Is it fair for restaurant to charge for water

City100a

yesterday went down to katong to eat at kim choo

they charge me 30 cents for a glass of tap water (only requested for 1 only) after we spent $95 for lunch

somemore we also order 3 water chestnut drink

furthermore they charge for wet tissue and a plate of ajar that we did not even order

is this fair

if we ate suppose less than 10 or even 20 then charge 30 cents for tap water ok

the food is so so only

do you think i am too stingy

have you encounter this before

please share your experience

↡ Advertisement

yeah. the ajar/peanut and wet tissue always charge de. mayb next time u cant try telling the waiter u dont want all these before ordering anything. i tried a few times and sometimes it works. but i think its a bit overboard to charge plain water also la. i tot its suppose to be included in the service charge ardy. [lipsrsealed] but anw, this is singapore la. bo bian lor. hais. -_-

restaurants that charge tap water sld be boycotted.

why dont they charge us for using their restaurant toilet too? we could be drinking tap water inside also mah LOL.

no right or wrong answer...personally, if i encounter such restaurant which die die will count every cents then i will definitely not go there and eat ever again. i dont owe them anything why should i pay money and yet suffer such treatment??? a few glasses of plain water will have a material effect on their P & L meh? such restaurants really too much lah and should be boycotted.

yesterday went down to katong to eat at kim choo

they charge me 30 cents for a glass of tap water (only requested for 1 only) after we spent $95 for lunch

somemore we also order 3 water chestnut drink

furthermore they charge for wet tissue and a plate of ajar that we did not even order

is this fair

if we ate suppose less than 10 or even 20 then charge 30 cents for tap water ok

the food is so so only

do you think i am too stingy

have you encounter this before

please share your experience

That's a very bad way of doing business! I'm from the industry and know that iced-water should be served freely as long as FOOD was ordered. If a place sells mainly drinks (i.e. wine bars, pubs etc..) then it's justifiable to charge for water because the establishment's core business is beverages. How to make money if people come and drink iced-water niah?!

But if it's a full-fledged restaurant serving food as it's main source of revenue, then there's NO reason for charging for plain iced-water. Very bad business practice on the part of Kim Choo [thumbsdown] and as you can clearly see from this example, they have done themselves a big dis-service!

went crystal jade n was charged 30cts for plain water n 2 bucks for small plate of peanuts. Do remember all tis is b4 gst & svc charge.............. [thumbsdown]

Edited by Hamburger

is this the restaurant? http://kimchoo.com/

haiz...that restaurant is overrated due to the Little Nonya craze...the things there are rather expensive as compared to Bengawan Solo. [shakehead]

And now they started charging plain water for 30cents?that's absurd! [furious]

TS should write to Mypaper, Today and ST forum and CC to Tourism Board and the restaurant so that they will sit up and take some action. Even din do anything they will also be bit kan cheong coz they are being monitored by the authorities.

That's y i like to eat in msia restaurants instead of in SG coz here everything also wana earn. Then say that their rental expensive la, need to pay overheads la, workers la etc. All bxxxsxxt. [furious] Then the bosses all stay in landed properties.... [shakehead]

I always bring along a big thermal flask with me (about 1.5L) and got hot tea inside. When I go msia eat, i will ask them to top up for me and they will usually oblige with a smile and no extra charge even if i only eat a plate of hor fun and drinks.

Some bros here may comment that Msia water are cheaper but please dun comment if you gona say this coz this is not the issue of water but the standard of service we are toking about. That's y i rather contribute to the Msia economy then help to pay for those bosses bungalows or semi-Ds... [laugh]

About a month ago there's also a thread on the extra charge for a pair of chopsticks when a diner wented to a chicken rice outlet in NOvena Square posted on Stomp and in one of the thread here.

I did ask the lady boss (she has a hawker stall in Whampoa market) and she mentioned that is a venture with a business partner and the worker is an ah tiong therefore do not know the rules. Anyway already "cooked cuttlefish"for her and now even water is served free over there.

Btw not related to the lady boss, only my mom is a long time good friend to her and sometimes i go eat i can get good discounts. [thumbsup][laugh]

Edited by Berncsp76

If you never use the things like wet towels etc, return them and ask for it to be deleted off your bill.

As for water, well, I think it should be free.

↡ Advertisement