Rat found inside raw chicken left outside Toa Payoh coffee s

Knoobie

Supercharged
(edited)

Source - Straits Times

SINGAPORE - THE SINGAPORE FOOD AGENCY (SFA) IS INVESTIGATING A CHICKEN RICE STALL IN TOA PAYOH AFTER A VIDEO OF A RAT INSIDE A RAW CHICKEN MADE THE ROUNDS ON SOCIAL MEDIA.
The video, which has been shared on Reddit and Facebook, shows the rat moving inside a chicken, which was placed in one of two bags of raw poultry.

The rat later scurries out of the chicken after the person filming the video kicks the basket.

The bags were in a blue basket placed outside a shuttered coffee shop located at Block 95 Toa Payoh Lorong 4.

When contacted on Wednesday (April 3), a spokesman for SFA said it is investigating the incident.

Food operators must ensure that food hygiene standards, such as storing raw ingredients properly, are adhered to.

The agency will not hesitate to take enforcement action if food hygiene lapses are found, its spokesman added.

Chinese-language daily Lianhe Wanbao reported that the stall owner who had ordered the chickens was the operator of the chicken rice stall at the coffee shop.

The stall was not operating on Wednesday but the stall owner, who was only named as Ah De, 34, was cleaning the stall when the Chinese newspaper visited the unit.

Mr Ah De told Wanbao that he was not sure when the video was taken, and he has not found any rats when handling the chickens.

"I previously requested the raw chicken supplier to use an additional basket so that the basket with the raw chickens are lifted and not left on the ground. Now something has happened, and I'm discussing the matter with them," he said.

The authorities inspected his stall on Wednesday morning, and he decided to close for the day, though the food had already been prepared and remained unsold, Mr Ah De added.

He is planning to change food suppliers and request compensation from his current supplier.

Several netizens who saw the video on social media said that it is unhygienic for raw chicken to be left in the open.

Some said that the fault lies with the supplier while others felt that both the stall owner and supplier were at fault.

Facebook user Na Naah said that since the delivery was made early in the day, the raw food should have been kept in sealed ice boxes.

Members of the public who come across errant food operators can submit a report to SFA via an online feedback form (https://csp.sfa.gov.sg/feedback).

Guess this week no one dare eat chicken rice?

Edited by Knoobie
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Supersonic
(edited)

I dont feel surprise that such things might happened at food stall. Cause notice food operators always like to leave their uncooked food or even cooked food in the open at the stall, and dont think they can have the time to look at the food every second, confirmed there is risk that pests might suddenly appeared from somewhere and crawl over those food items.

There was once i saw a baby roach crawling at the chopsticks placed at the food stall meant for customers use de. Such thing sometimes really difficult to ensure.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 2

I once saw the raw chicken supplier doing delivery to one of the kfc branches. Problem is the branch has yet to open, I think the staff was late. The delivery man no choice but to leave the frozen chicken outside the branch. The frozen chicken started to thaw and the chicken blood was all over the shopping mall's floor. Very unslightly.

This could be the similar thing that's going on for the incident above. Store owner not around when the raw chicken is delivered.

• Praise 1

It's the whole culture lah ..... here, Malaysia, Thailand etc etc . All same same. Look at our food centres + markets ........ 

• Praise 2

Supercharged

I once saw the raw chicken supplier doing delivery to one of the kfc branches. Problem is the branch has yet to open, I think the staff was late. The delivery man no choice but to leave the frozen chicken outside the branch. The frozen chicken started to thaw and the chicken blood was all over the shopping mall's floor. Very unslightly.

This could be the similar thing that's going on for the incident above. Store owner not around when the raw chicken is delivered.

I saw the same in HK.

Van pulls up in side street during heavy rain.

Guy opens door of van and throws maybe 50 frozen chickens out of van onto street floor and into puddles, no ponding in HK.

When finished unloading the guy knocks on the back door of KFC and drives off.

No one comes out of KFC and I wander away wet from rain.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

I saw the same in HK.

Van pulls up in side street during heavy rain.

Guy opens door of van and throws maybe 50 frozen chickens out of van onto street floor and into puddles, no ponding in HK.

When finished unloading the guy knocks on the back door of KFC and drives off.

No one comes out of KFC and I wander away wet from rain.

Looks like stomach must be very strong to be able to withstand from all these practise from food vendors?! If not the person would get LS often even a bit of handling of the food is not clean?!

Turbocharged

It's the whole culture lah ..... here, Malaysia, Thailand etc etc . All same same. Look at our food centres + markets ........

Lar sarp jiak lar sarp tua :D
  • Praise 5

Supersonic

Lar sarp jiak lar sarp tua :D

Agreed. If a person gets too clean on the food he/she eats, if just a bit of lar sarp would get diarrhoea easily. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

i always believe that people tend to perceive food here are cleaner than neighboring countries. 

Supercharged

Dont expect outside to be clean lah. Just train up your stomach to take dirty food, so a trip to neighbouring country to try their street food is a good way to train up.  :ninja:

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Dont expect outside to be clean lah. Just train up your stomach to take dirty food, so a trip to neighbouring country to try their street food is a good way to train up.  

By training up your stomach to take dirty food means have to pay a high price for it le. Like getting many LS or even vomiting before your stomach becomes stronger?! Anyway getting LS from dirty food not a fun thing many people would want to go through de.

Supercharged

By training up your stomach to take dirty food means have to pay a high price for it le. Like getting many LS or even vomiting before your stomach becomes stronger?! Anyway getting LS from dirty food not a fun thing many people would want to go through de.

Unless high SES can always eat at restaurant (also bo bao the food is clean) or settle every meal at home. If not start by eating a bit 1st and slowly increase the volume  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Agreed. If a person gets too clean on the food he/she eats, if just a bit of lar sarp would get diarrhoea easily. 

This is obvious.

Would you believe that the converse is also true?

A friend told me years ago, that an engineer colleague from India was spending a short stint over here in their SG office. The fella came here, first couple of days LS...

And they suspect that the normally solid stomach - maybe everyday feeding on any of the bacteria rampantly found there in their food - maybe was not used to the sudden change...

[laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3