Start/ Stop function not working = weak battery?

nigel8210

I have changed my AGM battery after 2.5years, 70Ah Varta once

Now the start/stop function fail again after 2 years, I thought AGM batteries can last longer than conventional type

Does it mean now my battery is weak again presumably that's the cause for the start/stop failure recently?

Ride : W205 C200 year 2014

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

avg lifetime of a car batt usually 2 years.

and stop/start function not helping.

most ppl will disable it as they say it hurts the transmission.

• Praise 2

Now the start/stop function fail again after 2 years, I thought AGM batteries can last longer than conventional type

Does it mean now my battery is weak again presumably that's the cause for the start/stop failure recently?

Benz orginal battery if fail 2 years i think very fast , normally last 3-4 years.

u can try check the auxiliary battery .

(normally this spoil got the auxiliary battery malfunction) error

• Praise 2

do you use start stop all the time and have short driving journies ?

do you use start stop all the time and have short driving journies ?

short driving journies maybe

But all the while the first thing I do is to OFF the start stop function upon starting the car as I hated it

Now it will always be YELLOW and wont turn GREEN to activate the function in a way, its good I don't have to press the OFF button anymore

But I am worried and concerned if the battery is weak as I plan to go for a road trip in Malaysia soon

PS: Not cheap leh, the last change for the 70Ah Varta was like $400, and its those outside tyre battery workshop

short driving journies maybe

But all the while the first thing I do is to OFF the start stop function upon starting the car as I hated it

Now it will always be YELLOW and wont turn GREEN to activate the function in a way, its good I don't have to press the OFF button anymore

But I am worried and concerned if the battery is weak as I plan to go for a road trip in Malaysia soon

PS: Not cheap leh, the last change for the 70Ah Varta was like $400, and its those outside tyre battery workshop

If you are planning to drive to malaysia then I would suggest checking the battery and changing if necessary.

Conti cars are a bit sensitive to weak battery and may throw up other issues.

Do confirm if yours is just one battery or one main battery + one aux battery. For those models with aux battery, should be the aux battery powering the auto start stop.

• Praise 1

I won’t be able to comment on other makes. I just change my battery on my car (2 years old) as the start stop didn’t work any more. Once it is changed, start stop works normally . In our climate and short trips, I suppose car batteries won’t last .

Supersonic

Start stop batteries don't seem to last long, due to the extra stress on it.

The battery has to start the engine many more times, compared to a normal battery starting cycle.

The battery needs to be properly charged periodically.

Depending on  the car alternator is not enough.

That's why I have an external battery charger to help me refresh my battery every few months.

• Praise 1

Same problem... went to see and see to check but they say no issue so battery wasnt changed.

drove home and still haven't seen green today yet.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

The battery has to start the engine many more times, compared to a normal battery starting cycle.

I remember reading somewhere that cars with auto SS will require special kind of battery, not those normal ones due to the reason u mentioned.

Anyway, mine konked after less than 2 years.

Not sure if it's exactly due to the auto ss.. I have car camera recording 24x7 that may cause excessive drain.

• Praise 1

start stop or EFB battery  have more crank cycle.

suppose to last longer then normal battery .(under same useage condition)

if your car is starting more cos of the stop start function ,

could be driving habit, or just off the function.

Supersonic
(edited)

I remember reading somewhere that cars with auto SS will require special kind of battery, not those normal ones due to the reason u mentioned.

Anyway, mine konked after less than 2 years.

Not sure if it's exactly due to the auto ss.. I have car camera recording 24x7 that may cause excessive drain.

SS requires either AGM or EFB battery.

Car camera draining battery 24x7 should have benefited from the above, as compared to regular battery.

But then this EFB tech is quite new, so it remains to be seen how effective it is.

AGM is not new tech, but it suffers from heat, unless placed in a cool location.

Imo, the lack of water in AGM allows it to be heated directly, so is less lasting.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

The battery needs to be properly charged periodically.

Depending on  the car alternator is not enough.

That's why I have an external battery charger to help me refresh my battery every few months.

Is it a Normal Battery Charger.?Thinking of buying 1,can shoot a picture of your Charger.?

Supersonic
(edited)

Is it a Normal Battery Charger.?Thinking of buying 1,can shoot a picture of your Charger.?

AGM requires a lower charging voltage, typically around 13.5V

Regular lead-acid battery voltage charging voltage is higher, around 14.4V

If you place a AGM in a car with alternator putting out 14.4V, it tends to overheat and don't last very long.

So be careful with the charging voltage.

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1