Folding bikes

Duckduck

Im thinking of getting a folding bike & narrowed down to brompton & dahon. anyone with experience with either & care to share? :D

↡ Advertisement

Im thinking of getting a folding bike & narrowed down to brompton & dahon. anyone with experience with either & care to share? :D

If you want to put it in the car, or take train with it, I would say go with bromptom. They have one of the neatest fold. But for more bang of the buck, dahon or tern definitely.

Edited by Coltplussport
  • Praise 1

Go with the one with the easiest fold, and folds into the smallest volume. My pick is brompton if you okay with the costs.

If you want to put it in the car, or take train with it, I would say go with bromptom. They have one of the neatest fold. But for more bang of the buck, dahon or tern definitely.

i am against tern, lousy quality.

The folding mechanism is dubious as it suddenly collapsed while me friend was riding. Turns out the plastic locking pin broke and to our horror, the rest of the seven units we have suffered the same fate.

Now we need to use the mrt style, cable tie to secure.

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 1

I m bias. Brompton. Been using it for more 2 yrs to work.

In addition, Brompton don't lost that much value as compared to other foldies in used mkt.

The folding mechanism is dubious as it suddenly collapsed while me friend was riding. Turns out the plastic locking pin broke and to our horror, the rest of the seven units we have suffered the same fate.

Cannot claim from dealer meh?

• Praise 1

Or you can get birdy? Got suspension somemore, and birdy bikes look so cool.

Is it that bad? All seven broke down? And tern seems to big to carry on train.

It is a good touring bike but not ez to fold/unfold. Somemore, folded up size is not as small as Brompton.

eight of it ,actually. [;)]

big and not that light.

• Praise 1

Brompton rocks.

But based on my needs, definitely an aleoca.

I like the idea that u can lock anywhere and won't get stolen.

If rusty. Throw and buy a new one

• Praise 2

what about getting a bike rack and not put it in the car, cleaner too. If you do that, there is no need for a brompton, just a common bike that you can lock anywhere and parts can be gotten for cheap or the bike replaced for even cheaper lol.

I like the brompton if have to choose but do check out the price of its spares.

• Praise 5

what about getting a bike rack and not put it in the car, cleaner too. If you do that, there is no need for a brompton, just a common bike that you can lock anywhere and parts can be gotten for cheap or the bike replaced for even cheaper lol.

So, meaning expensive price product will have equally expensive parts ?

• Praise 2

most likely.

Even for simple generic things like spanners and bolts, there's a huge difference in build quality for those unbranded pasar malam type and those branded types of honourable brands. Price of course there's a diff.

Try using a cheap spanner to turn a nut, the nut may be rounded off in no time. Try using a inferior nut or bolt, and you will see it may even break due to stress without you removing it.

So, meaning expensive price product will have equally expensive parts ?

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

ya if not, one can buy all the parts and assemble one cheaper, the cost needs to be justified. I think the bulk would be in the frame and its internal gear hub if it has one. some of its parts are propriety parts. look at the accessories. lovely bike though especially with leather.

• Praise 3

Don't need to throw. If you have those mobile recycling collector, sell them off as scrap metal. Can get about $1.30 basis $0.10 per kg :D Then, walk to those mobile icecream seller to buy one $1 icecream. Help the economy.

Brompton rocks.

But based on my needs, definitely an aleoca.

I like the idea that u can lock anywhere and won't get stolen.

If rusty. Throw and buy a new one

most likely.

Even for simple generic things like spanners and bolts, there's a huge difference in build quality for those unbranded pasar malam type and those branded types of honourable brands. Price of course there's a diff.

Try using a cheap spanner to turn a nut, the nut may be rounded off in no time. Try using a inferior nut or bolt, and you will see it may even break due to stress without you removing it.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

• Praise 2

I have been riding it almost daily and the parts i have changed is chain, rear derailleur and rear elastomer.

Somemore, my front fork, seat post & rear triangle is titanium.

In fact, i spend more $$ zheng the bike then mainitaining it.

Edited by Davidtch
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2