Office space, cubicles or open concept?

DACH

14 members have voted

1. 1. Cubicles vs Open concept - which office layout is better?

• Cubicles
    • Open concept
    • A mix of both
    • Have my own room with sea view
    • Work from home
    • None

Supersonic

Open concept vs. cubicles – What’s right for your office?

Open-Concept-vs.-Cubicles-%E2%80%93-Whic

https://www.b2bnn.com/2015/01/open-concept-vs-cubicles-whats-right-office/

In Generation X, Douglas Coupland’s character called them “veal fattening pens”. Dilbert gave us the term “Cube farm”. The poor cubicle has been given rough treatment in popular culture while the exposed brick and open-concept office style television series situate in re-purposed factory lofts has fed into the hipster mystique of boutique advertising and “almost” artists studios.

In designing the ideal workspace, there are three key assumptions every company needs to address before deciding to go cubical or open concept or, more radically, with a mix of the two.

Is maximizing the use of space to save on real estate costs the biggest priority?

The maxim of “location, location, location” in our technologically interconnected world brings to mind only the funniest caricatures of inauthentic real estate agents. And yet, cities are economic performers and hot locations where everyone wants to be close to everyone else come at a premium. London, Toronto, New York and California’s Silicon Valley all stand as examples of the expense of convenient urbanity.

Cisco, which has offices in some of the world’s highest rent business districts, originally designed its offices with the assumption that employees would spend the majority of their work day working in cubicles. Instead, they found that employees were spending almost 65 percent of their time in meetings, in client locations off-site or working at untraditional hours from home offices. Their sales force was out-of-office for the vast majority of the work day.

The company employed a strategy that mixes cubicles, private meeting rooms and open concept areas with a practice better-known as hot-desking when employees can book the type of space they require to complete a specific task for different portions of the day.

“By designing a space without assigned seating, two-thirds of which is vacant at any given time, Cisco could comfortably assign more people to the same size building,” the company said in a self-published report of its experience. “The building used for the proof of concept could accommodate 140 employees compared to the 88 who would be assigned to the same space in a traditional Cisco building. Real estate costs would drop by 37 percent.”

However, not all business takes place in high-rent districts. Many companies outside traditional business areas do have space to spare. They can have a mix of workspace and meeting space solutions and offer their employees to choose the best option to meet their personal work style.

Is spontaneous interaction between non-team members a path to productivity?

The issue of personal work style and office space is just one consideration. While the current thinking views spontaneous interaction between various teams and departments to be a boon to innovation and problem-solving, too much communication can threaten productivity. The line companies have to walk between encouraging creative interactions between employees and supporting their productivity can be fine one. Just ask the IT staffer who gets waylaid on her way back from the coffee machine by colleagues who need her help with minor computer support issue after minor issue to the point she can’t get her project work done.

That fine line between interaction and productivity isn’t something only managers feel. It’s been well-documented with results split down the middle. According to a review of literature on workplace design conducted by management professor Anne-Laure Fayard and organizational behaviorist John Weeks for the Harvard Business Review, what we think we know about designing office space to support interaction can actually inhibit it and open-concept office spaces are often to blame.

“Common sense, it turns out, is a poor guide when it comes to designing for interaction,” the authors found. “Take the growing enthusiasm for replacing private offices with open floor plans in order to encourage community and collaboration. More than a dozen studies have examined the behavioral effects of such redesigns. There’s some evidence that removing physical barriers and bringing people closer to one another does promote casual interactions. But there’s a roughly equal amount of evidence that because open spaces reduce privacy, they don’t foster informal exchanges and may actually inhibit them.”

Are quiet time and assurances of privacy a priority?

Weeks and Fayard say that the need for privacy and the desire to support interaction are linked. You can’t have one without the other. They say that interaction comes down to privacy, proximity and permission.

“The physical requirements of privacy are the most obvious ones. At a minimum, people need to be confident that they can converse without being overheard,” the authors found. “To ensure such confidence, spaces must be designed with visibility and acoustics in mind; privacy is enhanced when others can’t see whom you are talking to and when you can see others approaching or within earshot. There’s a subtle implication here: True privacy allows you to control others’ access to you so that you can choose whether or not to interact.”

The humble and much-ridiculed cubicle may actually be the answer. The office and furniture designers and manufacturers Herman Miller recently published a research paper that went back to Bob Propst, the inventor of the Action Office, which is widely considered the first open- plan panel office design system. Propst proposed what we now recognize as the prototypical cubical in The Office: A Facility Based on Change, published in 1968.

