Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

actually I've always been curious.

most of the people that cross the border at guangdong, also speak cantonese right?

Can hongkongers tell the difference? [laugh]

I went to HK with my parents in 2004. And subsequently took a local tour 4 days 3 nights in Guangzhou for 4 days. The tour guide speaks in cantonese. Everyone speaks cantonese. I don't understand cantonese.

Those 4 days in guangzhou unless i speak in putonghua, no one speaks mandarin unless spoken to in mandarin.

Can they differentiate guangzhou cantonese from HK?

of course can differentiate

if you watch “tien mi mi” movie

leon lai and maggie cheung

both come form prc to hk

then they immediate kena ostracized because of their accent

hk cantonese accent very different to their local

the closer one is msia cantonese

all very seasoned with hk tvb drama liao ... lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

There's because majority of those in Shenzhen are not Cantonese people, they are new immigrants from other provinces. Today, even if you go to Beijing, you will also not hear much of authentic Beijing dialect (which is not Mandarin) because there are more new immigrants.

In other parts of Guangdong, there are different Cantonese accents, that fluent speakers can tell the difference. In Guangxi, they also speak Cantonese, or what they call 白話. 

Compared with Beijing, Shanghai, the local language in GZ is still quite strong but not sure for how long. Most of the new generation don't speak their local languages. I think they will be punished in school for using it.

When i was working in Beijing, i was lucky to work with 2 beijinger.  Picked up some Beijing slang.  Now forget liao.

In GZ, everyone speaks Cantonese including outsiders.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3015722/hong-kongs-largest-pro-establishment-party-urges-city?fbclid=IwAR3nY-ARWhFm1eZKule3_3fdLSKNR8a4DWlP1aqCRp0HmUOVNLr4QQ99xlA

Hong Kong’s largest pro-establishment party ‘would not oppose’ city leader Carrie Lam announcing full withdrawal of extradition bill to heal rifts in society
  • But DAB chairwoman Starry Lee also warns demands for an inquiry into police use of force in June 12 protests will only further dampen officers’ morale
  • Student unions issue joint statement to reiterate protests will continue until government meets their demands

actually I've always been curious.

most of the people that cross the border at guangdong, also speak cantonese right?

Can hongkongers tell the difference? [laugh]

I went to HK with my parents in 2004. And subsequently took a local tour 4 days 3 nights in Guangzhou for 4 days. The tour guide speaks in cantonese. Everyone speaks cantonese. I don't understand cantonese.

Those 4 days in guangzhou unless i speak in putonghua, no one speaks mandarin unless spoken to in mandarin.

Can they differentiate guangzhou cantonese from HK?

definitely lala.

many here already explain the differences maybe add abit more for illustration.

if a cantonese sentence peppered with even one word of English syllabus 90% he is from hk.

example..the word shop..ping vs GZ (购物) toilet/厕所 (traditional chinese) versus GZ 洗手间.

malaysia cantonese 落水 vs Hk 落雨。

there are many more examples.

the slang and tone as well.

hmmmm imo GZ cantonese more pure and origin while HKer cantonese more rojak (singapore description) hahaha

definitely lala.

many here already explain the differences maybe add abit more for illustration.

if a cantonese sentence peppered with even one word of English syllabus 90% he is from hk.

example..the word shop..ping vs GZ (购物) toilet/厕所 (traditional chinese) versus GZ 洗手间.

malaysia cantonese 落水 vs Hk 落雨。

there are many more examples.

the slang and tone as well.

hmmmm imo GZ cantonese more pure and origin while HKer cantonese more rojak (singapore description) hahaha

China canto drama 告退(辞)vs HK TVB drama 走先

I chat with my friends in hk.

if police don't remove the characterising of riot for 612 than it will go down in history book they are rioters. That is the root cause. protestor versus rioter. Only those students participatedneed that day can feel just or unjust. We as keyboard warrior have no say.

