Cyclist, 65, died after accident with e-scooter rider in Bedok North

Ender

I have 3 BILs. All 3 drive. All 3 of them have e-scooters.

One travels intra-estate to go to his workplace. One uses it to go buy food from neighbourhood center. One uses it to go between his shop and the MRT station to transact goods/sales. And they aren't even heavy users. 

I have a scooter which i don't use. But my wife uses her uniwheel to go to the Mall beside MRT etc even though she has her own car.

So realistically speaking, only a blanket ban will work. Cos it's just super pervasive in everyday heartlander life.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

13 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Saying food delivery can’t be done without PMD is just BS.

Use a bicycle or a proper motorcycle, like last time. Simple as that.

So true!

4 hours ago, Vratenza said:

Cycling/kick scooters within estates. Motorcycle for further distance or bulkier items. It can even be electrical motorcycles once the technology is mature enough to fit a decent size battery into a motorcycle. 

The environmental cost of lithium ion battery production, coal burning to produce electricity to charge these PMD has not even been discussed yet. Have we considered any proper environmentally safe Disposal of these lithium ion batteries? 

Have our people at the top of the food chain considered all these before allowing the influx of pmd and now scrambling to deal. With the aftermath? They had a chance to nib it in the bud at it's nascence, but failed to do so. How many more lives must be lost and family broken before they take firm hard action? 

I have never seen chewing gum kill anyone or land anyone in hospital, yet it was banned in a jiffy. 

The people at the top had their chance at regulating the PMDs...they evidently failed and it is time to ban. Period. 

I remember not too long ago, PMDs were still illegal. They were only allowed on private premises. Who allowed the influx? Obviously, not the people at the top of food chain! It should be the cheng hu, in particular MOT, LTA and of  course Doc Lam...

To solve the problem - BAN

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

So true!

Like @voodooman mentioned.

True is food delivery will cost at least 10 dollars and won't take off in a big way. Even now it's at 3-4 dollars per trip only because it's heavily subsidised by VC funds. I expect within 1-2 years when the funds come low, it will probably at least rise to 5-6 dollars minimum. 

And if u need a motorcycle which costs thousands of dollars more than a scooter ... Anything less than 10 dollars will probably be it's true cost except Macdonald's, pizza delivery which have large economies of scale (both in terms of ingredient/product cost + volume to ensure need for riders to deliver) to provide such services. 

If food delivery cost $10 per trip, will there be demand? 
Yes but probably a lot more price sensitive people will stop. Then almost guaranteed a lot of F&B businesses the smaller ones will find it not viable anymore. I would say for many F&B outlets, now at least 10-20% of their business comes from food delivery. 

• Praise 4

Using bicycles only is really a bit BS lah. Those who say bicycles are often used. Maybe if got 50 delivery riders, u see one bicycle one. I haven't even seen one bicycle based one for many months already. How many trips can u do on bicycle? Say 1 trip is easily few km back and fro in most estates.
Motorcycles only.

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

True is food delivery will cost at least 10 dollars and won't take off in a big way. Even now it's at 3-4 dollars per trip only because it's heavily subsidised by VC funds. I expect within 1-2 years when the funds come low, it will probably at least rise to 5-6 dollars minimum. 

And if u need a motorcycle which costs thousands of dollars more than a scooter ... Anything less than 10 dollars will probably be it's true cost except Macdonald's, pizza delivery which have large economies of scale (both in terms of ingredient/product cost + volume to ensure need for riders to deliver) to provide such services. 

Yes but probably a lot more price sensitive people will stop. Then almost guaranteed a lot of F&B businesses the smaller ones will find it not viable anymore. I would say for many F&B outlets, now at least 10-20% of their business comes from food delivery. 

No food delivery also good sometimes, make the kitchen work like shit. Sometimes at the expense of people dining there. Long waiting time.

Anyway, some food just shouldn’t have delivery. Fries is one thing, it’s always soft and soggy when delivered. Eat fresh at the restaurant is the best.

ok, off topic. Want to regulate, regulate until buey tahan then all give up. Like Obike, Mobike, Ofo.

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

No food delivery also good sometimes, make the kitchen work like shit. Sometimes at the expense of people dining there. Long waiting time.

Anyway, some food just shouldn’t have delivery. Fries is one thing, it’s always soft and soggy when delivered. Eat fresh at the restaurant is the best.

ok, off topic. Want to regulate, regulate until buey tahan then all give up. Like Obike, Mobike, Ofo.

