Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

(edited)

i never have any problem with the battery for eco SS.. cos i always disable it... i find it very irritating especially in a jam. how much petrol can you actual save from this feature vs regular battery replacement. generally i prefer to drive in comfort unless one is coming from the point of saving environment reasoning. 

Below is the results of real experiment to bust the myth on the so called savings of AUTO-START-STOP

AUTO-START-STOP ALWAYS OFF, comfort mode: 30,000 km at 13.9km/L FC* 

AUTO-START-STOP ALWAYS ON, comfort mode: 10,000 km at 14.4km/L FC* [And even going to the extent of turning OFF the air-con with the just hte fan on at traffic light so that I can maintain the extend OFF mode for > 30 seconds.]

*FC calculated from mileage clocked divide by actual petrol pumped (as per petrol station receipt) 

*Based on daily mileage of 100km/day with 80km expressway + 20km non-expressway.

Assuming 40,000km mileage clocked over 400 days (at 100km/day) & RON98 $2.60/Litre:

a) Petrol Spend = 40,000km / 13.9 * $2.60/L = $7,498 in 400 days 

b) Petrol Spend = 40,000km / 14.4 * $2.60/L= $7,210 in 400 Days

Savings in petrol spend = $7498-$7210 = $288 savings in 400 days

=> Savings $0.22/day or  $22/month.

My conclusion: AUTO START-STOP do save some small quantity of petrol.

Edited by kingfisher07
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Below is the results of real experiment to bust the myth on the so called savings of AUTO-START-STOP

AUTO-START-STOP ALWAYS OFF, comfort mode: 30,000 km at 13.9km/L FC*

AUTO-START-STOP ALWAYS ON, comfort mode: 10,000 km at 14.4km/L FC* [And even going to the extent of turning OFF the air-con with the just hte fan on at traffic light so that I can maintain the extend OFF mode for > 30 seconds.]

*FC calculated from mileage clocked divide by actual petrol pumped (as per petrol station receipt)

*Based on daily mileage of 100km/day with 80km expressway + 20km non-expressway.

Assuming 40,000km mileage clocked over 400 days (at 100km/day) & RON98 $2.60/Litre:

a) Petrol Spend = 40,000km / 13.9 * $2.60/L = $7,498 in 400 days

b) Petrol Spend = 40,000km / 14.4 * $2.60/L= $7,210 in 400 Days

Savings in petrol spend = $7498-$7210 = $288 savings in 400 days

=> Savings $0.22/day or $22/month.

My conclusion: AUTO START-STOP do save some small quantity of petrol.

$22 a mth ? Vs battery replacement cost .. worth it ? Haha

Twincharged
(edited)

In case you think that the Auto stop was implemented in cars to help consumers save fuel, then I think you are mistaken.

The reason why auto makers do so is to Adhere to regulations for lower fuel consumption of vehicles. And unfortunately they work the best when they are under official testing scenarios since it is those test they need to show an improvement. Which is why you’ll be hard pressed to see any significant fuel savings in real life.

It’s the same reason why it’s was said Aston martin bought toyota iQ and renamed it Aston Martin cygnet to lower their corporate fuel consumption.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

No billing. Foc. Car and battery was still Within 2 years warranty.

Ha, my battery seems to be in good shape, and my drive up North will actually be good for the car, glad you had yours fixed.

Seem like many of us having battery problems due to eco start/start. It only good to 1yr then start failing I sent in twice , CnC attribute this to daytime running light, in-car camera and ambiance lighting. I am not really convinced.

Interesting.  I was mistaken when i thought my SE had managed to over-ride and de-activate my eco start-stop system when I first got my car. It has been functioning but in the 14+ months I have been driving my car the eco start-stop has activated only 4 or 5 times when surrounding temp was much cooler than normal. I don't even bother to de-activate it as it seldom comes on.  My SE said AD had extended the timing before the eco start-stop kicks in. However, it sounds like the start-stop is happening frequently for some of you.  Does it happen daily and for every drive? 

