Grinding racket

Lala81

Lol was driving my car to work. Then on the xoressway slip road started hearing this grinding racket. 

First thought is I got a flat again and the rim is scrapping the floor. Reached work but no flat. Nothing dragging from under carriage. Racket continuous as long as wheels are running. 

Lol sounds horrible. 

Gotta go work shop tomorrow.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)
23 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Lol was driving my car to work. Then on the xoressway slip road started hearing this grinding racket. 

First thought is I got a flat again and the rim is scrapping the floor. Reached work but no flat. Nothing dragging from under carriage. Racket continuous as long as wheels are running. 

Lol sounds horrible. 

likely you have a worn out brake pad or your parking brake pads are worn out. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 4

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

likely you have a worn out brake pad or your parking brake pads are worn out. 

My front brake pads were changed and my rear ones still 50% few months ago when I got my flat tire. 

And the sound is there without braking.  The screeching sound of the brakes at the middle part is likely some irregular surface of the rotor or brake pad which doesn't affect the brakes. 

Edited by Lala81

(edited)

It could be parking brake pads, or some objects get stuck around the brake rotor area . A jack up by mechanic should be able to diagnose the cause quickly. It could be a losen brake dust cover as well.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 4

13 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

It could be parking brake pads, or some objects get stuck around the brake rotorsl area . A jack up by mechanic should be able to diagnose the cause quickly. It could be a losen brake dust cover as well.

Yeah hopefully it's something minor like that. 

Coming from driver side. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I once had a pebble stuck between the brake disc and the dust shield. All the mech did was to rotate the wheel in the opposite direction and the pebble fell out. 
maybe you can try to reverse if you have not already done so. 

• Praise 4

@Lala81, you can rotate the wheel to the extreme right and look at the brake assembly area from the front of the front wheel, then rote the same to the extreme left and check from the rear of front wheel to see if there is anything obvious. .

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

I once had a pebble stuck between the brake disc and the dust shield. All the mech did was to rotate the wheel in the opposite direction and the pebble fell out. 
maybe you can try to reverse if you have not already done so. 

Reversed for parking 3 times already. 

Internal Moderator

Quite loud thou. If you cannot find the issue, then you need a better sound system to mask away the sound. 

Mark can settle this. 

Mark levinson. 🤣

• Haha! 5

42 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Quite loud thou. If you cannot find the issue, then you need a better sound system to mask away the sound. 

Mark can settle this. 

Mark levinson. 🤣

Why waste money when he can just use his stethoscope to mask out all the outside noise.😁

(edited)

last time I kenna this weird sound (less metallic) similar in presentation, when I move have sound when I reverse also have but softer...

detoured to a carpark and peered underneath, got a large tree branch stuck under the carriage....

I was not driving Lexus that time so maybe that's why I can hear and the other lady cannot...😋

Edited by Vratenza
  • Haha! 3

15 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Lol sounds horrible. 

I had that issue on my Japanese car years back..

the life span of the wheel bearing probably reached the EOL…

Some sides are more susceptible, probably because the wheel which clipped Kerbs more often

(edited)

OK. Was driving out of my estate to go to sin Ming workshop with the racket, heard a thuck sound and then the sound changed. No longer so grinding (metal/metal sound). 

Then drove out onto main road heading to sin Ming. Sound came back again then completely disappeared. Seems to be gone for good. I just took the car for a good fifteen min drive. Seems OK. So instead drove to Teck ghee market to dabao. 

Maybe some bolt got loose or gravel stone got caught and started grinding up against the moving parts. 

Ah well... 7.5 year old car, let sleeping dogs lie. If got daiji again then see how lol. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 6

2 hours ago, Vratenza said:

last time I kenna this weird sound (less metallic) similar in presentation, when I move have sound when I reverse also have but softer...

detoured to a carpark and peered underneath, got a large tree branch stuck under the carriage....

I was not driving Lexus that time so maybe that's why I can hear and the other lady cannot...😋

I did get on my knees and looked at under carriage but nothing dragging. 

Once I kept hearing something that kept sounding like something hitting my wheel arches. 

Lol checked my tyres OK. Then went to examine the groves of the tire, got a  cable tie wedged in the Groove acting like a whip lol. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
18 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Lol sounds horrible. 

I kena something similar b4. Initially sounded like exhaust pipe came loose. Checked undercarriage no problemo. Checked pads & rotor, nothing was loose.

Dumbfounded, i drove it to PA immediately. They removed wheels, cleaned up the rotors w jet spray n noise disappeared after that. They said probably some small pebble stuck between rotor n disc.

• Praise 3

(edited)
2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I did get on my knees and looked at under carriage but nothing dragging. 

Once I kept hearing something that kept sounding like something hitting my wheel arches. 

Lol checked my tyres OK. Then went to examine the groves of the tire, got a  cable tie wedged in the Groove acting like a whip lol. 

So how ? Is your car in a clinic now? Share with us what is wrong, i will give you thumbs up for info sharing😁

Edited by Ct3833

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

OK. Was driving out of my estate to go to sin Ming workshop with the racket, heard a thuck sound and then the sound changed. No longer so grinding (metal/metal sound). 

Then drove out onto main road heading to sin Ming. Sound came back again then completely disappeared. Seems to be gone for good. I just took the car for a good fifteen min drive. Seems OK. So instead drove to Teck ghee market to dabao. 

Maybe some bolt got loose or gravel stone got caught and started grinding up against the moving parts. 

Ah well... 7.5 year old car, let sleeping dogs lie. If got daiji again then see how lol. 

I'll be worried about the bolt that got loose enough to rub against a moving part and suddenly stopped.....it could not have re-tightened itself for sure 😅

especially when it comes to the suspension/brake assembly, better to send it in for a thorough check to be safe.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3