2024 6th Generation Renault Espace

Carbon82

The Espace has lost it way. Sorry but this is the ugliest Espace in its 30 year history... nothing but a bloated Kadjar / Koleos.

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

Now entering its sixth generation, it's basically abandoning all minivan cues.

Essentially, it's a long-wheelbase version of the Austral compact crossover with some minor changes to the design. While cars tend to grow in size and add weight, the new Espace bucks the trend since it's 140 mm shorter and 215 kg lighter than the minivan it replaces. It also rides 32 mm lower and has a more spacious third row, but you can have it with only five seats as well.

This midsize SUV come with a turbocharged 1.3-liter gasoline engine as a full hybrid with a pair of electric motors. The three-cylinder unit is good for 131 hp and 205 Nm of torque while the main electric motor is rated at 68 hp and 205 Nm. The second e-motor works as the starter generator with 25 hp and 50 Nm. Combined, Renault says the driver has access to 199 hp.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 3

Supercharged

Espace was the first MPV ever, now become a standard SUV with try-your-luck 3rd row.

They also had the iconic Scenic small MPV, last I saw it also morph into an SUV with super-thin tyres that you cannot buy anywhere.

I guess Renault also give up already

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 3/29/2023 at 6:26 AM, Carbon82 said:

The Espace has lost it way. Sorry but this is the ugliest Espace in its 30 year history... nothing but a bloated Kadjar / Koleos.

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

Essentially, it's a long-wheelbase version of the Austral compact crossover with some minor changes to the design. While cars tend to grow in size and add weight, the new Espace bucks the trend since it's 140 mm shorter and 215 kg lighter than the minivan it replaces. It also rides 32 mm lower and has a more spacious third row, but you can have it with only five seats as well.

This midsize SUV come with a turbocharged 1.3-liter gasoline engine as a full hybrid with a pair of electric motors. The three-cylinder unit is good for 131 hp and 205 Nm of torque while the main electric motor is rated at 68 hp and 205 Nm. The second e-motor works as the starter generator with 25 hp and 50 Nm. Combined, Renault says the driver has access to 199 hp.

Looks more SUV than an MPV

• Praise 1

On 3/29/2023 at 7:26 AM, Carbon82 said:

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

renault-espace-2023.jpg

Look ok to me. Like a stretched X-trail. Haha

Looks like petrol-hybrid will be the trend. I say this after I saw reviews on the Honda Civic eHEV which is a petrol-hybrid similar to what this Renault has although the Civic's 2L engine is an NA running on Atkinson cycle with direct fuel injection. It doesnt use a small cc TC engine. The NA is actually faster off the line (one to one half car lengths ahead) when compared to its 1.5L turbo variant bcos of turbo lag.

The battery pack i think they put in the hybrid is pretty small. I know the Civic's is only about 1.0+ kWh. Engine does the charging, no option of plug in. I dont think it needs plugin. Surprisingly the RS model has similar power to the TC 2.0L CTR, on paper that is.

Since the espace now is 215kg lighter than its predecessor I am guessing it also uses a small-ish battery pack.

The second e-motor working as the starter generator is actually an alternator that works as the start-stop system. It is also both a power generator to the electrical/electronic system and it does regeneration from braking to charge the battery pack. It is like a multi function alternator. Some cars are using it now. Pray hard it doesnt break down easily. It is not cheap with so many functions.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

dunno why european car manufacturers change all the mpv models to suv or terminate all the mpv lineup

🙄😑

On 3/29/2023 at 10:37 AM, Watwheels said:

Look ok to me. Like a stretched X-trail. Haha

Looks like petrol-hybrid will be the trend. I say this after I saw reviews on the Honda Civic eHEV which is a petrol-hybrid similar to what this Renault has although the Civic's 2L engine is an NA running on Atkinson cycle with direct fuel injection. It doesnt use a small cc TC engine. The NA is actually faster off the line (one to one half car lengths ahead) when compared to its 1.5L turbo variant bcos of turbo lag.

The battery pack i think they put in the hybrid is pretty small. I know the Civic's is only about 1.0+ kWh. Engine does the charging, no option of plug in. I dont think it needs plugin. Surprisingly the RS model has similar power to the TC 2.0L CTR, on paper that is.

Since the espace now is 215kg lighter than its predecessor I am guessing it also uses a small-ish battery pack.

The second e-motor working as the starter generator is actually an alternator that works as the start-stop system. It is also both a power generator to the electrical/electronic system and it does regeneration from braking to charge the battery pack. It is like a multi function alternator. Some cars are using it now. Pray hard it doesnt break down easily. It is not cheap with so many functions.

ha ha yes... Renault and Nissan collaborated right? until the ang mo Nissan CEO tio house arrest in JPN, then sneaked away back home to Europe...

• Haha! 1