Albeniz Turbocharged April 30, 2008 Share April 30, 2008 Almost nobody do that in my car park. There are people who open the bonnet to save on 50 cents parking coupon though. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Porche 5th Gear April 30, 2008 Share April 30, 2008 no need to do that lah....the car engine bay sure get hot after a drive, unless your car overheated.... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Albeniz Turbocharged April 30, 2008 Share April 30, 2008 I was thinking the car must be damn lousy if the bonnet needs to be opened (for cooling)after each drive. Never seen such cars before. Even Driftking's car is not as bad as this. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Beei 1st Gear April 30, 2008 Share April 30, 2008 (edited) The engine will go up to a max temperature and stay around there during long drive. With proper maintenace and servicing done, engine oil, coolant level, the engine bay shall maintain around the same temperature.. In TS case, the TS was worried that the hot engine may shortened his rubber parts' life in the engine bay, which is .. Edited April 30, 2008 by Beei Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rollagt 5th Gear April 30, 2008 Share April 30, 2008 How abt pour water over the engine ? LOL Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Testa_ross4 Clutched April 30, 2008 Author Share April 30, 2008 BMW the BBQ car Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Testa_ross4 Clutched April 30, 2008 Author Share April 30, 2008 I would not do that, the engine block may crack. My father is a metallurgist and we used to have a bronze foundry, so lots of experience with water quenching extremely hot metals direct from molten state Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Testa_ross4 Clutched April 30, 2008 Author Share April 30, 2008 Just wanted to cool down my precious only, which is quite therapeutic lah, the heat coming from the engine bay like sauna, so sometimes just stand there to "enjoy" the heat. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Thermodynamics Neutral Newbie April 30, 2008 Share April 30, 2008 I don't think that is necessary. As long as your car cooling system is working fine, there is no need to open your bonnet to cool your engine. In fact, too extreme cooling and then heating is also bad and can cause thermal stress. Especially for long drives. Our engine works well when warm. Look at taxis. They run around on 2 shifts and the car can be running for 20+ hrs but they are all fine. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Beei 1st Gear April 30, 2008 Share April 30, 2008 wah lao.. the weather so hot nowaday and you still want sauna.. just leave the car, it will cool down by itself.. no rubber or non-metallic part will melt.. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Testa_ross4 Clutched April 30, 2008 Author Share April 30, 2008 Yes agree, that is certainly one school of thought, is why I only open the bonnet sometimes. Thermal stress of sudden cooling can actually crack hot metal. I am also heavy user of home theatre projectors, and some experts actually believe that letting the bulb cool naturally by doing a hard off and turning off the fan is better than letting the fan blow on the bulb in standby mode. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Testa_ross4 Clutched April 30, 2008 Author Share April 30, 2008 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Picanto 3rd Gear May 1, 2008 Share May 1, 2008 if you are talking about cars from the 80s-90s, then i think need to open bonnet. modern cars no need to do this type of thing at all. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Showtime Neutral Newbie May 1, 2008 Share May 1, 2008 wah, open bonnet?? no need lah, like that I have to also remove the bonnet insulation cover, so the heat dun get trap inside. There was another discussion on whether having the bonnet insulation is good anot etc. Infact, if you ask some of the folks who drive to MY often, some never even bother to turn off the ignition at the R&R. (hee! cos human comfort more important, as it is so so hot.) believe the bonnet insulation is to prevent heat from solar radiation from getting in rather than to prevent the heat from getting out. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fitvip Supersonic May 1, 2008 Share May 1, 2008 How abt pour water over the engine ?LOL Never do that. It will cause more harm than good! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dipstick Neutral Newbie May 1, 2008 Share May 1, 2008 Open your car bonnet to cool down the engine at the end of the day after returning from a drive? Can feel the engine very hot after turning off the ignition. I do it as often as I can, either when I am washing the car after returning, or I just stay with car maybe about 2 to 3 minutes and use a cloth to fan the engine bay. I think it helps save the rubber or non-metallic parts What you are doing is extremely odd, queer even. You are most likely the only one in SGP who does that. "Use a cloth to fan the engine bay"........ Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Latioboy 1st Gear May 1, 2008 Share May 1, 2008 Open your car bonnet to cool down the engine at the end of the day after returning from a drive? Can feel the engine very hot after turning off the ignition. I do it as often as I can, either when I am washing the car after returning, or I just stay with car maybe about 2 to 3 minutes and use a cloth to fan the engine bay. I think it helps save the rubber or non-metallic parts Same here. But my reason is that, I don't like my bonnet to be hot. Haha. I like my car to be COOOOOL. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nhyone 4th Gear May 1, 2008 Share May 1, 2008 How about opening the bonnet to let the engine cool faster before covering the car? Does it make a difference? ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now