Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Divers

Dear all,

We can soon see Michelin sport 4.

http://tyresearch.telegraph.co.uk/r-new-tyres-advice/the-michelin-pilot-sport-4-on-show-at-frankfurt-27847

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on show at Frankfurt

New tyres

Tyre manufacturer Michelin is showcasing its new sports tyre, the Pilot Sport 4, at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show. A much anticipated tyre that is up against some keen competition.

michelin-ps4-sports_a.jpg

Michelin’s long-awaited new summer sports tyre, the Pilot Sport 4, is finally on show at the Frankfurt Motor Show. - Copyright © : Michelin

Competition in the sport’s tyre segment is rife, while Continental has just launched the SportContact 6, Michelin is currently presenting the latest addition to its Pilot Sport range at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

The Pilot Sport range has earned a solid reputation, especially for its most versatile version which until now was the Pilot Sport 3, a tyre available on the market since 2010.

To ensure continuity, the PS4 goes even further than its predecessor offering significant progress in several areas, mainly thanks to Michelin’s experience in racing.

Driving pleasure

Logically, the Pilot Sport 4 places the emphasis on driving sensations and pure efficiency. For this, its structure features a reinforced belt to keep any tyre deformation to a minimum and, as a result, improves driving precision, dynamic response and of course, the level of pure grip.

michelin-ps4-tread-design_vl.jpgCopyright © : Michelin

Geared towards safety

The PS4 is a tyre designed to equip passenger cars. As such, it must deliver an excellent level of safety in all weather conditions. Its new tread compound has been developed with this in mind, just like its wide grooves providing efficient water evacuation.

However, the brief presentation did not provide any further information about this new Michelin tyre. We hope to compare it with other reference tyres in the high performance segment in the near future to truly evaluate its potential. Let’s hope it achieves its efficiency.

Availability

The Pilot Sport 4 will be available on the market in January 2016, and initially, only in 17- and 18-inch sizes. New sizes will be available later, and in particular, 19-inch sizes.

michelin-ps4-wet-conditions_vl.jpgCopyright © : Michelin

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

<p>Dear all, We can soon see Michelin sport 4. http://tyresearch.telegraph.co.uk/r-new-tyres-advice/the-michelin-pilot-sport-4-on-show-at-frankfurt-27847 The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on show at FrankfurtNew tyresTyre manufacturer Michelin is showcasing its new sports tyre, the Pilot Sport 4, at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show. A much anticipated tyre that is up against some keen competition.michelin-ps4-sports_a.jpg Michelins long-awaited new summer sports tyre, the Pilot Sport 4, is finally on show at the Frankfurt Motor Show. - Copyright © : Michelin On the same topic

Competition in the sports tyre segment is rife, while Continental has just launched the SportContact 6, Michelin is currently presenting the latest addition to its Pilot Sport range at the Frankfurt Motor Show.The Pilot Sport range has earned a solid reputation, especially for its most versatile version which until now was the Pilot Sport 3, a tyre available on the market since 2010.To ensure continuity, the PS4 goes even further than its predecessor offering significant progress in several areas, mainly thanks to Michelins experience in racing. Driving pleasureLogically, the Pilot Sport 4 places the emphasis on driving sensations and pure efficiency. For this, its structure features a reinforced belt to keep any tyre deformation to a minimum and, as a result, improves driving precision, dynamic response and of course, the level of pure grip. michelin-ps4-tread-design_vl.jpgCopyright © : Michelin Geared towards safetyThe PS4 is a tyre designed to equip passenger cars. As such, it must deliver an excellent level of safety in all weather conditions. Its new tread compound has been developed with this in mind, just like its wide grooves providing efficient water evacuation.However, the brief presentation did not provide any further information about this new Michelin tyre. We hope to compare it with other reference tyres in the high performance segment in the near future to truly evaluate its potential. Lets hope it achieves its efficiency. AvailabilityThe Pilot Sport 4 will be available on the market in January 2016, and initially, only in 17- and 18-inch sizes. New sizes will be available later, and in particular, 19-inch sizes. michelin-ps4-wet-conditions_vl.jpgCopyright © : Michelin

The tread design resemmbles Goodyear F1 Asym 2

• Praise 11

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - First Drive

tMichelin-Pilot-Sport-4-PS4.jpgWith the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially going on sale at the start of 2016, but not launching to the press until later in the year, we were keen to get some miles on a set to answer the miriad of questions already appearing in our inbox.

