Renault Fluence 1.5 dci

Sopskysalat

Hi,

Let me start a new thread. Searched but no such thread yet.

Test drove this weekend, it is good price for specification offered.

Although engine is 1.5, I find the drive is quite spirited, should be due to EDC that is able to bring the car up to speed with its fast shift, faster than the 1.6 bluehdi C4 can do with its EAT6.

The car has all the high specification an entry luxury car offers.

I am open to critical opinion such as dci failure, french car with poor quality ..etc and hope owner to offers their experience such as fuel consumption able to meet the paper specification, drive and any electronic failure.

Thank you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Test drove this model earlier the year. I agree that the air-conditioning is weak despite setting to low temperature. The Fluence is a comfortable ride to start off with. The insulation is very much appreciated especially on rainy days where the interior is insulated against the rain drops hitting the roof and water splashing noise at the wheel arches.

I test drove the Petrol version before which suits the fluence refinement image very well just that it is weak on outright response due to CVT transmission. Later when the diesel is available, I test drove the version and felt that it is much more responsive than the petrol version. The only setback is the clattering sound of the diesel engine. On the outside, it is not as refine as other diesel models like Citroen, Audi or the i40 taxi. On the inside, a drone can be heard and mild vibration can be felt. But on the move, the noise is not much present. The Dual clutch transmission will upshift early if drive normally. Full throttle on, it will just surge forward. Guess this is the high torque of turbo diesel power.

Equipment wise, I won't touch on. Pretty much impressive given its price. Just that the diesel noise is something I cannot get over.

Have driven the new Renault Fluence for a few months; it's value-for-money given the technology and specifications on offer, but it does have its flaws (some of which can be easily rectified)

Let's start with the shortcomings of the car:

1. Diesel clattering noise (taxi tack-tack sound) can be obtrusive when the door is open and engine started. 

2. Turbo lag is evident and vehicle in general feels sluggish; heavy car body doesn't help.

3. Air-conditioner lacks power especially on a hot day, doesn't help that the vents cannot be adjusted for all three front vents to point towards the driver. On full power, breeze is considerable but noise then comes into the picture. 

Solutions for 1) and 2): Wind strips around the engine and door regions, and start engine only when all passengers in car :D Also, addition of a Sprint Booster (about $300 at Fong Kim) does help appreciably to make the car feel more responsive. 

Strengths of car (which IMO outweighs the shortcomings): 

1. Arkamys sound system - This should be pleasing to most people save the audiophiles. Insulation in general is above average compared to most cars (sidenote: radio signal is subpar but I use Bluetooth mostly)

2. Boot space of 530L is important for people who like to treat their car as a second storage space, biggest in its class. The baby stroller AND baby seat gets swallowed up easily. 

3. Added conveniences such as auto headlights, auto wipers and intuitive cruise control and speed limiter controls. Frontal placement of 7-inch touch-display coupled with high-res reverse cameras with parking guides is very useful. 

4. Torque is high in diesel cars and power is never lacking. Also, diesel is half the price of petrol and the fuel efficiency is about 15km/L for a heavy footer who spends a lot of time stuck behind traffic lights. 

5. What else? The sunroof is present albeit small, and the vehicle has a unique look not many on the road right now. Reliability wise, can't pass judgement yet but so far so good :)

Edited by ShawnKwek
  • Praise 5

This car is made in Korea or France ?

I tot it shared some engine tech with Samsung/Nissan ?

Assembled in Korea.

Engine shared with Nissan, in sgp it's seen in the Nissan van NV200 but power rating and torque for Fluence should be higher dan the van's.

Supercharged

Assembled in Korea.

Engine shared with Nissan, in sgp it's seen in the Nissan van NV200 but power rating and torque for Fluence should be higher dan the van's.

Yup, that's what I tot too.

But I prefer its bigger brother, the Latitude, which are used by Trans-cab now. It is powerful, big and stable.

• Praise 1

Glad to see owner likes the car. My take on your pointers,

1. Diesel clattering is definitely present. Most importantly is it does not intrude / intrude much into cabin to create discomfort. It doesn't matter how loud it is from the outside. Also, if cannot accept clattering, then diesel is not for potential buyer.

2. Not really important but most turbo car experience lag unless twincharged i guess.

3. DEFINITELY a let down. I told the SE but she said ok. Do you feel the rear vent is like a dummy. It doesn't feel much wind coming out from it. During test drive, setting to LO setting doesn't help. If full blown fan, noise will be a problem within the cabin.

Car is made in Turkey if I am correct. For me, still considering as it present a value for money purchase.

Have driven the new Renault Fluence for a few months; it's value-for-money given the technology and specifications on offer, but it does have its flaws (some of which can be easily rectified)

Let's start with the shortcomings of the car:

1. Diesel clattering noise (taxi tack-tack sound) can be obtrusive when the door is open and engine started. 

2. Turbo lag is evident and vehicle in general feels sluggish; heavy car body doesn't help.

3. Air-conditioner lacks power especially on a hot day, doesn't help that the vents cannot be adjusted for all three front vents to point towards the driver. On full power, breeze is considerable but noise then comes into the picture. 

Solutions for 1) and 2): Wind strips around the engine and door regions, and start engine only when all passengers in car :D Also, addition of a Sprint Booster (about $300 at Fong Kim) does help appreciably to make the car feel more responsive. 

Strengths of car (which IMO outweighs the shortcomings): 

1. Arkamys sound system - This should be pleasing to most people save the audiophiles. Insulation in general is above average compared to most cars (sidenote: radio signal is subpar but I use Bluetooth mostly)

2. Boot space of 530L is important for people who like to treat their car as a second storage space, biggest in its class. The baby stroller AND baby seat gets swallowed up easily. 

