Traveling with no check in luggage - share your experiences

Supersonic
(edited)

Some people avoid checking in their luggage because it’s a short trip, others do so for cost reasons and others may have a tight connection or just simply out of habit..

I’ve done it for the first three reasons and it does take more planning..

eg no sharps like my swiss knife and no fluids 

So, I'm due for a conference in Manila and I was told that the airport isn't the best https://www.rappler.com/business/naia-worst-airport-asia-new-operator-san-miguel-incheon-turn-things-around/

So I've decided to just bring a carry on, maybe a backpack / trolley with wheels and avoid the whole process..

So I've asking what do others do and do share your tips.

For shorter trip with no business clothes, I'll take the smaller Osprey or my old Eagle Creek (EAGLE CREEK TRAVEL GEAR WORLD JOURNEY LC)

These definitely fit the criteria

https://www.indietraveller.co/farpoint-55-review/

Or this one if there's no hiking

image.png.ecec8bdda0921c46581aa57b1570ddf0.png

If it's a multi-day trip, eg up to a week, I'll take my trusty Osprey, especially if it's SIA, because they are more flexi on larger carry on.

Don't try it for budget airlines or US flights, they tend to be more strict, and definitely not for smaller planes, eg turboprops which have much smaller in cabin storage spaces

They weighed my bags and me on such flights, partly to balance out the passengers I think.. 

I also took a flight across the Grand Canyon to flagstaff from LV and they were really strict.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52e0.thumb.jpg.d1cf0fe4940842238e604761f243b4c4.jpg

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/luggage-review-osprey-farpoint-70-travel-backpack/

image.thumb.png.27091aca7d14e0e9fc344331af1e608c.png

If you need to pack a suit, then I may choose a suit bag, and just add some socks / underwear if it's under three days.

In Asia, you often get free toiletries, so I even skip those for short trips.

When I was in Cambodia, I also used an Osprey Atmos 50 pack, and simply carried it onto the Silkair plane.

(not related to Osprey, but I really like their stuff)

Another thing is to pack or wear your suit, then it doesn't count towards the weight and luggage, especially if it's a large or thick rain jacket or down one. 

How about you?

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Supersonic

BTW, anyone flown to Manila recently?
Any tips or advice?
I won't be touring much at all, but I will be at a meeting near the Asia Mall and it's been more than three decades since my last trip to Phil..

Hypersonic

Unless it's a budget airline, I would check in my baggage regardless cabin size or not.

I paid for it already so must utilize. Jokes aside, I often have a bigger one where I put the smaller one inside and check in.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
On 5/2/2024 at 9:30 AM, therock said:

So, I'm due for a conference in Manila and I was told that the airport isn't the best https://www.rappler.com/business/naia-worst-airport-asia-new-operator-san-miguel-incheon-turn-things-around/

So I've decided to just bring a carry on, maybe a backpack / trolley with wheels and avoid the whole process..

So I've asking what do others do and do share your tips.

For shorter trip with no business clothes, I'll take the smaller Osprey or my old Eagle Creek (EAGLE CREEK TRAVEL GEAR WORLD JOURNEY LC)

These definitely fit the criteria

https://www.indietraveller.co/farpoint-55-review/

Or this one if there's no hiking

image.png.ecec8bdda0921c46581aa57b1570ddf0.png

If it's a multi-day trip, eg up to a week, I'll take my trusty Osprey, especially if it's SIA, because they are more flexi on larger carry on.

Don't try it for budget airlines or US flights, they tend to be more strict, and definitely not for smaller planes, eg turboprops which have much smaller in cabin storage spaces

They weighed my bags and me on such flights, partly to balance out the passengers I think.. 

I also took a flight across the Grand Canyon to flagstaff from LV and they were really strict.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52e0.thumb.jpg.d1cf0fe4940842238e604761f243b4c4.jpg

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/luggage-review-osprey-farpoint-70-travel-backpack/

image.thumb.png.27091aca7d14e0e9fc344331af1e608c.png

If you need to pack a suit, then I may choose a suit bag, and just add some socks / underwear if it's under three days.

In Asia, you often get free toiletries, so I even skip those for short trips.

When I was in Cambodia, I also used an Osprey Atmos 50 pack, and simply carried it onto the Silkair plane.

(not related to Osprey, but I really like their stuff)

Another thing is to pack or wear your suit, then it doesn't count towards the weight and luggage, especially if it's a large or thick rain jacket or down one. 

How about you?

Sorry I have not travelled for work in more than 10 years. But last year I did a 17-day trip to Japan with no check on luggage.  Used a 20 inch trolley bag and a cabin zero 36L backpack.  No problem at all since I also stayed at hotels where I can do laundry. All toiletries provided by hotel or bought from 7-11 and even had loads of space for shopping.