People rather eat soggy fries than eat their instant noodles [laugh]

I'm pretty sure that instant noodles sales in SG have dropped since Food delivery started in a big way in the last 2 years [laugh]

I'm the opposite. I order food delivery really once a while. Whereas some people here, use it like daily. I know so many people who use it at least 5-6 times a week. I've a friend who uses it 100% of the time he's home. Their kitchen is only to store cutlery and plates.

If want, will need blanket ban. BUT this will piss off more than 100k people off. [:p]

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

I remember not too long ago, PMDs were still illegal. They were only allowed on private premises. Who allowed the influx? Obviously, not the people at the top of food chain! It should be the cheng hu, in particular MOT, LTA and of  course Doc Lam...

To solve the problem - BAN

Govt allow PMD in the first place. Then all sorts of accidents occur. Now to BAN PMD is a loss of face for the govt.

I doubt they will want to throw face. Very MALU.

• Praise 6

29 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

People rather eat soggy fries than eat their instant noodles [laugh]

I'm pretty sure that instant noodles sales in SG have dropped since Food delivery started in a big way in the last 2 years [laugh]

I'm the opposite. I order food delivery really once a while. Whereas some people here, use it like daily. I know so many people who use it at least 5-6 times a week. I've a friend who uses it 100% of the time he's home. Their kitchen is only to store cutlery and plates.

If want, will need blanket ban. BUT this will piss off more than 100k people off. [:p]

Sure or not bro?

soggy fries?? 🤮

😅

35 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Using bicycles only is really a bit BS lah. Those who say bicycles are often used. Maybe if got 50 delivery riders, u see one bicycle one. I haven't even seen one bicycle based one for many months already. How many trips can u do on bicycle? Say 1 trip is easily few km back and fro in most estates.
Motorcycles only.

i may be wrong... the start stop nature of delivery journey is definite.. on a bicycle, it will be many times more physically demanding... maybe earlier knee cap surgery..

some who use food delivery to earn a pittance will be physically unable to do it.. hard choice

19 minutes ago, Playtime said:

i may be wrong... the start stop nature of delivery journey is definite.. on a bicycle, it will be many times more physically demanding... maybe earlier knee cap surgery..

some who use food delivery to earn a pittance will be physically unable to do it.. hard choice

Consumers want convenience. And delivery services are now the only service with growth. With trade war etc, regular business courier service is plateaued. I think most lower income Singaporeans rather do delivery than say work in F&B. Retail/F&B has long hours and less flexibility.
While there are PRC and malaysians doing delivery, they are the minority.

Almost all my friends don't go to the supermarket anymore. They either use redmart or other other delivery services. 

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

That's the problem with the artificially depressed low cost of delivery.... People get addicted to this lazy lifestyle.. 

Before the advert of pmd food deliveries, people are walking or taking a short bus ride to nearby hawker centres to have dinner. Or tabao food from town centres on way back from work.

That is exextly the problem with our construction and manufacturing industries fattened by years of cheap foreign labour's from. The region and malaysia. See how difficult is to wean these industry off the FW when they try to tighten the quota? 

• Praise 5

25 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Got video got talk. 150km/h max speed along TMCR. 

I thought police like to catch people here. Like the LCK road.

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

That's the problem with the artificially depressed low cost of delivery.... People get addicted to this lazy lifestyle.. 

Before the advert of pmd food deliveries, people are walking or taking a short bus ride to nearby hawker centres to have dinner. Or tabao food from town centres on way back from work.

That is exextly the problem with our construction and manufacturing industries fattened by years of cheap foreign labour's from. The region and malaysia. See how difficult is to wean these industry off the FW when they try to tighten the quota? 

Agreed. It is artificial and the carousel will stop one day.

Haha outsourcing is the best way to maximise time. All the productivity gurus teach one [:p]
Get a maid/part time helper. Now food prep and u are not limited to that coffeeshop/hawker center for dinner [laugh]

7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I thought police like to catch people here. Like the LCK road.

Nowadays seldom see the police or LTA mounting speed enforcement ops along TMCR already, as the stretch has a few speed cameras. 

Edited by Lethalstrike

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Consumers want convenience. And delivery services are now the only service with growth. With trade war etc, regular business courier service is plateaued. I think most lower income Singaporeans rather do delivery than say work in F&B. Retail/F&B has long hours and less flexibility.
While there are PRC and malaysians doing delivery, they are the minority.

Almost all my friends don't go to the supermarket anymore. They either use redmart or other other delivery services. 

no doubt pmd got alot of good points, 

but now i think the bad point is much much more then the good.

using pmd need alot of self control and constrain. every 1 must be very automatic.

sad to sad i think our society is not ready for it yet...

i remember an old sci fri movie (  sphere ) human got their hand on advance alien tech, suppose to help them, but they kill themself with it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3