Scam call from 'SingTel' via Viber

Atrecord

Received a call from 'Singtel Telecom' yesterday via Viber. In fact, i've maybe received only 1 call from a friend via Viber 3-4 yr ago, so didn't immediately recognise it was via Viber...

The whole screen of my phone showed the caller's profile pic, which was the official SingTel logo, so i was initially wondering why SingTel called me out of the blue via special mode (not phone call, not whatsapp call, not wechat call, not skype call - the only 4 i'm familiar with)...

Then the ang mo sounding fella said he's calling from Singtel Telecom, and that there's some lucky draw and that my phone number has won a prize of $50,000.

I had just finished a discussion with colleagues when the phone rang, so my mind wasn't v clear yet, and didn't immediately knew/decided it's a scam, partly cos got influenced by the SingTel logo, and also the price of $50k is not like those $500 mil that i've come across before from those Nigerians...

And the fella actually read out my phone number and asked if that was my number. He then asked me to 'give him my name', in order to proceed.

It was at this point that my mind became clear and alert again - on the occasions when Telcos or banks call me, they will authenticate by stressing 'for verification purpose', which this fella didn't say.

I strung him along, and asked shouldn't they my name if they're from SingTel?

At this point, the fella must have detected the first doubt from me, and still tried to substantiate it, saying that he's really calling from Singtel Telecom, in 'Changi International Airport'!!! I purposely asked him again at where, and he said 'you know, Changi International Airport'...

When i asked again, that he meant he's calling from the airport, that's when he knew the game was up, and hung up the call.

Dunno whether the hell they got my no. from, and found out i'm with SingTel to try this scam. Maybe SingTel got people got hold of their number (but not name) database for this...

Those of you with SingTel, do be careful.

Screenshot_20191025-104153_Viber.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Shocked 1

Twincharged

I answered a call from "singtel office" for my staff as he can't speak English...

A guy with Indian accent told me the subscriber won $50k in a lucky draw for their customers.

I just hung up.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

9 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

I answered a call from "singtel office" for my staff as he can't speak English...

A guy with Indian accent told me the subscriber won $50k in a lucky draw for their customers.

I just hung up.

you just jealous that he won.

• Haha! 7

Turbocharged

received the same but from starhub (2x) and changi airport (1x), all with their office logos as profile picture.

but didn't managed to pick up any of the 3 calls as phone was on silent mode.

• Praise 1

I usually do this when I have the time and mood...

“wah!!!! really ah!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!

......please take down my mailing address      Singapore 329560 and send the gift/cheque/(what have you) there. Thanks!!!  OMG!!!! I can’t wait ...”

then hang up with a “bang” 😝

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Jman888 said:

i dun have viber, what is viber? [laugh]

wah lao. real or not? another app like WA lor. not so popular here though. My UK fren likes it c.f. WA cos no need to give personal data to join...

2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

老人不懂的啦!!! [:p][laugh][laugh]

wa ha ha... zek ark you 😆

25 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

received the same but from starhub (2x) and changi airport (1x), all with their office logos as profile picture.

but didn't managed to pick up any of the 3 calls as phone was on silent mode.

wah, so it looks like maybe somehow these $#%^@& managed to fish info of which telco we're with, then impersonate accordingly and come and try scam...

But wonder why changi airport...

• Praise 2

Not related to Singtel but i believe its a scam anyways. 

This guy spoke v well and even knows my name. He said he's from some Medical Board of Singapore, Heart Centre and my contact was highlighted for critical health issue blahblahblah. He mentioned those health conditions like heart attack, diabetes etc. Its a long list like he tikam tikam maybe hit on at least 1 correct one. 

I was annoyed. Like he's cursing and hoping i was that sick.

I was alert because no idiot will disclose confidential personal health information over the phone and besides i am, thank God, not unwell.

Told him angrily he's rubbish cos i have none of those issues and hung up.

These days, must be extra alert and dun fall victim to such scams. I have a suspicion he will next want money to proceed with some miraculous drugs or cure etc. 

Screenshot of number in case u come across it. Remember your personal health information will not come by via this mode.

Dun divulge anything over the phone. If in doubt, hung up. Then call your hospital or clinic or doctor to verify. 

Just sharing

Safe ride

Cheers Screenshot_20191025-140203_Contacts.thumb.jpg.b59765c2b880f4ea69c1a40212ab1c17.jpg

• Praise 7

2 hours ago, PSP415 said:

Not related to Singtel but i believe its a scam anyways. 

This guy spoke v well and even knows my name. He said he's from some Medical Board of Singapore, Heart Centre and my contact was highlighted for critical health issue blahblahblah. He mentioned those health conditions like heart attack, diabetes etc. Its a long list like he tikam tikam maybe hit on at least 1 correct one. 

I was annoyed. Like he's cursing and hoping i was that sick.

I was alert because no idiot will disclose confidential personal health information over the phone and besides i am, thank God, not unwell.

Told him angrily he's rubbish cos i have none of those issues and hung up.

These days, must be extra alert and dun fall victim to such scams. I have a suspicion he will next want money to proceed with some miraculous drugs or cure etc. 

Screenshot of number in case u come across it. Remember your personal health information will not come by via this mode.

Dun divulge anything over the phone. If in doubt, hung up. Then call your hospital or clinic or doctor to verify. 

Just sharing

Safe ride

Cheers Screenshot_20191025-140203_Contacts.thumb.jpg.b59765c2b880f4ea69c1a40212ab1c17.jpg

Did you ever go SGH?

Remember their patient info tio hacked? Maybe that's why got your number, and talking about health-related issue...

• Praise 2

Just now, Atrecord said:

Did you ever go SGH?

Remember their patient info tio hacked? Maybe that's why got your number, and talking about health-related issue...

Nope.

But i visited quite a few ppl there. Need to register with IC n mobile number so ya maybe a breach from there is possible. 

Safe ride n good weekend all

Cheers

• Praise 5

41 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Heng my scam calls are different from you guys one :grin:

your scam all from Japan one, speak Japanese:XD::grin::grin:...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

your scam all from Japan one, speak Japanese:XD::grin::grin:...

The caller kept shouting yamate...yamate... Yamate!!?? 

• Haha! 3

Such scam calls are so common these days till everyone in my family, received at least 1 call per week. Just yesterday, I got the English version of the DHL call (it used to be in Mandarin all the while)...

Even my mum got many same call till she is "seasoned" and just hang up when the other party started speaking. :D

Nevertheless, don't let your guard off. Sharing a real case here. About a month ago, I got a missed call from a unfamiliar number. Normally, I will not act on unknown number, but as I was expecting an important call, bopian have to call back. When I asked who called, the lady (very well spoken) on the other end asked for my name, which I provided. Next she started asking for other particular like NRIC no, phone number, etc. claiming that she was from DBS bank (loan department) and need the details for verification purposes. I told her I am not comfortable to disclose all these info over the phone and ended the call.

From this case, it shows that things may start off from something not unusual, then lead to more detail being asked and disclosed, if the receiver is not alert enough.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9
  • Haha! 1