Deleting same email across several IOS devices

Keithchue

Dear gurus

i have a imap account Gmail, and a singnet account (pop3) in mail app across several iOS devices. whenever i delete an email on my phone, my iPad still gets the same deleted e-mail that i have deleted. so does my mac as well. is there a way to "sync" across this deletion through out the devices that i have?

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

under your gmail settings (access via browser, hit the gear icon on the top right):

go to "forwarding and POP/IMAP"

make sure auto-expunge is on (otherwise, you have to manually inform client by send/receive or to remove deleted items from server)

but note that even with that setting, still takes a couple of seconds to sync across multiple devices. but that should fix your issue.

• Praise 1

under your gmail settings (access via browser, hit the gear icon on the top right):

go to "forwarding and POP/IMAP"

make sure auto-expunge is on (otherwise, you have to manually inform client by send/receive or to remove deleted items from server)

but note that even with that setting, still takes a couple of seconds to sync across multiple devices. but that should fix your issue.

hi,

I got the setting right, but still the mails come to me mac and my ipads....

in need of advice

hi,

in need of advice

for webmail like Google mail or hotmail, i believe when you delete from one device, the other device will be 'sync' and delete when it connect to the server.

you can set the incoming email as 'Push' or 'Fetch', in each device, choose 'Fetch manually' if you dun want it to download automatically.

for webmail like Google mail or hotmail, i believe when you delete from one device, the other device will be 'sync' and delete when it connect to the server.

you can set the incoming email as 'Push' or 'Fetch', in each device, choose 'Fetch manually' if you dun want it to download automatically.

i still see the same email in my mac when I deleted it on my iphone...

Turbocharged

hi,

in need of advice

make sure all accounts are setup as IMAP. double check your mac mail settings as well. for ipad and iphone, using the mail app (or any other mail app) with IMAP should sync automatically.

unless under your mac you are browsing the "all mail" inbox, then it will show up there regardless (simply because deleting in gmail simply removes the inbox label, but it will be labelled as trash for 30 days but still technically part of 'all mail') lastly under the mac mail settings, go to "mailbox behaviours" and make sure under the "trash" option that "store deleted messages on the server" is unchecked. otherwise there is a conflict.

i still see the same email in my mac when I deleted it on my iphone...

see my reply above with regards to deleted messages

• Praise 1

hi,

in need of advice

POP mail box can't be synced. You can set the singnet mailbox to keep inbox messages in server but have to physically login and clear the account once it fills up. Sent messages in any cases are never synced with POP.

IMAP emails are synced across devices. But things get a bit dodgy with gmail because of how they have implemented Labels and Folders. Here are my settings.. with this, all my emails are synced in the Inbox, Sent, Draft, Deleted, Unread, Flags etc...

1st two pics are the settings in the OSX Mail app. Create account by choosing Gmail and giving your credentials.

The 3rd pic of the OSX Mail app is the one that assigns the gmail sent label that you normally see in your Mail app and ask for that label to be used as Sent... damn confusing... as otherwise, your inbox is shown normally, but no sent messages... those sent messages appear only under that accounts Gmail/Sent Messages label of OSX Mail... you do the same with Trash and also Junk

Next pic is from the iPhone mail settings. You have to chose to delete instead of archive or it'll just stay in your inbox...

Final 2 pics are from the gmail settings from the browser. I don't like "All Mails" as its just double of inbox and sent so I leave it unchecked.

post-46412-0-54726500-1413168202_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-79275500-1413168216_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-19216000-1413168268_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-94085000-1413168303_thumb.png

post-46412-0-88894900-1413169096_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-35374900-1413169114_thumb.jpg

Edited by ins1dious
  • Praise 6

Turbocharged

POP mail box can't be synced. You can set the singnet mailbox to keep inbox messages in server but have to physically login and clear the account once it fills up. Sent messages in any cases are never synced with POP.

IMAP emails are synced across devices. But things get a bit dodgy with gmail because of how they have implemented Labels and Folders. Here are my settings.. with this, all my emails are synced in the Inbox, Sent, Draft, Deleted, Unread, Flags etc...

1st two pics are the settings in the OSX Mail app. Create account by choosing Gmail and giving your credentials.

The 3rd pic of the OSX Mail app is the one that assigns the gmail sent label that you normally see in your Mail app and ask for that label to be used as Sent... damn confusing... as otherwise, your inbox is shown normally, but no sent messages... those sent messages appear only under that accounts Gmail/Sent Messages label of OSX Mail... you do the same with Trash and also Junk

Next pic is from the iPhone mail settings. You have to chose to delete instead of archive or it'll just stay in your inbox...

Final 2 pics are from the gmail settings from the browser. I don't like "All Mails" as its just double of inbox and sent so I leave it unchecked.

sibei thorough. too bad i am using windows at work, so cant double check the settings (though i have a separate VM running mavericks only for imessages, so i can reply to my imessages without even touching my phone ... haha.)

sibei thorough. too bad i am using windows at work, so cant double check the settings (though i have a separate VM running mavericks only for imessages, so i can reply to my imessages without even touching my phone ... haha.)

[blush] I'm jobless currently :D so can be thorough...