3. Added conveniences such as auto headlights, auto wipers and intuitive cruise control and speed limiter controls. Frontal placement of 7-inch touch-display coupled with high-res reverse cameras with parking guides is very useful. 

4. Torque is high in diesel cars and power is never lacking. Also, diesel is half the price of petrol and the fuel efficiency is about 15km/L for a heavy footer who spends a lot of time stuck behind traffic lights. 

5. What else? The sunroof is present albeit small, and the vehicle has a unique look not many on the road right now. Reliability wise, can't pass judgement yet but so far so good :)

1. Diesel clattering is definitely present. Most importantly is it does not intrude / intrude much into cabin to create discomfort. It doesn't matter how loud it is from the outside. Also, if cannot accept clattering, then diesel is not for potential buyer.

2. Not really important but most turbo car experience lag unless twincharged i guess.

3. DEFINITELY a let down. I told the SE but she said ok. Do you feel the rear vent is like a dummy. It doesn't feel much wind coming out from it. During test drive, setting to LO setting doesn't help. If full blown fan, noise will be a problem within the cabin.

Car is made in Turkey if I am correct. For me, still considering as it present a value for money purchase.

Actually it took me a month or so to get used to the drive after driving Japanese cars, and it's still quite a pain when going up/down multi-storey carparks due to erratic gear shifts, but when the car is moving above 20km/h everything is thumbs-up. 

Yes i agree, the output from the rear vent is negligible, but then again my only regular rear passenger is my baby whose baby seat is rear-facing and has a mini-fan :D 

SE mentioned that the car parts are assembled in Turkey, but I did my research and suspect otherwise. Either way, it's up to the professionalism (and not nationality) of the individuals who assembled my car (keeping my fingers crossed).

Oh, and I forgot to mention the one feature that is not present in other cars (even the high-end models) - there's sensors on all four doors to unlock the car doors and the car auto-locks (beep-beep) when you walk away from it. Almost never take out the key card (yes, not the thick flip key!) from my pocket :)

• Praise 1

I don't know if the Turkey company "Tofas"  is the one making it for Renault too?? All I know is that some Fiat/Citroen/Opel/Peugeot  vehicles are assembled or made by them arrangement or license 

Test drove it last year. Agree with the rest that the diesel clatter and vibration is rather high. I drive a 1.9Kangoo too and it's just a tad more noisy than the new car.

Parts and build quality is a step down from the French built Megane. Plastics on the Megane are better. I would suggest trying out the Megane to compare.

Turbocharged

Oh, and I forgot to mention the one feature that is not present in other cars (even the high-end models) - there's sensors on all four doors to unlock the car doors and the car auto-locks (beep-beep) when you walk away from it. Almost never take out the key card (yes, not the thick flip key!) from my pocket :)

Having all four doors equipped with lock and unlock sensors is quite helpful, I can attest. But mine doesn't auto-lock, unfortunately.

Though actually, aren't most keyless cars equipped with sensors on all four doors for unlocking? Usually you have to unlock the entire car via a passenger door, while driver's door is only driver's door...

Most cars I know up to now don't have the lock button/sensor on passenger doors.

The pre-facelift 1.6L model was built in South Korea in collaboration with Renault Samsung Motors (just like the Latitude 2.0 dCi that Transcab now operates). However, the facelifted ones (both 1.6L and 1.5 dCi) are now built in Turkey. I suppose it might have been a deliberate decision by Wearnes to source from Turkey instead, in order to distance the Fluence from its previous "made in Korea" stigma.

• Praise 1

Anyone buying Fluence ?

Today adver stated that only required 20% downpayment ($21K) , can immediate drive off (open cat coe?)

• Praise 1

Test drove this car last week. 

What I like:

1. Diesel Cars have better FC and cheaper fuel

2. Very large boot space

3. Price wise similar to a Nissan Sylphy and a Honda City. Take that!

4. High torque and more than sufficient power

5. Be different on the road! 

Neutral Comments:

1. The basic model and the premium models are miles apart. The premium model has many more features. However, the price difference is quite significant as well

2. If you can get your hands on their management car, may be worth it as few months back COE is higher, but now they are selling at more than 10k cheaper, for just a few months of usage.

What I don't really like:

1. The steering is too light for a conti

2. Resale might be an issue? Not that it is not worth the price, but you need to find the right buyer

3. People might comment it looks and feels like a Renault taxi. 

4. Everyone (mostly other SEs) urging us to avoid French cars. I truly believe their quality is improving, but its still a big risk nevertheless

• Praise 1

Test drove this car last week. 

What I like:

1. Diesel Cars have better FC and cheaper fuel

2. Very large boot space

3. Price wise similar to a Nissan Sylphy and a Honda City. Take that!

4. High torque and more than sufficient power

5. Be different on the road! 

Neutral Comments:

1. The basic model and the premium models are miles apart. The premium model has many more features. However, the price difference is quite significant as well

2. If you can get your hands on their management car, may be worth it as few months back COE is higher, but now they are selling at more than 10k cheaper, for just a few months of usage.

What I don't really like:

1. The steering is too light for a conti

2. Resale might be an issue? Not that it is not worth the price, but you need to find the right buyer

3. People might comment it looks and feels like a Renault taxi. 

4. Everyone (mostly other SEs) urging us to avoid French cars. I truly believe their quality is improving, but its still a big risk nevertheless

Personally, I reckon that you should take whatever other SEs say with a pinch of salt as they would probably say anything they need to, in order to seal the deal with the brand that they are selling.

• Praise 1

I test drive the Renault Fluence 1.5 dCi privilege recently. Found it to be quite a nice drive.

Anyone currently driving this car can advise if it is a good buy?

Are there any reliability issues so far?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1