The solution? Our long term Skoda Octavia VRS, which fortunately wears one of the launch sizies - 225/40 R18. Four tyres and 500 miles later, we're able to give our first impressions of the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

The History

Before we get to the driving details, it's worth understanding how the Pilot Sport 4 is being positioned. The Pilot Sport 3 wasn't the direct successor to the Pilot Sport 2, that was actually replaced by the Pilot Super Sport, but instead the Pilot Sport 3 actually slotted in between the Pilot Exalto 2 and Pilot Super Sport, aiming more at the hot hatch market, and moving the balance towards wet grip and comfort.

michelin-pilot-sport-4-vs-formula-e.jpg

The Pilot Sport 4 builds on the success of the Pilot Super Sport, plus also takes lessons Michelin have learnt as the sole tyre supplier for the Formula E series, meaning the new Pilot Sport 4 is once again more inline with the "Pilot Sport" ethos. Think of it as a brother to the Pilot Super Sport, and a cousin of the Pilot Sport 3.

The First Drive

The new Skoda Octavia VRS has a torquey turbocharged engine, delivering 227 bhp and 258 lb-ft torque through the front wheels. This leads to a challenging job for the front tyres, but allows us to quickly get a good impression of how the new tyre performs.

michelin-pilot-sport-4-fitting.jpg

Less than a mile out of the tyre garage, the improvement over the OE fitment Continental Sport Contact 2s were apparent. On the cold greasy roads where the old tyres would spin up in a straight line in second gear, and sometimes even in third, the new Michelins had no such problems. This made exiting junctions, or making progress around roundabouts a much safer, more predictable and faster experience.

The overly stiff VRS chassis also highlighted another big plus of the tyre, comfort. The Michelins were noticeably quieter, and crashed far less over road imperfections at all speeds. One trade of comfort is often steering feel and speed, and while the Michelins were slightly slower to turn than the old tyres, and offered slightly less feel, it seemed like a more sensible compromise for the VRS chassis.

Longer Term

Now we've got a few more miles on them we're still just as impressed. Grip is improved in all conditions, the balance of the car is still neutral with a preference for understeer when really pushed, and wear looks to be non existent after 500 miles.

We'll keep an eye on fuel economy and wear over the coming months, but as always, feel free to leave your own review if you were lucky enough to get one of the early sets of tyres!

• Praise 2

will it be better than pss?

Depends on what you mean by "better". Handling? Grip? Noise? Wear? Comfort?

I doubt it would perform like PSS b/c they are in different categories.

• Praise 4

I thought PS4 is replacement for PSS ?

Depends on what you mean by "better". Handling? Grip? Noise? Wear? Comfort?

I doubt it would perform like PSS b/c they are in different categories.

• Praise 3

The true replacement for the Pilot Sport 2 came in the shape of the well regarded Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

As for the fate of the much loved Pilot Super Sport? This tyre will continue to sit above the Pilot Sport 4

Hopefully the price doesn't differ much from PS3 to PS4, i wanna try PS4 if price doesn't stretch too far.

Reference: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-Press-Release.htm

I thought PS4 is replacement for PSS ?

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

Are the Pilot series tyres louder than the Primacy line? If so, I take it the Pilots are more for performance than the Primacy are.

• Praise 2

Are the Pilot series tyres louder than the Primacy line? If so, I take it the Pilots are more for performance than the Primacy are.

refer to Michelin site

pilot is the sport range of tires

primacy is the luxury range

is it not necessary pilot tire is more noisier (it boils down to individual expectation)

• Praise 3

PS4 had been sold here for months, anyone has any firsthand reviews?

It is known to be a step down from PSS and cousin of PS3.

I am looking at this for my next change as PSS don't have 17 inch here. Currently on comfort-based tyres (gr100), now wanna go  for performance tyres.

• Praise 4

I am looking at this for my next change as PSS don't have 17 inch here. Currently on comfort-based tyres (gr100), now wanna go  for performance tyres.

I am using PSS 205/45 17.

• Praise 2

I am looking at this for my next change as PSS don't have 17 inch here. Currently on comfort-based tyres (gr100), now wanna go for performance tyres.

PSS is available for 17" in certain sizes only.

205/45/17 , 215/45/17 ,225/45/17, 235/45/17, 245/40/17, 245/45/17

• Praise 2

Oh pss has 17 inch. My preferred size is 225-45-17. I heard friends say pss only 18 and above. Then I checked Michelin sg website also minimum 18.

• Praise 1

Oh pss has 17 inch. My preferred size is 225-45-17. I heard friends say pss only 18 and above. Then I checked Michelin sg website also minimum 18.

Call Autokinetic and check got or not

Does anyone know if these come in 225/45/18 down here? I'm damn fed up with my Goodyear A3s that I'm probably gonna blow some more cash on a set of PS4s if they have the size I'm looking for.

• Praise 1

I wanted to change to PSS 225/45/R17 but no stock ended up put on PS4 at $180 per tyre. Last check with my regular tyre shop that PSS on 225/45/R17 has stock at $220 each.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3