• Praise 2

Actually, ASS is to counter the emission regulation rather than fuel consumption. 

Another analogy:

the ASS is answer to the emission testings  as 10yr series is answer to the O-levels.

All meant to be test/exam smart but no guarantee the test participants can excel in the real world. 

In case you think that the Auto stop was implemented in cars to help consumers save fuel, then I think you are mistaken.

The reason why auto makers do so is to Adhere to regulations for lower fuel consumption of vehicles. And unfortunately they work the best when they are under official testing scenarios since it is those test they need to show an improvement. Which is why you’ll be hard pressed to see any significant fuel savings in real life.

It’s the same reason why it’s was said Aston martin bought toyota iQ and renamed it Aston Martin cygnet to lower their corporate fuel consumption.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

You could do it in Elebest .  

Am driving a W211. Even older then yours.

W211 has a very solid feel and it is indeed one of the most solid  car. and the wavy leather at the door above the  armrest/door handle area is very nice.

thks, only 9mths+ from CnC

Same with mine, however I've spoke to the SE and according to him its a different battery. I believe the one you just change was the main battery. For the Auto Start Stop is from Auxiliary Battery and its gonna cost around 4++ de...

• Praise 3

thks, only 9mths+ from CnC

Then cannot be battery drain. If so, cnc has to replace it for you. Mine lasted almost 3 years with stop start usage 50% of the time.

BTW auto stop start, in addition to it being a fad, is also a feature used by automakers to pass emission tests. I personally think it has little real life value. Don't forget it's not good for the environment to manufacture a lot batteries as well.

• Praise 1

Hello gurus,

I had a CLA200 from CnC 2 years ago. During then, the screen did not have any Apple connect or GPS apps on it. Just the usual Radio station display on and when doing reverse, the camera would come on.

I observed that these are usually the case for most MB cars. Its such a waste and under-utilized of good gadget.

Lately I saw the newspaper ad that CnC have more apps loaded to their MB cars. Was wondering if I can get mine upgraded with GPS and phone apps and how would they be charged?

Thanks gurus.

U may check with infinity Werkz if they can activate the Apple CarPlay for ur model
  • Praise 2

U may check with infinity Werkz if they can activate the Apple CarPlay for ur model

I install my W205 9G carplay with a bro outside. he charge me a very reasonable price compart to those shop. PM me if you wants his contact

• Praise 2

Then cannot be battery drain. If so, cnc has to replace it for you. Mine lasted almost 3 years with stop start usage 50% of the time.

BTW auto stop start, in addition to it being a fad, is also a feature used by automakers to pass emission tests. I personally think it has little real life value. Don't forget it's not good for the environment to manufacture a lot batteries as well.

Ya, m waiting for my 20 June appt....very disappointing that d original factory battery can only last 9 mths

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys I totally forgot to apply P for parking and my car rolled back and hit the railing behind... anyone can advise best and economical way to repair? The scratches are those white vertical lines just above the black bumper.

20180604_134414.jpg

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Hi guys I totally forgot to apply P for parking and my car rolled back and hit the railing behind... anyone can advise best and economical way to repair? The scratches are those white vertical lines just above the black bumper.

20180604_134414.jpg

try polishing it first

if you are lucky, you can remove 90% of it

Neutral Newbie

try polishing it first

if you are lucky, you can remove 90% of it

It's a bit deep into the paint base coating :( Anyone got lobang that can do good job?
  • Praise 1

Get touch up paint from C&C and use a toothpick or very fine brush to fill in the scratches. After dry get professional polisher to use their rotary polishing tool to smooth out the filled scratches. Should be able to achieve quite a satisfactory effect. 

If cannot take imperfection  just get someone to respray the bumper. 

It's a bit deep into the paint base coating :( Anyone got lobang that can do good job?

↡ Advertisement