Herman Miller Research, Design and Development Vice President Don Goeman and Rick Duffy made these observations: “It’s time for the office landscape to do what it’s supposed to do: reflect the realities of the work and the people populating it. It’s time for a new set of planning guidelines, planning tools, social arrangements, communication protocols, new group spaces, work plazas, team neighborhoods, and places for heads-down work alone. It’s time for a new species of interior elements, evolved to help people confront new demands in work environments.”

That means every company has to balance its real estate costs with its cultural need for both interaction and privacy, and for personal work style accommodations that result in employee satisfaction and greater productivity.

In terms of real world design, that calls for a careful balancing of solutions that mix cubicles, open concept spaces and usage models that may be set according to design, or reserved according to presence, the nature of the task at hand and time of day.

https://medium.com/@clearchoiceos/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-cubicles-and-open-plan-office-space-59bb556d215b

Advantages of Cubicles

- A cubicle provides privacy and a sense of ownership. It has a storage space in which an employee can lock his documents, files and other essentials.

- Cubicles add standardization in the office. Every employee gets the same space for working. This plays a part to boost the spirit of employees.

- You can create multiple separate workspaces in a large space. Cubicles allow you to utilize the available space in an optimized way. Well organized cubicles also reduce stress.

- Cubicles also reduce distractions as one employee does not know what’s going on in another cubicle.

Disadvantages of Cubicles

- Cubicles are cost effective and used office cubicles are more cost effective. Therefore, many companies buy too small or too many cubicles and employees cannot work in there comfortably.

- An employee cannot easily interact with employees sitting in other cubicles.

Advantages of Open Plan Office Space

- There are no physical barriers and employees can interact with each other easily. They can easily share project related important information.

- It also saves money as you need not buy cubicles.

Disadvantages of Open Plan Office Space

- The noise can distract employees who are not involved in the project being discussed.

- Apart from this, diseases like common cold are easily spread in open work space.

Edited by DACH
↡ Advertisement

Different job scope will have diff types.

For senior management - Own room

Manager & Execs - Open plan

Call centre and etc - Cubicles

Supersonic

Article says that disadvantage of cubicle, employees cannot easily interact with other colleagues. Dont think this apply to my office although my office using cubicles. Cause my colleagues still can easily interact with other colleagues in other cubicle by talking loudly across cubicles.  [rolleyes]

Supersonic

Article says that disadvantage of cubicle, employees cannot easily interact with other colleagues. Dont think this apply to my office although my office using cubicles. Cause my colleagues still can easily interact with other colleagues in other cubicle by talking loudly across cubicles. [rolleyes]

At least they talk. Many ppl whatsapp or even email the person sitting next to them...

Supersonic

At least they talk. Many ppl whatsapp or even email the person sitting next to them...

But if talking loudly across cubicles i would rather they use whatsapp or email. Lol.

Supersonic

nowadays whatsapp is the standard mode of comms for work. every small thing also setup a whatsapp group haha...

Turbocharged

My work here.

No wifi.

No google.

No social media.

No streaming sites.

Almost like china liao. Or maybe Nkorea.

Only intranet.

Supersonic

i'm not management but i share a room with my colleague in site office.

Sounds so lomantik

Supersonic

My work here.

No wifi.

No google.

No social media.

No streaming sites.

Almost like china liao. Or maybe Nkorea.

Only intranet.

garment...

Twincharged

Last time my table partition about 1.5 feet high from the table top, tired still can hide and sleep ... Now new concept is half a feet high only... My shiny head becomes a beacon when I lay my head on my arms on the table !

Supersonic

Last time my table partition about 1.5 feet high from the table top, tired still can hide and sleep ... Now new concept is half a feet high only... My shiny head becomes a beacon when I lay my head on my arms on the table !

No problemo if u in jeepun

post-1105-0-67654500-1525318872_thumb.png

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

though i've never really worked in an office environment. I would prefer cubicle at least, or else scratch my face or dig my nose also kana beo-ed  [laugh]

Supersonic

That's why most of them come before boss. Go back after boss.

In sg oso liddat. So as a responsible and caring boss, he/she shld come in late and leave on the dot....lol

Supersonic

Even partition is 1.5 feet high, there might still be colleagues walking past your cubicle or behind you lo. How to sleep le?

↡ Advertisement