2022 Mazda CX-5 Facelift

Carbon82

2022 Mazda CX-5 Revealed With Updated Design, Standard All-Wheel Drive 

2022-mazda-cx-5.jpg

2022-mazda-cx-5.jpg

2022-mazda-cx-5.jpg

2022-mazda-cx-5.jpg

2022-mazda-cx-5.jpg

There are more changes than meets the eye as the 2022 CX-5 benefits from a more responsive six-speed automatic transmission delivering smoother acceleration. Not only that, but the compact SUV now features a different suspension to better iron out vibrations and diminish road noise courtesy of a new dampening control structure and higher frame rigidity.

Another important update is all-wheel drive being made standard across the range. As a matter of fact, Mazda is offering AWD as standard equipment on all CX models going forward. From the subcompact CX-30 to the midsize CX-9, every single SUV sold by the company will have an all-paw system even in the entry-level trim.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Haha OK. They still using their 6AT from ten years ago. Looks like they may use this gearbox until their whole range go electric... 

Don't need a Awd system to handle the torque of a 2.0 and 2.5L NA LOL. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

8 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Haha OK. They still using their 6AT from ten years ago. Looks like they may use this gearbox until their whole range go electric... 

Yeah . 2.0 add 4wd will have more weight n fc will be affected..  but works wonder during heavy downpour n flooding 

• Praise 2

8 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I think people who go overlanding or off-road do not like turbo in their cars. It's much harder to control and unnecessary. 

In Hokkaido, most of the rented cars there are awd with puny engines. 

• Praise 2

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/i-activawd/

It is still a FWD. The AWD is electronic controlled that sends torque to the rear wheels when needed to. Imo much like the one found in the Honda CRV. With extra AWD transmission shaft, rear diff, the extra weight, likely higher fuel consumption...what for siah?

By making the model come standard with such features they are increasing the selling price.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Lala81 said:

that 6sp auto is so much better than all the cvt out there.

shift v smoothly

• Praise 5

2 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

I think people who go overlanding or off-road do not like turbo in their cars. It's much harder to control and unnecessary. 

In Hokkaido, most of the rented cars there are awd with puny engines. 

Indeed in Japan many small cars have AWD, maybe for use in their mountainous terrains and some snowy conditions.

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, DylanChen said:

shift v smoothly

yeah don't fix what's broken. I mean paired to their 2.5L turbo yeah sure. 
But have to say that engine/drive train improvement in mazdas have been anaemic for many years. Well whole world is going electric soon, i guess ok lah, save money.

Last i heard, Mazda sales have been losing ground in the US compared to it's competitors.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

yeah don't fix what's broken. I mean paired to their 2.5L turbo yeah sure. 
But have to say that engine/drive train improvement in mazdas have been anaemic for many years. Well whole world is going electric soon, i guess ok lah, save money.

Last i heard, Mazda sales have been losing ground in the US compared to it's competitors.

Hope they introduce more hybrid models.  Toyota and Honda almost every models got hybrid and ICE variants.

3 hours ago, DylanChen said:

shift v smoothly

Yes, I agree it is very smooth, I test drove a mazda 6.

It felt even more smoother (i describe it as linear feeling) than a cvt gearbox with a small turbo engine.

• Praise 3

14 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

Yes, I agree it is very smooth, I test drove a mazda 6.

It felt even more smoother (i describe it as linear feeling) than a cvt gearbox with a small turbo engine.

About 15 years ago, i bought a PI Toyota equipped with their so-called Super-CVT. Terrible.😑😓

• Praise 2

Mazda is going upmarket for sure. AWD and soon IL6 engine... 

Mazda Confirms Next CX-5 With Straight-Six Engine, New Platform 

2ZKNlvp.jpg

The biggest news about the next iteration of the crossover is that it will be sitting on a new platform and will be powered by an inline-six engine. Thanks to a presentation to journalists in the Land Down Under, Mazda Australia Managing Director Vinesh Bhindi has confirmed both.

"Mazda continues to invest in high-efficiency combustion engines, with SkyActiv-X, and the new generation straight-six engine family that will power our new-generation large-platform products, which is CX-5 and above," Bhindi said in a presentation to journalists, as reported by Australia's carsales. 

• Praise 5

On 9/16/2021 at 8:55 AM, Watwheels said:

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/i-activawd/

It is still a FWD. The AWD is electronic controlled that sends torque to the rear wheels when needed to. Imo much like the one found in the Honda CRV. With extra AWD transmission shaft, rear diff, the extra weight, likely higher fuel consumption...what for siah?

By making the model come standard with such features they are increasing the selling price.

4WD is broken down into a few version.

The really old school "real" ones are the Suzuki / LAnd Rover defender with the ability to switch from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.

The more advance ones are the ones from WRX STi / EVO X.

Then of course there are those marketing hype - 4WD, or passive 4WD / active 4WD / real Time 4WD that do not drag the car down like a tractor but still lug around the real Diff...

The better ones are those from the Focus RS with drift modes.

So to answer the question.. for what.. well, if suddenly go into a ditch or unpave road like one gravel and one tarmac, there is a "chance" that you wll not be left stranded . ( not much happening in SG unless you go into a service road )

The weight "gain" is not worth it in my opinion. But the min you go down a corner hard and the 4WD kicks in, its nice to know its there.

Edited by Sdf4786k

19 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

The really old school "real" ones are the Suzuki / LAnd Rover defender with the ability to swnitch from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.

Then of course there are those marketing hype - 4WD, or passive 4WD / active 4WD / real Time 4WD that do not drag the car down like a tractor but still lug around the real Diff...

So to answer the question.. for what.. well, if suddenly go into a ditch or unpave road like one gravel and one tarmac, there is a "chance" that you wll not be left stranded . ( not much happening in SG unless you go into a service road )

The weight "gain" is not worth it in my opinion. But the min you go down a corner hard and the 4WD kicks in, its nice to know its there.

I think from the article the Mazda system is AWD which is constantly active. Not those 4WD system which can be switchable between 2WD or 4WD which some vehs even have high and low ranges in 4WD.

29 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

The really old school "real" ones are the Suzuki / LAnd Rover defender with the ability to switch from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.

What you said about the ole skool or real 4WD is misleading.

Those so call ole skool 4WD has a locking diff, which is denoted by 4HL & 4LL.

This locking diff can only be used in offroad conditions.  Otherwise, locking diff will be spoilt.

Mitsubishi and G-wagen has open diff to distribute power to all 4 wheels.

For serious off-road, locking diff is required.  Otherwise, tio stuck confirm cannot come out.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1