Jump to content

Persistent Lower Back Pain


Orangepineapple
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have double slipped disc at c4/c5 and c5/6 8 years ago. The pinched nerve was very painful and affected my quality of life. So I did the disc replacement surgery to replace the 2 discs. The whole surgery took 3 hours at Raffles Hospital, and the pain was gone right after the surgery. Recovery took 1 week and I was able to jog after that.

 

I highly recommend disc replacement for those who want a better quality of life. Therapy, chiro and pain killers do not solve the problem long term.

I shudder to even think of going under the blade .... mine holding well so far as it’s L2, L3, L4 been doing the physio or Pilates like excercises but still Kenna the sprain or nerve impingement like twice a year ...... can be the most innocent of bends and still get it , I’m glad you recovered well and fast too
  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to share my experience

 

I have had perennial acute LWB for several years now.

 

Gone to hospital for x-rays that show some bone degeneration. remedy: painkillers

 

Went to TCM for some of the episodes. remedy: acupuncture and massage. pain goes away faster than painkillers

 

went to Chiro: Remedy: spinal alignment which does help improve my posture but did not get to the root cause of the problem

 

went to the physiotherapist at the chiro clinic: Finally found out the cause of the LWB. overworked piriformis muscles due to slouching position at work. physiotherapist recommended stretching the piriformis and strengthening the core. totally cured my LWB

 

So if you have LWB, n it's not some slipped discs, try seeking help from a physiotherapist. could be due to some weak muscles.

 

here's the stretch that helped me

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKp2f5-jRbI

  • Praise 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to share my experience

 

I have had perennial acute LWB for several years now.

 

Gone to hospital for x-rays that show some bone degeneration. remedy: painkillers

 

Went to TCM for some of the episodes. remedy: acupuncture and massage. pain goes away faster than painkillers

 

went to Chiro: Remedy: spinal alignment which does help improve my posture but did not get to the root cause of the problem

 

went to the physiotherapist at the chiro clinic: Finally found out the cause of the LWB. overworked piriformis muscles due to slouching position at work. physiotherapist recommended stretching the piriformis and strengthening the core. totally cured my LWB

 

So if you have LWB, n it's not some slipped discs, try seeking help from a physiotherapist. could be due to some weak muscles.

 

here's the stretch that helped me

 

Any recommended physiotherapist? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to share my experience

 

I have had perennial acute LWB for several years now.

 

Gone to hospital for x-rays that show some bone degeneration. remedy: painkillers

 

Went to TCM for some of the episodes. remedy: acupuncture and massage. pain goes away faster than painkillers

 

went to Chiro: Remedy: spinal alignment which does help improve my posture but did not get to the root cause of the problem

 

went to the physiotherapist at the chiro clinic: Finally found out the cause of the LWB. overworked piriformis muscles due to slouching position at work. physiotherapist recommended stretching the piriformis and strengthening the core. totally cured my LWB

 

So if you have LWB, n it's not some slipped discs, try seeking help from a physiotherapist. could be due to some weak muscles.

 

here's the stretch that helped me

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKp2f5-jRbI

Sorry, what does lwb stand for?

 

Lbp is quite common for lower/lumbar back pain among medical professionals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

lower back pain, I think most people just need to stretch if you're sitting down for too long.

 

try hanging off a chin-up bar. [:p]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to share my experience

 

I have had perennial acute LWB for several years now.

 

Gone to hospital for x-rays that show some bone degeneration. remedy: painkillers

 

Went to TCM for some of the episodes. remedy: acupuncture and massage. pain goes away faster than painkillers

 

went to Chiro: Remedy: spinal alignment which does help improve my posture but did not get to the root cause of the problem

 

went to the physiotherapist at the chiro clinic: Finally found out the cause of the LWB. overworked piriformis muscles due to slouching position at work. physiotherapist recommended stretching the piriformis and strengthening the core. totally cured my LWB

 

So if you have LWB, n it's not some slipped discs, try seeking help from a physiotherapist. could be due to some weak muscles.

 

here's the stretch that helped me

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKp2f5-jRbI

 

Hi dsman, just tried your method and it seems working well for me after my first stretch. Will try on regular basis. I have the same issue as yours except that I got minor slip disc due to bone degeneration. Also been going round seeking treatment with TCM and Chiro until recently went for facet joint injection. Pain relieve was immediate but still hv to going thru physio treatment.

 

Thank you and do share if you have other stretches exercise which is useful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was taught 2 methods by an ortho doctor.

