Jump to content
peacenowar

All BMW owner thread

Recommended Posts

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Newbie26 said:

Just Heng Sway

never had issues with mine which had high mileage and was on yearly servicing till ripe old age

did you cut loss and dispose of it quickly? 

Yeah cut loss and changed to f02, very similar car but more space and inline 6💪

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
24 minutes ago, TameDriver said:

These are wear n tear issues, which are expected usually after 4 yrs....I've gotten used to having these parts changed in my beemers. 

 

It broke down twice a year, visited workshop so many times, waste time in the end took taxi. Have car like no car plus inconveniences and kena chop by workshop, really fed up and sold lol

  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
7 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

It broke down twice a year, visited workshop so many times, waste time in the end took taxi. Have car like no car plus inconveniences and kena chop by workshop, really fed up and sold lol

Feel for you bro.  

I have my fair share of cars being towed, eg. Brake motor fail, starter motor died, ignition coil (3 kaput but still can crawl but I opted for tow).  In between, had replacements of gaskets, housing, fuel pumps, water tank pump, coolant pump, wheel bearings, etc...I just took this issues as part of wear and tear....as long as the engine & gears are working fine, the car is functioning safely..for these, I'm so thankful liao.  

Just sharing my take on my different generations & models of bmws. 

 

 

 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
21 minutes ago, TameDriver said:

Feel for you bro.  

I have my fair share of cars being towed, eg. Brake motor fail, starter motor died, ignition coil (3 kaput but still can crawl but I opted for tow).  In between, had replacements of gaskets, housing, fuel pumps, water tank pump, coolant pump, wheel bearings, etc...I just took this issues as part of wear and tear....as long as the engine & gears are working fine, the car is functioning safely..for these, I'm so thankful liao.  

Just sharing my take on my different generations & models of bmws. 

 

 

 

The breakdown was under hot sun and had to wait tow truck to come took ages. Somemore i go malaysia for holiday 3-4x a year that time, getting breakdown is no joke there. Unless ur car under pml warranty can call tow to malaysia ad for repair and claim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
37 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

The breakdown was under hot sun and had to wait tow truck to come took ages. Somemore i go malaysia for holiday 3-4x a year that time, getting breakdown is no joke there. Unless ur car under pml warranty can call tow to malaysia ad for repair and claim

Wait under hot sun is really terrible! I'll melt for sure 🤪

I used to drive my beemers up to M'sia monthly, as far as Penang sometimes and 2-3 times yearly into Thailand until covid-19 put a stop to My Sheer Driving Pleasures. 😫

I stick with PML even after warranty. Yes, there is reciprocal assistance in M'sia via pml.  Had tried troubleshooting or replacing some parts in outside workshops but still ended up going back to pml for rectification.  And just to share, dun use OEM parts!  

Now with the new generation of models (sori, dun know about the lower specs ones), there is a button to activate in case of need. 

And, the system can relay the location to the breakdown assist. 

 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2020 at 10:25 AM, Potato-head said:

Hi,

i am looking for 2016/2017 4/5 Series. anyone can help to advice how is the fuel consumption and  maintenance cost?

pm me if you are interested. I know someone letting go June 2017 registered 520d, fully serviced by PML/PPSL/BIS and with 5 years warranty. Though roadtax may be higher, but if high mileage users, yearly saving will be about $1k+ on fuel.

 

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=921875&DL=3003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
On 8/29/2020 at 9:44 PM, TameDriver said:

Feel for you bro.  

I have my fair share of cars being towed, eg. Brake motor fail, starter motor died, ignition coil (3 kaput but still can crawl but I opted for tow).  In between, had replacements of gaskets, housing, fuel pumps, water tank pump, coolant pump, wheel bearings, etc...I just took this issues as part of wear and tear....as long as the engine & gears are working fine, the car is functioning safely..for these, I'm so thankful liao.  

Just sharing my take on my different generations & models of bmws. 

 

 

 

Wow quite a long laundry list of failed parts!  Maybe I should remove BMW from consideration for my next ride...

BTW Any bros can comment on the 2.0 turbo N20 184HP engine? Power(chip up or enough?) and reliability. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
9 hours ago, bmwcoding said:

anyone of you using BMW Apple CarPlay?

 

Pay and sign up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
8 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Wow quite a long laundry list of failed parts!  Maybe I should remove BMW from consideration for my next ride...

BTW Any bros can comment on the 2.0 turbo N20 184HP engine? Power(chip up or enough?) and reliability. 

I have owned the F30 320i for approximately 2 years. Power is ok, can overtake most cars on the road, and no issues with the reliability. My mechanic told me this engine and the 8-speed gearbox seldom have issues.