Turbocharged

[blush] I'm jobless currently :D so can be thorough...

lol. cannot praise you either since i have to find 3 more people to praise first.

gonna wait for the new mac minis to be announced, then bring one to work, hide it under my desk and use team viewer to control it, so i can make use of handover and replying to text messages on my work desk .. a bit of a convulted process, but i find it easier to reply/copy/paste stuff directly from my computer. (either that, or im fine finding an old 2012 mac mini and repurposing that .. if i can get it cheap for work since its out of my own pocket lol)

lol. cannot praise you either since i have to find 3 more people to praise first.

gonna wait for the new mac minis to be announced, then bring one to work, hide it under my desk and use team viewer to control it, so i can make use of handover and replying to text messages on my work desk .. a bit of a convulted process, but i find it easier to reply/copy/paste stuff directly from my computer. (either that, or im fine finding an old 2012 mac mini and repurposing that .. if i can get it cheap for work since its out of my own pocket lol)

haha... I use my own rMBP at work and running Win 7 Pro on parallels for Excel/Outlook/OneNote stuff (I'm not really jobless btw :D just that boss not in town so have very few assignments left to complete and lots of time to do it). Good thing my IT guy was ok with BYOD as long as I paid for own Parallels, Win 7 Pro and Office Enterprise copy.

I loved my old Mini (a Late 2009 device). Bought for 800, used for 3 years and sold for 550. Awesome device... super power efficient... damn silent. Perfect HTPC. Maybe they will release a new one in the AppleTV form factor. Even better to hide it under your desk.

I'm waiting for a Retina iMac.... mine is an old 27" iMac (mid-2011)... bit long in the tooth now. Hate the HDD... damn slow 5400 rpm platter.... but that's the only fault with this machine. Everything else runs perfect... no dents, no scratches... Which is more than what I can say for some of the Windows hardware I used to buy.

Turbocharged

haha... I use my own rMBP at work and running Win 7 Pro on parallels for Excel/Outlook/OneNote stuff (I'm not really jobless btw :D just that boss not in town so have very few assignments left to complete and lots of time to do it). Good thing my IT guy was ok with BYOD as long as I paid for own Parallels, Win 7 Pro and Office Enterprise copy.

I loved my old Mini (a Late 2009 device). Bought for 800, used for 3 years and sold for 550. Awesome device... super power efficient... damn silent. Perfect HTPC. Maybe they will release a new one in the AppleTV form factor. Even better to hide it under your desk.

I'm waiting for a Retina iMac.... mine is an old 27" iMac (mid-2011)... bit long in the tooth now. Hate the HDD... damn slow 5400 rpm platter.... but that's the only fault with this machine. Everything else runs perfect... no dents, no scratches... Which is more than what I can say for some of the Windows hardware I used to buy.

thats what im thinking regarding mac mini. if the new one is ex, then the old ones will drop in price. i can bring my own device to work, just got to ask how to connect it to win server. i got mini off craigslist for $500 - it was a mid 2011 model that the guy used for 10 months, upgraded it to 8gig of ram with ssd. he got fed up cos he found the mac interface cumbersome. it has since become my htpc and 24/7 torrent machine.

consider an ssd upgrade for your imac. i did it for my 2010 mbp at home ... boot time was amazing. if it was a 2011 model (i need the 4.0 low power BT)i would have just used that at work instead. oh well :P

thats what im thinking regarding mac mini. if the new one is ex, then the old ones will drop in price. i can bring my own device to work, just got to ask how to connect it to win server. i got mini off craigslist for $500 - it was a mid 2011 model that the guy used for 10 months, upgraded it to 8gig of ram with ssd. he got fed up cos he found the mac interface cumbersome. it has since become my htpc and 24/7 torrent machine.

consider an ssd upgrade for your imac. i did it for my 2010 mbp at home ... boot time was amazing. if it was a 2011 model (i need the 4.0 low power BT)i would have just used that at work instead. oh well :P

My iMac was an unwanted gift as well :D some woman won it in a raffle and couldn't figure out where the Start Menu was :D so I picked it up from her for $1400/- Good deal for a brand new 27" model. Its now almost 3 years old... but I think I can still get $800-1000 for it... the wireless keyboard and mouse is still in its casing.

Considering an SSD upgrade... did that with my old 13" MBP which my wife uses now... but... itchy hands now... rumours of a Retina iMac is eating me from the inside...

me too...lugged in a 1TB SSD for under $400 and damn thing flies.....wohoooo...boot times, under 10s

My iMac was an unwanted gift as well :D some woman won it in a raffle and couldn't figure out where the Start Menu was :D so I picked it up from her for $1400/- Good deal for a brand new 27" model. Its now almost 3 years old... but I think I can still get $800-1000 for it... the wireless keyboard and mouse is still in its casing.

Considering an SSD upgrade... did that with my old 13" MBP which my wife uses now... but... itchy hands now... rumours of a Retina iMac is eating me from the inside...

well, the new retinas, gonna be tougher to upgrade the ssd. They use the thin flash i think....damn proprietary

me too...lugged in a 1TB SSD for under $400 and damn thing flies.....wohoooo...boot times, under 10s

well, the new retinas, gonna be tougher to upgrade the ssd. They use the thin flash i think....damn proprietary

my 5 yrs old imac having blurry patch after using for a while (10min), is the LCD going to kaput?

i am very sure it has nothing to do with my eyesight [:p]

Turbocharged

dunno why though .. my razer blade @ home, even after 3 years, the ssd still boots to windows in abt 5 sec. love it!

ssd or death!

lol

dunno why though .. my razer blade @ home, even after 3 years, the ssd still boots to windows in abt 5 sec. love it!

ssd or death!

lol

yea bro...SSD FTW!!!!

same thing, i get opis, pc..first thing, clone and SSD it.

collick ask me eh why fast ah..i say i put red bull :D:D:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1