COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

2 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

More to come at the rate we're going. Esp with the 3rd infected patient having traveled to Orchard, MBS and Gardens by the Bay on public transport. Crazy.

These are the most crowded places! Super easy to pass on to others people! Coming cny period i dont know still ok to go to tourists spot?

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Countries should not need to close their borders to China tourists.

China people especially if they come from Wuhan need to take the responsibility and think for themselves do they really want to go on holiday now and potentially spread the virus to innocent people in other countries?

If I was working in Wuhan I would not travel home and risk spreading the virus to the rest of my family. Do I really want to put my loved ones at risk?

No I would not. I would just get my MIL to come and celebrate CNY with me in Wuhan. 

Let her try the delicious snake and bat which they eat alive. I cannot join her as I am a temporary vegetarian.

:grin:

image.png.478167b42c726ac5ae71c8e19ba3474c.png

You are talking about Tiongs, descendents of dragon with few thousand years of glorious tradition. That's why they don't think and behave like normal, less advanced societies ok. 

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
4 hours ago, 13177 said:

These are the most crowded places! Super easy to pass on to others people! Coming cny period i dont know still ok to go to tourists spot?

If its not a must just stay at home or your family/relatives/friends place. Avoid the touristy spots because that's where the tiongs are. 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
7 hours ago, Stooky said:

What happpened at Compass One just now?

EPCqYgcU4AArZ-n.jpg

In Halloween costume and queue up outside Swenson's?

Joke aside... Better avoid crowded places for now, or put on masks if there's a need to do so. Not difficult.. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
4 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

If its not a must just stay at home or your family/relatives/friends place. Avoid the touristy spots because that's where the tiongs are. 

going to family/relative/friends place probably increases the risk as you do not know where they have been, if they are carriers, etc.

stay at home best, or consider who is worth the risk to you.

But then again, this is singapore. I expect to see nobody with mask later.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
Just now, Etnt said:

going to family/relative/friends place probably increases the risk as you do not know where they have been, if they are carriers, etc.

stay at home best, or consider who is worth the risk to you.

But then again, this is singapore. I expect to see nobody with mask later.

Its CNY its gonna be hard to expect everyone to stay home and don't visit. Best situation would be to visit who you need to visit and don't go populated areas like the River ANG bao or whatever. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

that's why I say consider who is worth the risk lor.

for me, only my parent and in-laws, that's it.

weigh your own risk appetite.

• Praise 2

7 hours ago, Jellandross said:

You are talking about Tiongs, descendents of dragon with few thousand years of glorious tradition. That's why they don't think and behave like normal, less advanced societies ok. 

They are above us all is it?

So that's why rules don't apply to them.

Second US case confirmed. 

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/924231?nlid=133634_2243&src=WNL_mdplsnews_200124_mscpedit_infd&uac=263423AK&spon=3&impID=2255336&faf=1

Not sure if the above link is accessible without registration, so:

Second US Coronavirus Patient Confirmed

Therese Borden

January 24, 2020

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have confirmed a second case of the infectious coronavirus, 2019-nCoV, in the United States at a Jan. 24, 2020, press briefing.

The first U.S. case, a traveler who entered the United States at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, was confirmed on Jan. 20.

A Chicago resident returning from Wuhan, China, on Jan. 13, 2020, developed symptoms of the disease and contacted her health care clinician and is currently being treated in isolation at an unnamed hospital, according to Nancy Messonnier, MD, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC. The patient, a woman in her 60s, is in stable condition and remains hospitalized. She was not symptomatic on her flight to Chicago but developed symptoms in the following days after her return from Wuhan. She had limited contacts after her return, and all potential contacts are being tracked.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

As of 8:19am, total cases in China (including HK, MO & TW)

1,287 Confirmed (Hubei: 729)

1,965 suspected (Hubei: ??)

38 recovered (Hubei: 32)

41 death (Hubei: 39)

• Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Second US case confirmed. 

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/924231?nlid=133634_2243&src=WNL_mdplsnews_200124_mscpedit_infd&uac=263423AK&spon=3&impID=2255336&faf=1

Not sure if the above link is accessible without registration, so:

3rd case in France yesterday 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/24/europe/france-wuhan-coronavirus/index.html

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-24/no-fever-in-some-china-virus-carriers-makes-detection-harder

bloomberg say one

The whole airport screening exercise is to simply give people comfort that there is some government action to protect the public,” said Ramanan Laxminarayan, director of the Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy in Washington, D.C. “It has no real public health utility in the case of coronaviruses. What really matters is surveillance, infection control and isolation.

China said Wednesday it would implement screening nationally, and countries from Singapore to the U.S. have also started monitoring the body temperature of arrivals from China. Relying solely on thermometers isn’t sufficient to catch all possible cases, according to David Heymann, an infectious disease researcher in the U.K. who advises the World Health Organization.

“Alone as a means of keeping infection out of countries, they provide a false security,” said Heymann. People can cross borders without a fever then get sick after their arrival and taking paracetamol or aspirin can bring a fever down so it isn’t detected, he said.

I think Hong Kong is still at only 1 confirmed case

and now USA has 100% more confirmed cases than Hong Kong.

Hong Kong is the safest country in terms of the Wuhan virus.

They have persuaded China people not to visit them and

all the good people wear face mask already.

They economy may be not doing so well 

but all the people are healthy.

In the long term I think they will benefit from this.

Better to do business in Hong Kong than Wuhan.

You might not come out alive if you went to Wuhan to do biz.

• Haha! 7

1 hour ago, Etnt said:

that's why I say consider who is worth the risk lor.

for me, only my parent and in-laws, that's it.

weigh your own risk appetite.

Me too.

Only worth risking in MIL.

The other members of my family I will not put them at risk.

Absolutely will not put them at risk.

• Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

I think Hong Kong is still at only 1 confirmed case

and now USA has 100% more confirmed cases than Hong Kong.

Hong Kong is the safest country in terms of the Wuhan virus.

They have persuaded China people not to visit them and

all the good people wear face mask already.

They economy may be not doing so well 

but all the people are healthy.

In the long term I think they will benefit from this.

Better to do business in Hong Kong than Wuhan.

You might not come out alive if you went to Wuhan to do biz.

HK has 5 confirmed cases as of 10am

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1