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
8 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Wow quite a long laundry list of failed parts!  Maybe I should remove BMW from consideration for my next ride...

BTW Any bros can comment on the 2.0 turbo N20 184HP engine? Power(chip up or enough?) and reliability. 

You should also read this post:

His long list could be attributable to high mileage.

BMW must try creamy smooth IL6.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

You should also read this post:

His long list could be attributable to high mileage.

BMW must try creamy smooth IL6.

I had the old non turbo IL6 in the 325Ci before. It was a nice looking car, even today. That one still had oil leak (when I bought used) despite low mileage. Only other problem was aircon evaporator. It only clocked 50+ k km when exported. Now deciding between 2.0T (and chip up) and 3.0T cars, whatever make.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

You should also read this post:

His long list could be attributable to high mileage.

BMW must try creamy smooth IL6.

His? Pretty sure @TameDriver is female. 

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged (edited)
15 hours ago, inlinesix said:

You should also read this post:

His long list could be attributable to high mileage.

BMW must try creamy smooth IL6.

On the contrary. All my bmws had mileage of less than 180,000km by their ninth year.  My 630i that was scrapped prematurely at 9.5 yrs, had only 160,000+km.  

Presently, my 2 yr old G30 clocked only 23,000+km & 3 yr old F26 less than 40k km.   

 

Edited by TameDriver
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
On 9/5/2020 at 12:17 AM, Volvobrick said:

Wow quite a long laundry list of failed parts!  Maybe I should remove BMW from consideration for my next ride...

BTW Any bros can comment on the 2.0 turbo N20 184HP engine? Power(chip up or enough?) and reliability. 

 

Gotta explain that those replaced parts are not a complete list But just a brief description of parts replaced over time and from 3 different bmws.  

IMO, one needs to have a pocket deep enough so as not to feel the pinch for every bit of necessary replacements/maintenance nor ever mindful of FC, etc....to fully enjoy having one. To me, expense is well spent when the machine I drive is maintained to perform optimally & safely.

Frankly, to really enjoy a drive in a beemer, its has got to be RWD too.  

Cheers!

 

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a 2010 F10 523. Wanted a 528 (3.0 NA) but it was not possible to indent one then although PML did bring in a couple of 528s later. 

Some of the issues were quite surreal. 

1. #Head unit failure, about 6 - 8 times. No sound from the speakers. No PDC, warning beeps or display on iDrive screen when reversing.  Thankfully, the car could still be driven.  

2. With each incident, suddenly, I had a Rolls-Royce! There was a menu for raising and lowering the “Spirit of Ecstacy” hood ornament 🙄. A B&O sound configuration menu popped up too (when I had the Hi-Fi Professional version). 

3. During warranty, the head unit had to be reprogrammed by PML overnight. It finally gave up the ghost, unfortunately, just a couple of days after the warranty expired. By this time, I had “developed” a good relationship with the service manager, so it was replaced at a heavily discounted price (or maybe FOC). 

4. Even after replacement, it continued to go on the blink on and off. Fortunately, R2D took 2 - 4 hours instead of overnight to reprogram it. 

5. #VANOS bolt failure. Diesel like clatter developed between idling speed & below 1,500 rpm. Brought the car to R2D, who diagnosed the issue on the spot. Although there was a worldwide recall, the failure occured after warranty but before PML issued the recall letter.  So PML refused to bear the cost. R2D rectified the issue within half a day. Even PML was astonished - they estimated 3+ days to confirm the diagnosis & for repairs.  Subsequently, PML issued the recall letter but refused to reimburse the cost of the R2D repairs, saying that they were performed before the recall.

6. Ignition coil failures - twice during warranty. 

Fortunately, other than the ignition coil failures and one starter motor failure, the car never broke down on me.

 

 

306EB182-96B1-4464-8A50-A63E06BA75EE.jpeg

A5731FEF-DB59-4D45-A716-8CC1A35AB2F8.jpeg

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
12 hours ago, TameDriver said:

Gotta explain that those replaced parts are not a complete list But just a brief description of parts replaced over time and from 3 different bmws.  

IMO, one needs to have a pocket deep enough so as not to feel the pinch for every bit of necessary replacements/maintenance nor ever mindful of FC, etc....to fully enjoy having one. To me, expense is well spent when the machine I drive is maintained to perform optimally & safely.

Frankly, to really enjoy a drive in a beemer, its has got to be RWD too.  

Cheers!

 

Errrr

 

to own bmw other than having deep pocket

 

you need to have another spare car

 

best is not bmw as spare 

 

as my friend both bmw got entered workshop together at same time😜

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×