China canto drama åé(è¾ï¼vs HK TVB drama èµ°å

those are drama dialogue not daily conversation. 做爱 vs po 野。

I chat with my friends in hk.

if police don't remove the characterising of riot for 612 than it will go down in history book they are rioters. That is the root cause. protestor versus rioter. Only those students participatedneed that day can feel just or unjust. We as keyboard warrior have no say.

those are drama dialogue not daily conversation. 做爱 vs po 野。

someone posted this..

香港《基本法》第十八条規定: 在香港出现港府无法控制的动乱时,全国人大常委会可宣布香港进入紧急状态,此时中央政府可宣布命令,大陆法律自动适用于香港。

so i went to look up a little, this is what is written.

中华人民共和国香港特别行政区基本法

第十八条 在香港特别行政区实行的法律为本法以及本法第八条规定的香港原有法律和香港特别行政区立法机关制定的法律。
  全国性法律除列于本法附件三者外,不在香港特别行政区实施。凡列于本法附件三之法律,由香港特别行政区在当地公布或立法实施。
  全国人民代表大会常务委员会在征询其所属的香港特别行政区基本法委员会和香港特别行政区政府的意见后,可对列于本法附件三的法律作出增减,任何列入附件三的法律,限于有关国防、外交和其他按本法规定不属于香港特别行政区自治范围的法律。
  全国人民代表大会常务委员会决定宣布战争状态或因香港特别行政区内发生香港特别行政区政府不能控制的危及国家统一或安全的动乱而决定香港特别行政区进入紧急状态,中央人民政府可发布命令将有关全国性法律在香港特别行政区实施。

lets see if HK gov doesnt give in to the protesters requests, and 3 million ppl start to march onto the street. 

Will section 18 be activated?  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

(edited)

I wish to see 3 million or 4 million protesters get into another "peaceful protest".... 

How far and how long do you think the protest will advance? 

and lets make a guess what would be the turn out on 630 to support the police?... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

There's because majority of those in Shenzhen are not Cantonese people, they are new immigrants from other provinces. Today, even if you go to Beijing, you will also not hear much of authentic Beijing dialect (which is not Mandarin) because there are more new immigrants.

In other parts of Guangdong, there are different Cantonese accents, that fluent speakers can tell the difference. In Guangxi, they also speak Cantonese, or what they call ç½è©±.

Compared with Beijing, Shanghai, the local language in GZ is still quite strong but not sure for how long. Most of the new generation don't speak their local languages. I think they will be punished in school for using it. There are certain Guangdong media which are known to be more resistant to conformity to central policy, but also don't know for how long.

Actually in indonesia they also standardised bahasa as main language for all citizens to learn. Its important for whole nation to learn a similar language because using dialects, although its good to preserve heritage and culture, it is not viable and a common language will unite the nation better.

Thats why in sg since young we are forced to learn english not our dialects, not our mother tongue. You can fail your mother tongue but not english

You fail english you will be punished as you cant get into poly or jc or even advance to next higher level class

A standardised national language and banning mother tongues are two different things. I think you are confused between the two.

If the ban at school or legislative house its logical

But if ban whole province then its wrong. They can promote putonghua but shouldnt forget its root

Just imagine if our ministers going to the UN and are mocked for speaking in a Singlish accent, or banned from speaking. Of course, the UN is not a country but it's more about representation.

Here's a recent case of mocking an MP speaking Welsh in the UK parliament. The Welsh accent happens to be rather similar to Singlish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uvyhzgVfpo

I personally know a very smart mainlander who came from the villages, couldn't speak proper Mandarin and mocked by his fellow countrymen in Beijing despite being very good in his work. Ten years later, he improved on his Mandarin, and also English and left for the US.

With singlish u still can communicate

With broken mandarin u still can communicate

If that smart mainlander persists in speaking dialect would he be able to find job in china or to extent need to learn english so that he can work in usa?

Singlish still can communicate ? Where ? Only in SG ? And maybe MY ? Speakers of Singlish is smaller than even any of the Chinese dialects in any Chinese province. Should it be banned ? Or introduce a law to punish the use of Singlish ?

