DIY: how to fasten wall cabinets

Bluepica

Hi hi,

My wall hanging shoe rack is like dropping off from the wall soon cos the gap between the cabinet and the wall is getting huge till the sealant have been torn off from the wall.

The shoe rack is quite huge (7' x 2.5') but I saw it is only fastened by 8 screws to the wall (4 top and 4 bottom)... and our HDB wall bricks are quite hollow, the screws and wall plug might get loosened over time.

Question : How do I add in additional screws to tightened the cabinet back to the wall? I saw carpenter usually use those long screws that have a white color wall plug attached to it. What do you call those screws?

Do I need to use a wood drill bits to drill the cabinet till it reaches the wall and then continue with a concrete drill bit

OR can I just use a concrete drill bit to drill the cabinet all the way into the wall, then plug in the screw with wall plug?

What size of the drill bit and the screw with wall plug should I look for (length x width) ?

Thanks for the DIY guru here.

↡ Advertisement

Wouldn’t a metal washer ( like 5 -10 cent coin size with a hole ) not support the weight with a screw going thru it ??

I think the other one is like a butterfly screw as you described it as far as I know but used more in false ceiling ( me thinks so only ) 

Edited by BanCoe

53 minutes ago, Bluepica said:

Hi hi,

My wall hanging shoe rack is like dropping off from the wall soon cos the gap between the cabinet and the wall is getting huge till the sealant have been torn off from the wall.

The shoe rack is quite huge (7' x 2.5') but I saw it is only fastened by 8 screws to the wall (4 top and 4 bottom)... and our HDB wall bricks are quite hollow, the screws and wall plug might get loosened over time.

Question : How do I add in additional screws to tightened the cabinet back to the wall? I saw carpenter usually use those long screws that have a white color wall plug attached to it. What do you call those screws?

Do I need to use a wood drill bits to drill the cabinet till it reaches the wall and then continue with a concrete drill bit

OR can I just use a concrete drill bit to drill the cabinet all the way into the wall, then plug in the screw with wall plug?

What size of the drill bit and the screw with wall plug should I look for (length x width) ?

I guess these only work if the behind is not concrete wall or have panel behind. 

Most concrete drill bits are pretty big. 6/10/12mm?

This is the attaching screw for my shoe rack. Based on the screw head, It looks at least an m8. I'm guessing a 10mm hole with m8 screw

Screenshot_2022-11-07-10-04-36-48_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I guess these only work if the behind is not concrete wall or have panel behind. 

Screenshot_2022-11-07-10-04-36-48_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

His shoe rack is 7feet by 2.5 feet. It should be damn heavy. LoL... Dont waste time with plastic wall plugs.

I would suggest getting 8mm or 10mm steel or stainless steel wall plugs.

This is a simple enough video to guide you on how to drill and install a steel wall plug.

What you need is a drill that has a hammer function to drill on the wall. The tip of the drill bit is different for wall drilling.

There are one stop shops in Geylang to get what you want. Just Google Geylang hardware shop. Go there tell the shop what you want and they will tell you what to get.

8mm steel wall plug should suffice. You may get a bigger one if you wish. Get a drill bit for that size too, just ask the shop they will know what to sell you. Follow the video above. You can drill on the existing holes on the wall if they are smaller. That will save you a lot of work. Drilling on wood is easy any HSS drill bit will do.

Length of the steel plug I think 2inches should be enough.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

First of all, what kind of drill you have? No 650w no talk on concrete wall 😅

Hammer and impact drill heaven and earth different too 

Some photos of the said cabinet would be useful...

5 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

This is a simple enough video to guide you on how to drill and install a steel wall plug.

What you need is a drill that has a hammer function to drill on the wall. The tip of the drill bit is different for wall drilling.

There are one stop shops in Geylang to get what you want. Just Google Geylang hardware shop. Go there tell the shop what you want and they will tell you what to get.

8mm steel wall plug should suffice. You may get a bigger one if you wish. Get a drill bit for that size too, just ask the shop they will know what to sell you. Follow the video above. You can drill on the existing holes on the wall if they are smaller. That will save you a lot of work. Drilling on wood is easy any HSS drill bit will do.

This video is not useful lah. He already has the rack up already. He just needs to secure it further. 

This is just a wall bolt with nut lock. U not going to be able to put the bolt in without destroying the wood panel. 

7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

This video is not useful lah. He already has the rack up already. He just needs to secure it further. 

This is just a wall bolt with nut lock. U not going to be able to put the bolt in without destroying the wood panel. 

He will have to remove the rack from the wall first. He cannot keep the rack in place and do the drilling. Not many ppl will know how to install a steel wall plug. The video is just a simple demo. He will also need another person's assistance to move the rack around.

His existing wall plugs should be plastic one. Those are not very good actually that is why it is falling apart. He needs to pull those out of the wall and reinstall new ones if he decides to use the same type. Plastic plugs are not heavy duty. So no matter what he has to remove the rack first.

Edited by Watwheels

14 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

First of all, what kind of drill you have? No 650w no talk on concrete wall 😅

Hammer and impact drill heaven and earth different too 

Some photos of the said cabinet would be useful...

You definitely need a hammer drill. 

If cordless then u may need a 18v brushless one depending on the brand. 

You probably should have an impact driver of having better chance to drive the screw through the concrete wall. 

If don't have the equipment. Maybe better to get a handyman to fix it for you. 

• Praise 1

i use a 70-80mm screw. more than deep enough. just make sure you drill where the main ribs are. surprised that the rack can pull off from the wall? is this a custom made one? pics will help.

Dont need wood bit to drill through the wood. just the impact bit is ok. i use a SDS rotary hammer drill. piece of cake to punch a hole.

Edited by Mkl22

1 hour ago, Bluepica said:

Hi hi,

from what u say, all the holes already drill , but i think got loosen over time.

U see this photo , 1 of the bro post

image.png.6dafb9c52ad7c2c1bfd9d18f04a89f9c.png

u need to replace the white colour plastic casing, try to find the correct size, it must be very very very tight, 
U will need a bit of hammer to force the casing into the hole. then just use the screw and screw it in can already .

Dun over tighten the screw, u see the rack is stable can already , some wall is very hollow.

Try not to make new holes or enlarge those holes on the wall, the more u drill, the bigger and worst it get.

34 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I think this video is pretty instructive. I'm guessing this is what they do as well. 

You cannot do this on our type of concrete walls, there are reinforce steel bars inside our walls. You also cannot find this type of bolts here. Locally you will see contractors use wall plugs.

12 minutes ago, Beregond said:

from what u say, all the holes already drill , but i think got loosen over time.

U see this photo , 1 of the bro post

image.png.6dafb9c52ad7c2c1bfd9d18f04a89f9c.png

u need to replace the white colour plastic casing, try to find the correct size, it must be very very very tight, 
U will need a bit of hammer to force the casing into the hole. then just use the screw and screw it in can already .

Dun over tighten the screw, u see the rack is stable can already , some wall is very hollow.

Try not to make new holes or enlarge those holes on the wall, the more u drill, the bigger and worst it get.

Actually I have a whole box of these somewhere in my storeroom. Can't find it offhand. Left over from my unit previous owner Reno. 

They are not the ones holding to the wall. They are much smaller. 

Maybe they use this for lower cabinets 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

This type long long happen one time, just call the a handyman one time maybe $150 settle it once and for all. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Yeah unless u have gar Chang already. Not much point. 

• Praise 1

Wah, one issue one thread. I thot we got a DIY thread already. 

Meanwhile, this issue happens when you did your renovation. The contractor did not do a good job leh. All the screws and bolts got specs one. Should have gotten a specs higher so that your cabinet don't fall off.

Now if you don't have tools, try see if can borrow one. If not then need the guys back liao 

• Haha! 1

44 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

This type long long happen one time, just call the a handyman one time maybe $150 settle it once and for all. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Very true.

See DIY video is like very easy to do but this type is more for advanced DIYer. 

Pick up the phone and call for carpenter service. I think at most is $80?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1