Soft drinks also wanna tax?

ChaosMyth

Din really read thru all the posts cos I came in late.

In general I agree that added sugar consumption must be reduced.

The beef is not really about reducing it.. but rather how it's being done.

Taxing seems like a way to want to generate more revenue in a thinly veiled disguise of caring for our well being.

If they implement penalties for companies should they produce drinks more than a certain amount of sugar, rather than tax outright, maybe the public response may be better.

• Praise 4

Din really read thru all the posts cos I came in late.

In general I agree that added sugar consumption must be reduced.

The beef is not really about reducing it.. but rather how it's being done.

Taxing seems like a way to want to generate more revenue in a thinly veiled disguise of caring for our well being.

If they implement penalties for companies should they produce drinks more than a certain amount of sugar, rather than tax outright, maybe the public response may be better.

The caveat for this approach is that the company pays for unsold goods. When this good is easy to produce, the competition can make it very tough for the companies.

Taxing consumers directly means the tax is implemented only when sold.

I have given up sugars in all my drinks. Only teh si siu dai, otherwise all kosong for me. Used to drink a lot of the sodas and this created lots of problems for my body.

The word TAX is already a turn off. So many taxes still not enough?

Should call it Healthy Well-Being Levy.

Yes sugar levy sounds more like sugar baby or sugar daddy!
  • Praise 2

The caveat for this approach is that the company pays for unsold goods. When this good is easy to produce, the competition can make it very tough for the companies.

Taxing consumers directly means the tax is implemented only when sold.

I have given up sugars in all my drinks. Only teh si siu dai, otherwise all kosong for me. Used to drink a lot of the sodas and this created lots of problems for my body.

Yes sugar levy sounds more like sugar baby or sugar daddy!

Same with COE. To me, it is just a luxury tax.

Simi certificate? Simi entitlement? 

• Praise 1

my oc likes sweet fizzy drinks....every day coke and just now root beer but still she weighs in the sub 50s range...ððð. I have been like that since ns....where my platoon mates drinks colas i will happily drink h20 from my water-bottle.....once in a while then i will swap for a cola or kickapoo. My son is following my footstep....but his gf is always buying for him coke.....haiz!

Everyday drink soft drink? Even thin people doesnt mean is good to drink too much soft drink de. Diabetic happen to any size of people, same theory like thin people might have high cholesterol too.
  • Praise 1

Actually in principle I dun mind tax on sugar. But with other countries tax with one hand reappear as subsidies on the other hand... in sg gahmen just eat coz they say Singkies will become welfare queen if get subsidies

Everyday drink soft drink? Even thin people doesnt mean is good to drink too much soft drink de. Diabetic happen to any size of people, same theory like thin people might have high cholesterol too.

Told her off so many times.........now i just keep quiet lor. During Raya i will buy 2 or 3 cartons of coke or fnn orange juice......guess who drank the most?

Told her off so many times.........now i just keep quiet lor. During Raya i will buy 2 or 3 cartons of coke or fnn orange juice......guess who drank the most?ð«ð«ð«

THEn better not let her know during festive season woodlands warehouse sale 1.5L FNN bottle drinks at $0.70

Sugar is not the problem.

Carbo is.

So we should tax all flour, rice, cereal, potato.

Heck, we should ban all of them.

You would all be very healthy.

Sugar is not the problem.

Carbo is.

So we should tax all flour, rice, cereal, potato.

Heck, we should ban all of them.

You would all be very healthy.

Like that can don't eat anything liao.

Just keep drinking water.  [laugh]

The word TAX is already a turn off. So many taxes still not enough?

Should call it Healthy Well-Being Levy.

Some govts like to use tax as a tool for encouraging reduction in consumption of a particular material supposedly to benefit a cause.

It's a stupid way that doesn't fool anyone that the main aim is just to generate more revenue.

Look at France now, where Macron tried to increase fuel tax, supposedly for environmental reasons. French people not stupid and they showed it clearly.

• Praise 2

Some govts like to use tax as a tool for encouraging reduction in consumption of a particular material supposedly to benefit a cause.

It's a stupid way that doesn't fool anyone that the main aim is just to generate more revenue.

Look at France now, where Macron tried to increase fuel tax, supposedly for environmental reasons. French people not stupid and they showed it clearly.

I mentioned a few pages earlier the frenchies got balls. They let it show.

Here the sinkies just absorbed everything, like a sponge.

• Praise 1

Sugar tax to change behaviour, not boost revenues

The objective of a proposed tax on high-sugar pre-packaged drinks is not to boost government coffers but to ensure that it changes the actions of consumers and manufacturers of such products, Senior Minister of State for Health Edwin Tong said yesterday.

His comments come as Singapore grapples with the issue of how to cut high sugar intake among people here - a major contributor to obesity and diabetes.

"We want this fiscal measure to influence and shape behaviour... If we impose taxes and we end up collecting more taxes, then I think something is not right. Because it means people are prepared to pay the tax to consume the same level of sugar," Mr Tong told 50 participants at a dialogue at Maxwell Chambers.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/sugar-tax-to-change-behaviour-not-boost-revenues

its not about marnee hor ... Edwin Tong say one ...  <_<

• Praise 4