The question was about banning isn't it ? You learn a standard language to communicate, doesn't mean you should be punished or mocked at for speaking your mother tongue with your friends.

Try to speak singlish to angmoh and speak canto to angmoh, which one angmoh will understand better?

Mocked or not, its not the point here. But did everyone in guangdong is banned from speaking canto? I went to shanghai few times and i still hear people speak shanghai dialect.

By the way try to answer english paper at O level in singlish, see Whats the punishment.

Which is reasonable, like I'd rather not trade the central catchment area for more condos or highways.

But for many HKers, they saw in the last 20 years since Tung's administration, the HK gahmen was quick to shelf their public housing plans with the slightest opposition, just talking and planning only. For this amendment, seems they were very quick hand quick leg, hope to chop chop pass and refuse to back out despite huge protests. [laugh] [laugh] 

In the 1990's, when Chris Patten announced building the CLK airport I remember there was huge opposition from the CCP. They said that he was trying to deplete HK's reserves before 1997. Looking back, was it true ? Just imagine if now HK still has the KT airport in Kowloon. [laugh] [laugh] Interesting sights and sounds though for the tourists in Kowloon though, but sleepless nights for the residents.

In the 1990's, when Chris Patten announced building the CLK airport I remember there was huge opposition from the CCP. They said that he was trying to deplete HK's reserves before 1997. Looking back, was it true ? Just imagine if now HK still has the KT airport in Kowloon.

Yes ...very very true!! Even the local Hong Kong plus jv companies  were also cbcb.....I was there as my ex-company got the sub-contract to perform hydrographic surveys around CLK island and other smaller islands during the earlier stages of reclaiming land. Most of the main contracts were awarded to the British companies with high bidding values, while the locals or jv only be sub-contractors....to the main players.

• Praise 1

someone posted this..

香港《基本法》第十八条規定: 在香港出现港府无法控制的动乱时,全国人大常委会可宣布香港进入紧急状态,此时中央政府可宣布命令,大陆法律自动适用于香港。

so i went to look up a little, this is what is written.

中华人民共和国香港特别行政区基本法

第十八条 在香港特别行政区实行的法律为本法以及本法第八条规定的香港原有法律和香港特别行政区立法机关制定的法律。

全国性法律除列于本法附件三者外,不在香港特别行政区实施。凡列于本法附件三之法律,由香港特别行政区在当地公布或立法实施。

全国人民代表大会常务委员会在征询其所属的香港特别行政区基本法委员会和香港特别行政区政府的意见后,可对列于本法附件三的法律作出增减,任何列入附件三的法律,限于有关国防、外交和其他按本法规定不属于香港特别行政区自治范围的法律。

全国人民代表大会常务委员会决定宣布战争状态或因香港特别行政区内发生香港特别行政区政府不能控制的危及国家统一或安全的动乱而决定香港特别行政区进入紧急状态,中央人民政府可发布命令将有关全国性法律在香港特别行政区实施。

lets see if HK gov doesnt give in to the protesters requests, and 3 million ppl start to march onto the street. 

Will section 18 be activated?  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Thanks to Carry Lamb, Tsai Ing Wen sure win next year election liao.  Even KMT candidate change stance now.

If Xi big big invoke article 18, confirm Taiwanese will tell Xi big big over our dead body.

• Praise 1

Thanks to Carry Lamb, Tsai Ing Wen sure win next year election liao.  Even KMT candidate change stance now.

If Xi big big invoke article 18, confirm Taiwanese will tell Xi big big over our dead body.

香港特别行政区基本法 only apply to HK SAR, what has it go to do with Taiwan?

yah, I also think so, no matter what the outcome of this HK protest, the signal to TW is very clear. My guess is Tsai Ing wen not only will win, she likely will win with a big margin. If i am taiwanese I also worry after seeing what happen to HK, at least TW still got choice. 

But unless force to the wall by the protesters, I dont think Xi Big Big will use article 18. However, HongKongers need to be reminded that it is there, and it can be activated.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement