Interesting Cooking Techniques

Freeder

Just saw Netflix abt this guy using only wood fire to cook…Really anal abt his cooking😅

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asador_Etxebarri

His ex- disciple restaurant in Sydney, Australia .. equally anal 😅

https://www.smh.com.au/goodfood/sydney-eating-out/restaurant-of-the-year-review-firedoor-20221117-h27xtb.html

Singapore also have.. but dunno if it’s half fxxk or not..

https://www.asadorsingapore.com/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

(edited)
On 6/16/2023 at 11:05 AM, Freeder said:

Just saw Netflix abt this guy using only wood fire to cook…Really anal abt his cooking😅

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asador_Etxebarri

His ex- disciple restaurant in Sydney, Australia .. equally anal 😅

https://www.smh.com.au/goodfood/sydney-eating-out/restaurant-of-the-year-review-firedoor-20221117-h27xtb.html

Singapore also have.. but dunno if it’s half fxxk or not..

https://www.asadorsingapore.com/

i ate recently. I would say the food is good. 

My friend ate it 2nd time with us. He said the 2nd time is good. The 1st time he was unimpressed.

TBH, I don't feel anything special with the wood fire (i didn't even know, we just chose it cos its spanish and the other place we wanted to go had only outdoor seating). The roasted pig was good. Probably the only one I've liked so far.

I've seen documentaries on Firedoor. It's not uncommon, there are few restaurants like that in the states also.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4

Going to try pura brasa on saturday. 

Interestingly it's a chain restaurant that's opened by the company that makes the Josper oven!

• Praise 3

On 6/16/2023 at 11:41 AM, Lala81 said:

Interestingly it's a chain restaurant that's opened by the company that makes the Josper oven!

The Josper oven thingy is over sell😂

Cooking taste not much diff with normal grilling process..😂

On 6/16/2023 at 11:30 AM, Lala81 said:

i ate recently. I would say the food is good. 

My friend ate it 2nd time with us. He said the 2nd time is good. The 1st time he was unimpressed.

TBH, I don't feel anything special with the wood fire (i didn't even know, we just chose it cos its spanish and the other place we wanted to go had only outdoor seating). The roasted pig was good. Probably the only one I've liked so far.

I've seen documentaries on Firedoor. It's not uncommon, there are few restaurants like that in the states also.

The asador etxebarri restaurant in Barca will be in my bucket list..

Heard reservations at least 4 months 😅

On 6/16/2023 at 11:46 AM, Freeder said:

The Josper oven thingy is over sell😂

Cooking taste not much diff with normal grilling process..😂

Ok lah. Just want to let my parents try the tapas etc. I only found out about the Josper oven part later. 

There's a hawker stall in yishun that uses the josper oven. I like their chicken thighs a lot.
It has a smokiness that I like, and I've never tasted in American smokehouse food. So i don't mind trying. 

I think smoked food doesn't translate well to pork or beef, at least the singapore versions. 
Wood fire or charcoal should all be pretty similar to each other, as opposed to just gas grill. 

• Praise 2

(edited)
On 6/16/2023 at 11:52 AM, Freeder said:

The asador etxebarri restaurant in Barca will be in my bucket list..

Heard reservations at least 4 months 😅

Should be good.

After trying a number of highly rated italian/spanish restaurants in SG,  I'm never really impressed. My conclusion is as such.
Spanish cooking techniques is highly dependent in ingredients. It's the quality of the ingredients that count. Italian food is the same. 
You have to go there, eat that anchovy that isn't shipped halfway around the world.

Japanese food is the same. The ingredient is the star. 

French cooking is opposite. It's taking very simple peasant food and elevating it via techniques. Chinese cooking is the same.
That's why french culinary techniques are the basis of how all western chefs are trained. 

The philosphy is different. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

(edited)
On 6/16/2023 at 11:53 AM, Lala81 said:

Ok lah. Just want to let my parents try the tapas etc. I only found out about the Josper oven part later. 

There's a hawker stall in yishun that uses the josper oven. I like their chicken thighs a lot.
It has a smokiness that I like, and I've never tasted in American smokehouse food. So i don't mind trying. 

I think smoked food doesn't translate well to pork or beef, at least the singapore versions. 
Wood fire or charcoal should all be pretty similar to each other, as opposed to just gas grill. 

Tried the First Grill (Closed) restaurant using josper oven .. expensive and taste very meh..😅

FYI, I’m currently a guest cook at a grill stall 😂 using gas grill and quality ingredients.

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 2

On 6/16/2023 at 12:06 PM, Beregond said:

OK la using wood fire nothing special already. 

In the end its still the skill n taste that matter.

Same thoughts initially but after watching that Spanish guy cook with special cooking utensils and intriguing cooking style😘

On 6/16/2023 at 12:03 PM, Freeder said:

Tried the First Grill (Closed) restaurant using josper oven .. expensive and taste very meh..😅

FYI, I’m currently a guest cook at a grill stall 😂 using gas grill and quality ingredients.

Where ar? Share yi sia.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:06 PM, Beregond said:

OK la using wood fire nothing special already. 

In the end its still the skill n taste that matter.

Yeah definitely. It's like physical attributes vs inherent skill of a football player

• Praise 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:29 PM, Lala81 said:

Where ar? Share yi sia.

Beach Road area..

Stall located in a old skool kopi tiam but with nice outdoor ambience ( French will say Le Grand Bristo) and beer on tap..

Normally will work on one’s budget or omakase style.. 

On 6/16/2023 at 12:40 PM, Freeder said:

Beach Road area..

Stall located in a old skool kopi tiam but with nice outdoor ambience ( French will say Le Grand Bristo) and beer on tap..

Normally will work on one’s budget or omakase style.. 

Beach road, are u referring to the crabman stall? 

I ate there once on your recommendation.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:05 PM, Lala81 said:

Beach road, are u referring to the crabman stall? 

I ate there once on your recommendation.

Yah😂 He will pager me when there’s group bookings that need meat and other seafood requests 😅

• Haha! 1

On 6/16/2023 at 1:13 PM, Freeder said:

Yah😂 He will pager me when there’s group bookings that need meat and other seafood requests 😅

oh he only grill the crabs?

On 6/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, Lala81 said:

oh he only grill the crabs?

And bbq fish , stingrays and wet mkt stuffs.

His business now quite good as many diners pay for good food without the svc , GST and miscellaneous charges..

• Haha! 1

On 6/16/2023 at 11:41 AM, Lala81 said:

Very good...to me it's not cheap but worth it...crowded even on week nights 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2