• Praise 5

Twincharged
On 5/2/2024 at 9:31 AM, therock said:

Any tips or advice?
I won't be touring much at all, but I will be at a meeting near the Asia Mall and it's been more than three decades since my last trip to Phil..

go early to the airport. I was there last year and the trip prior to that was 10years back. Much better now. in the past it was a real mess. i must say it was the shittiest major airport in South east asia. but then i have the APEC card so was able to bypass some of the queues.

• Praise 4

Supersonic

@Mkl22

On 5/2/2024 at 9:41 AM, Mkl22 said:

go early to the airport. I was there last year and the trip prior to that was 10years back. Much better now. in the past it was a real mess. i must say it was the shittiest major airport in South east asia. but then i have the APEC card so was able to bypass some of the queues.

i applied for the apec but I’m not sure if I’ll get it in time 😅 

any tips on getting to the hotels?

grab, taxi or other transportation?

should be four adults including my trainees…

• Praise 2

Supercharged
(edited)

short business trips, say to apac countries, i will pack light, and won't check in....i dun like to hang around the airport and wait to collect the luggage, i prefer disembark, go straight thru custom and then straight out to the airport and get a cab. 

Coming back as well...dun like getting stuck at custom and lining up for cab...

I used to travel like mad....see airport I also sian and scared of the Q...

If travelling for vacation, then different story...:grin:

Edited by Spidey10
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Even for short trips, i default will check-in luggage, cause need to carry things like medicine and toiletries etc which no check in would become quite troublesome. 😂

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 9:31 AM, therock said:

Any tips or advice?

My last trip Manila was 2019. Never like this airport.

Especially the security portion.

For Philippines I had only to Manila and Cebu, both impressions are bad. 

Edited by Tohto
  • Haha! 3

Hypersonic

Most people over pack.

Wifey travel don't even bring a toothbrush and no pyjamas.

I was hoping one hotel no dressing gown unfortunately we don't always get what we wish for.

It turned out one hotel no toothbrush.

I kahpohed one of those cheap disposable ones from another hotel and passed to her.

Sleep naked ok but I didn't want her to sleep without brushing her teeth.

:D

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic

My nephew went on a cruise pack a huge bag with 6 jeans.

A cruise in the Med in summer t shirts and bermudas everyday and never wore even one of those 6 jeans.

He did not enjoy lugging around his big bag.

:D

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic

Sure you paid premium and entitled to 30 kg check in bag

but do you really want to lug that 30 kg everywhere just for the sake you are entitled to it?

• Haha! 1

Supersonic

I’ve accumulated a few from SQ so those toothbrushes will do..

medications - I’ll put into clear ziplock bags 

even a small medicated oil will pass…

but make sure the bag is padded for your laptop 💻 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 5/2/2024 at 10:00 AM, Tohto said:

My last trip Manila was 2019. Never like this airport.

Especially the security portion.

For I had only to Manila and Cebu, both impressions are bad. 

Never been to Manila but went to Cebu before. I have forgotten my impression on the airport?! Anyway, i never like to go indonesia and philippines. Even like batam i also don't like to go unless no choice.

Hypersonic
On 5/2/2024 at 9:38 AM, Hamburger said:

Unless it's a budget airline, I would check in my baggage regardless cabin size or not.

I paid for it already so must utilize. Jokes aside, I often have a bigger one where I put the smaller one inside and check in.

I never like to carry big bag with me when moving around the terminal. Will try to check in all except my laptop bag.

Hypersonic
On 5/2/2024 at 9:57 AM, 13177 said:

Even for short trips, i default will check-in luggage, cause need to carry things like medicine and toiletries etc which no check in would become quite troublesome. 😂

Wah... I surprised you travel.. Many ASEAN country is always more hot than Singapore. Other country will be too cold for you non summer. But their summer 38 to above 40deg also will make you headache.

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic
On 5/2/2024 at 10:16 AM, therock said:

I’ve accumulated a few from SQ so those toothbrushes will do..

medications - I’ll put into clear ziplock bags 

even a small medicated oil will pass…

but make sure the bag is padded for your laptop 💻 

SQ you can just take a few pcs from toilet drawer.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 5/2/2024 at 10:20 AM, Tohto said:

Wah... I surprised you travel.. Many ASEAN country is always more hot than Singapore. Other country will be too cold for you non summer. But their summer 38 to above 40deg also will make you headache.

I travel quit a bit when i was younger, only get headache and hated travel when old liao. 🤣 But ar, if afraid summer too hot or winter too cold for me, usually i choose to travel during autumn. Surely i would not go to places with 38 deg and above la.

↡ Advertisement