AI - Job Killer?

Voodooman

It has been estimated that between 10%-40% of jobs could potentially be automated, fully or partly, in the next 10 years using artificial intelligence (AI).  This will only accelerate as Silicon Valley and its likes around the world work on new technologies to disrupt every industry.   

Retail numbers are bad with e-commerce.  Friends in banking are telling me they are expecting massive retrenchment in the next 5 years, with large scale branch closure and as automation takes root, with digital banking.

In the US, Andrew Yang is running as a democratic presidential candidate on "freedom" dividend and making predictions that autonomous driving will cost 3 million trucking jobs in the US and another 4 million supporting jobs within 10 years. 

Some say lots of new AI / tech jobs will be created, guess that is why G is liberalizing FT policy for technology but I doubt they will be enough to replace local jobs that will be lost permanently.

So what would be a futureproof job?  I can think of plumbing, perhaps therapists and other clinical roles? Even prostitutes can be replaced with virtual reality!  Perhaps 3-4 days work week will be here soon... just to keep all employed?  With the end of lifetime employment, got to be prepared to be hired, fired and retrained several times over your entire working life.

What is your view? 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cognitiveworld/2018/08/07/job-loss-from-ai-theres-more-to-fear/amp/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

40 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

It has been estimated that between 10%-40% of jobs could potentially be automated, fully or partly, in the next 10 years using artificial intelligence (AI).  This will only accelerate as Silicon Valley and its likes around the world work on new technologies to disrupt every industry.   

Retail numbers are bad with e-commerce.  Friends in banking are telling me they are expecting massive retrenchment in the next 5 years, with large scale branch closure and as automation takes root, with digital banking.

In the US, Andrew Yang is running as a democratic presidential candidate on "freedom" dividend and making predictions that autonomous driving will cost 3 million trucking jobs in the US and another 4 million supporting jobs within 10 years. 

Some say lots of new AI / tech jobs will be created, guess that is why G is liberalizing FT policy for technology but I doubt they will be enough to replace local jobs that will be lost permanently.

So what would be a futureproof job?  I can think of plumbing, perhaps therapists and other clinical roles? Even prostitutes can be replaced with virtual reality!  Perhaps 3-4 days work week will be here soon... just to keep all employed?  With the end of lifetime employment, got to be prepared to be hired, fired and retrained several times over your entire working life.

What is your view? 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cognitiveworld/2018/08/07/job-loss-from-ai-theres-more-to-fear/amp/

screwed

• Praise 4

I am very disappointed with technology.

When I was young year 2000 we were supposed to live in space and travel in space ships.

Then we were supposed to fly around in flying cars.

I ask you all lah who in Singapore got flying car to beat the jam?

😀

All these people promising high technology all bluff us one only.

• Praise 2

Where is the robot to clean our homes?

This one not rocket science right?

2019 still don't have.

7.jpg

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2

4 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Where is the robot to clean our homes?

This one not rocket science right?

2019 still don't have.

7.jpg

japan makes some pretty realistic ones.... they dont do housework though...[gorgeous]

• Praise 1

Huh people have to dress up leave their homes and go to the bank and line up and wait?

I don't even get up to change the channel on my TV.

I use a remote control.

Why people need to go to the bank?

And people need to dress up? I don't even need wear clothes to watch TV.

😀

59 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

What is your view? 

we have hollowed out our engineeering and IT sector of local talents.

via liberal FT policy... in a cheaper , cheaper, cheaper policy that loals can never compete against..

via veryyyyy liberal free Degrees for FTs.. while telling locals  no need.

so no... those jobs created aint much for locals... the writings been on the wall for some time.

• Praise 2

High tech is all bluff one lah.

Look at our homes yo need to walk to the window to open and close it right?

In my car I just press a button.

People come to your home you need to get up and open the door right?

In my car I press a button to unlock.

Some cars press a button and the door opens itself.

😀

Why can't I press a button on the microwave and a 3 course meal magically appears?

And this microwave was all bluff people one.

Who actually cooks in a microwave. Only use to heat up right?

The car today and 100 years ago is still more or less the same.

All use petrol and tyres.

Why the car cannot hover off the ground?

Air cushion ride.

😀

I am not against high tech.

I am just disappointed its so low.

😀

For the last 50 years I heard how tech will make life so easy.

Dirty clothes still need to wash in a machine with powder and water right?

Why cannot make clothes that cannot get dirty?

Or just blow some air and the clothes cleans itself?

Underwear need to change everyday right?

Why cannot make underwear that cleans itself?  

• Praise 1

As with all fears. Its warranted but again overhyped. 

The truth is that lots of job will be lost and quite likely, new jobs will be created. As with the industrial revolution, the computing revolution. 

50-60 years ago, there wasn't an it sector. Computers probably changed the jobs of most workers. 

Will it be painful. Absolutely. Will the lowest workers suffer the most. Highly likely. 

Workers just have to get used to it lor. 

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Mockngbrd said:

Even prostitutes can be replaced with virtual reality!  

let me know when

42 minutes ago, Playtime said:

japan makes some pretty realistic ones.... they dont do housework though...[gorgeous]

• Praise 6

I saw a BBC documentary

They ask a doctor how much of your job AI can replace?

The doctors say 10-15% and the doctor was very happy.

You see all doctors think they are very busy and if AI can help reduce their workload by 10 or 15%

they will be so much happier as they are all overworked.

As if people in other jobs don't work hard at all.

Anyway after showing the doctor what AI can do the doctor changed his 10 - 15 and to 80 to 90%.

That means we can do with 90% less doctors and that means health care will be so much cheaper.

People can reduce their medical cost by a lot and we don't need to have so many doctors.

😀

Of course all doctors will be happy to say I wish there was no sickness and disease and no need for doctors at all cos we love people not money right?

43 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Where is our flying car and flying dog car so don't have to smell the dog in the car?

Image result for jetsons

I thot Malaysia pushing for this .. but as usual ... like HSR and lotus ... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1