How close to wear indicators before changing tires?

Gregwoon

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

My tires are due for a change soon, and so I am doing my research for pricing and tire models at tire shops. My back tires have about 1.5 - 2mm of thread left before the wear indicators and the front, maybe 2 - 2.5mm. I know the wear indicators are there for a reason - when the tire wears to a point where it is flush with the indicators, it's time to change tires. But how close before it's time to change? Completely flush? 0.5mm?

After visiting 1 or 2 tire shops, I'm tired of getting all the same sales pitch on how it will be sliding around like a fish once it rains, and unsafe etc. BTW, I drive an XC90 so there is AWD...may be less slippery?

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

There is a small triangle sign on the tyre sidewall. Once hit the triangle, must change. But, change may also be required due to other factors like age of tyres.....................

Edited by Kangadrool

Supercharged

I am cheapskate.

I will use the tires until the TWI (tread wear indicator) bar flush with the tread.

Bear in mind that the grip of the tires will be reduced when they are near to the wear limit, especially in the wet.

i remember reason why i change my last few set of tyres..

1 set of tyres.. lousy in wet.. i cant even drive straight in CTE at 80km/hr in wet.. next day change tyre.. too dangerous..

another set of tyres - because i set camber of e wheel.. i cant see how many tread left inside.. in e end.. one night drive half way.. one of e tyre no air.. reach workshop den discover e tyre already wear out until inside e steel part.. oops =x

.... change!

do not wait until u hit the wear indicators then change and also do not depend on the electronic gadgets and mechanical gadgets cos these gadgets will perform their functions when it detects your car is going out of control. Be proactive and preventive instead of reactive and detective. i am sure you value your life and your loved ones. accidents will occur regardless dry or wet if you neglect safety

Edited by Help1

If driving in totally dry road. Then can use until the tyre total botak.

On raining days just slow down to less than 60km/hr for botak tyres.

if want to chiong on rainy days, then by right there should be at least 2mm of thread height to push out water.

Butt feel. When i feel the traction isnt as good as before(esp when cornering, high speed floating feeling). Visual inspection n touching of the middle wear indicator. Best when car is hoist up during servicing check. Same thing happen to me, inner wear until wires, heng spotted when hoist up!

I did observed on my previous car (Myvi), slightly longer braking distance needed when the tread depth of the front tire are less than 4mm left (dry road). Never dare to test with wet road. I believe the tire width for small/lighter cars does affect the road adhersion. All 4 tire were 175/70R14. After replacing the two fonrt tire with 165/70R14, it seems fine.

It also depends on how much the owner/driver value his own life. [:p] That should determine if the tire are to be replaced when less than 4mm tread depth is left.

Remember, it is the last few mm of braking distance to stop that collision from happening. :o

i remember reason why i change my last few set of tyres..

1 set of tyres.. lousy in wet.. i cant even drive straight in CTE at 80km/hr in wet.. next day change tyre.. too dangerous..

another set of tyres - because i set camber of e wheel.. i cant see how many tread left inside.. in e end.. one night drive half way.. one of e tyre no air.. reach workshop den discover e tyre already wear out until inside e steel part.. oops =x

.... change!

Drift car ar ? Camber what angle until cannot see the tread lol

Tyre manufacturer want to earn more money mah....

If new tire is 6-7mm thread...then 3mm is like only half way through.

Why not they design thread that are 9-10mm thick in the beginning?

Something is wrong with these tyres manufacturer.

quite a few manufacturers are recommending 3mm of

Tyre manufacturer want to earn more money mah....

If new tire is 6-7mm thread...then 3mm is like only half way through.

Why not they design thread that are 9-10mm thick in the beginning?

Something is wrong with these tyres manufacturer.

might as well say make tyre 30mm thick thread? then can last 10 yrs [laugh]

I am just trying to be realistic.

Those grippy tyres compoundusually wear out faster right?

Why can't they make the thread thicker to make it last more mileage?

Conspiracy.

might as well say make tyre 30mm thick thread? then can last 10 yrs [laugh]

I am just trying to be realistic.

Those grippy tyres compoundusually wear out faster right?

Why can't they make the thread thicker to make it last more mileage?

Conspiracy.

regroovable tyres.

when to change tyre depending on individual

1-By time or date may be 2 / 3 years change no care still good or not

2-by mileage 40k or / 50k km dont care the condition

3-visual inspection by workshop and show you also explain to you why need to change

4-by telephone call from workshop SA(your car is already hosted up) Good morning Mr. your tyre need to change becos the tyre bald, side wall crack,

your tyre swollen must change now , your tyre very old (aged) , your tyre must change otherwise we can align your car.

5-BY your own konwledge and decide when to change and responsible for your own decision.

6 ask the friends around you and tell them to check physically all 4 tyre inside outside no just guessing.

7 ask the friends around you without seeing the tyre or just over the phone.

Now you ask yourself you belong to which 1 or you got another reason just share.

IMHO the NO 7 is the worst advised follow by NO.4

↡ Advertisement