried.

I heard the toman not as many as 10-15 yrs back though but wud still like to try.

Maybe if we get a group from MCF together we can arrange a fishing trip there for abt 2-3 days fishing.

If you invite many XMMs to a boathouse trip, I am sure the response will be very good. LOL...

Anyway, I tried fishing at Kenyir years ago, rented a boat and went out for a few hours, nothing, not even a bite for 6 of us, really KNS. Maybe we all kayu angler but I doubt it is fertile fishing ground anymore. So all the more important to have XMMs along.

Yup, the foot massage shops are ran by PRCs. My wife went to the one below the tennis court. As u enter the hotel, the shop on the left.

Yup, I booked the hotels thru Asiarooms beforehand.

Driving was stress free and drove only 3-4hrs from one location to another. Basically I check out of the hotel at 10am and would reach the next destination 2-3pm, just nice to check in.

I got asked u to come along for this trip hor. For fishing, I think you will love Lake Kenyir. Can hire the boat and go ard the lake fishing.

Ya, Melaka too much tourist and prices there going up and up each time I visit. [shakehead]

Ya I remember I wanted to join u this trip but cannot cos got some stuff around this time. Sad.

Fishing wud hv been nice but its not as good as many yrs back.

Those days my fren said u can catch big Toman from the resort u staying. Now u need to take the houseboat in for a couple of days to get the biggies.

Lets hope we can go on another RT soon. Maybe Kuantan again??? [grin]

tioman, 2 pax.. boring..

Go Kuantan. Stay Swiss garden. [thumbsup]

If you invite many XMMs to a boathouse trip, I am sure the response will be very good. LOL...

Anyway, I tried fishing at Kenyir years ago, rented a boat and went out for a few hours, nothing, not even a bite for 6 of us, really KNS. Maybe we all kayu angler but I doubt it is fertile fishing ground anymore. So all the more important to have XMMs along.

Kenyir Lake was damm good in the beginning. U cud get 8-9 kg Toman near the resort.

Now u need to travel deep inside fr a couple of days to get the good spots.

All the fish were caught by locals n commercial fishing using nets.

As for the XMM......Maybe we can find some sweet young Bo Sia over there? It wud b nice to try the local dishes. Maybe meat very tender n sweet even. There r a couple of Kampongs at the lake. Maybe we can do some hunting for small game [gorgeous] as well as fishing? [grin]

Kenyir Lake was damm good in the beginning. U cud get 8-9 kg Toman near the resort.

Now u need to travel deep inside fr a couple of days to get the good spots.

All the fish were caught by locals n commercial fishing using nets.

As for the XMM......Maybe we can find some sweet young Bo Sia over there? It wud b nice to try the local dishes. Maybe meat very tender n sweet even. There r a couple of Kampongs at the lake. Maybe we can do some hunting for small game [gorgeous] as well as fishing? [grin]

Sure anot? My RT you don't want to follow, bro Adrianli's RT also you gave it a miss.....now you wann join in some more RT ?!?! [dizzy]

If you had joined us both, you would have been to Kuantan n Kenyir twice this year, by now! [laugh]

Ya but this period I not free leh. [shakehead][bigcry]

I drove a Nissan Sunny 1.6A FL to Phuket. All paved road. Roads in Thailand were good. I did it in 17hours drive all the way. 2am leave SG, 7pm reach hotel at Patong beach in Phuket on the same day.

U really spark plug (Champion). [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

GOOD NEWS,

The stretch of road, 1744, between the Guard Posts are all re-surfaced.

Was expecting to slow down but was pleasantly surprised to travel on almost new surface four days ago.

Enjoy your ride.

Before I set off on the Felda Aring road, I has asked 2 locals at Lake Kenyir about the road condition. They both say it is BAD, but can go thru. Both told me 2 important points:

1) must go slow

2) do not travel that road at night!

So jalan lah...!

Yup, the road at Trengganu side was wide and very very light traffic! Some parts of the road even has 2 lanes in one direction. The scenery was great too, with views of Lake Kenyir on the left as we drove past by. But once reached the Kelantan side (1744) the view changed, so was the road condition. [:(] Like the locals said, must really go slow on this stretch, if not sure can damage the car's suspension, undercarriage and tires. Like you, I was "greatly" relieved when I finally got out of this stretch and saw the junction of highway 8! [sweatdrop] My wife (like your wife) also stayed fully awake on this stretch!

We also pass by the 2 police checkpoints but no was was guarding it so we just drove past. But I don't know why there need police checkpoint? It is not a border crossing or controlled area also... [confused]

• Praise 5

GOOD NEWS,

Was expecting to slow down but was pleasantly surprised to travel on almost new surface four days ago.

Enjoy your ride.

Which direction were u heading?

I mean, Eastwards towards Kuantan or Westwards in direction of Gua Musang?

Supercharged

GOOD NEWS,

Enjoy your ride.

Thats great! That's for the update!

For those driving from CH/GM to Tasir Kenyir/Terengganu/Kuantan (or vice versa), this is a really great (and scenic) short cut to use.

[:)]

↡ Advertisement