 

1) lying on your back, bend and pull your left knee up to your chest and hold for 20 seconds while keeping your right leg straight. Do the same for the other leg. Repeat for each leg 3 times.

 

2) lying face down, push your upper body up with both arms and hold for 20 secs facing forward. Your back for legs to head should be an incline. After that relax and lie down for 20 secs. Repeat 3 times. The pose is something like a yoga pose.

 

That’s the best I can describe and these 2 exercises does help for me.

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, what does lwb stand for?

 

Lbp is quite common for lower/lumbar back pain among medical professionals.

And I tot it means Long Wheel Base
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of guys I see had the same issue I had before which is the pelvic bone tilted forward. The reason is because of the tummy being fat. The posture becomes off and the strain goes to the lower back muscles as this causes the lwb muscles to tighten. I know cos I had this issue before.

 

The solution is to lose the tummy fat first. Diet, excercise or if intermittent fasting works for you, lose that tummy fat. Eat one meal less a day and stay away from white sugar or food & beverages containing white sugar. Drink plain water. No beer, no soft drinks, no alcohol.

After that do stretching by sitting down on the floor with your legs stretched forward. Bend forward slowly and feel the lower back stretch. Do it daily for 2 weeks. This should get your lowerback muscle to relax and allow the pelvic bone to straighten back to its original position.

Train your core muscles (abs and lower back) by doing planking. Dont do crunches or sit ups cos these excercises actually will cause more injury to your spinal cord. I know ppl will scoff at planking and think it is ineffective but it is a non intrusive excercise that will not injure your back. It works for me. The dieting and excercising is all about discipline.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly... if u are going to spend the time planking. Just do some pushups la. There's no difference as long as u keep your back straight.

 

If you want to do planking. Do the dynamic ones where u go from forearms to your palms and back. Now thats a damn tough exercise...

Just to share my experience

 

I have had perennial acute LWB for several years now.

 

Gone to hospital for x-rays that show some bone degeneration. remedy: painkillers

 

Went to TCM for some of the episodes. remedy: acupuncture and massage. pain goes away faster than painkillers

 

went to Chiro: Remedy: spinal alignment which does help improve my posture but did not get to the root cause of the problem

 

went to the physiotherapist at the chiro clinic: Finally found out the cause of the LWB. overworked piriformis muscles due to slouching position at work. physiotherapist recommended stretching the piriformis and strengthening the core. totally cured my LWB

 

So if you have LWB, n it's not some slipped discs, try seeking help from a physiotherapist. could be due to some weak muscles.

 

here's the stretch that helped me

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKp2f5-jRbI

Just tried this stretch. Quite interesting. But if u can't lie down just do the regular sitted gluteal stretch you learn in saf stretching is good enough.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not really have lower back pain. More like leg pain but is related to spine.

 

I also did not chiro, just physio. The MRI was 1k plus.

 

 

 

Which part of the leg and did you get it cured or lessen the pain?..... my mrs also have leg pain at the upper shin but side....when she go jogging wif me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly... if u are going to spend the time planking. Just do some pushups la. There's no difference as long as u keep your back straight.

 

If you want to do planking. Do the dynamic ones where u go from forearms to your palms and back. Now thats a damn tough exercise...

Just tried this stretch. Quite interesting. But if u can't lie down just do the regular sitted gluteal stretch you learn in saf stretching is good enough.

 

If you want to put push ups into the picture you will need to do reps and you need to take breaks. To me it becomes too disruptive to what you are trying to do in the first place. When ppl arms grow tired they will just stop altogether. The focus is core, not upper body training.

 

What I'm suggesting is beginner phase after losing the tummy fat. Of course there are more advanced training on the core but I do not know how old ppl are out there and dont know what pre-exisiting conditions they have. Older folks like me will take longer to recover. That's why I dont recommend doing push ups.

 

Planking is a simple excercise that does not require one or two days rest inbetween to recover and you can do it daily for as long as you can.

Edited by Watwheels
Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite not having any problem, I had PT for upper body strength in my late 30s. Gearing towards endurance.

 

I love to feel drop dead after 1hr of training.

Edited by Davidtch
Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite not having any problem, I had PT for upper body strength in my late 30s. Gearing towards endurance.

 

I love to feel drop dead after 1hr of training.

What drop dead after training?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me intro you to my PT from hell.

PT even more scary than army PT? I dont want to really drop dead after the PT and never alive lo. Lol.

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...