Jump to content
Jusnel

LED ceiling lights

Recommended Posts

Supercharged (edited)

To any one who knows about electricity.

I want to change my LED ceiling light. So bought a new one.  Powerpac brand.  2nd pic

I opened up my old ceiling LED light and realised the wires are "built in" into the LED lamp.  See pic.  Can see that the light is burnt. Hence got to change.

How do I remove the wires from the old light SAFELY? 

 

Ceiling light 1.jpg

Ceiling light.jpg

Edited by Jusnel
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)

Before you do anything, switch off the CB for this light. Go play around with the main CB. Or just off the main CB.

Cut away the shrink wrap(the white rubbery thing with numbers on it, it's just a layer of protective wrap) near the blue and red wire end. Look for screw to release the wires. Use a Philips head screwdriver or a test pen.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

too bad i can't advise cos i dunno.

but i'm gonna camp here to wait for experts...

cos i also have questions on changing LED lights 😁

 

  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged

Can I just cut off the wires and connect to the new LED light? 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
3 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Before you do anything, switch off the CB for this light. Go play around with the main CB.

Cut away the shrink wrap(the white rubbery thing). Look for screw to release the wires. Use a Philips head screwdriver or a test pen.

ok, good advice.  i go look at the CB

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear
10 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Can I just cut off the wires and connect to the new LED light? 

yes, you can.

 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
12 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Before you do anything, switch off the CB for this light. Go play around with the main CB. Or just off the main CB.

Cut away the shrink wrap(the white rubbery thing with numbers on it, it's just a layer of protective wrap) near the blue and red wire end. Look for screw to release the wires. Use a Philips head screwdriver or a test pen.

ok, i cut off the shrink wrap.  

The wires seems welded onto the board.  can i cut them off? 

 

 

 

 

 

Ceiling light 2.jpg

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
1 minute ago, Jusnel said:

ok, i cut off the shrink wrap.  

The wires seems welded onto the board.  can i cut them off? 

 

 

 

 

 

Ceiling light 2.jpg

Yes. Can cut. Then strip off 0.5 to 1cm of the wire insulation. You are good to connect to the new light. Red to red, blue to blue. Then turn back on the CB.

  • Praise 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

Yes, disconnect the miniature circuit breaker first by pushing it down. If it's wired as standard, it should be a 6A (for lights) MCB. If it was wired to power socket, then the MCB will probably be 25A. You need to check which one.

To be safer, just shut down the main ELCB or RCCB. But your whole house will be without power, until you push it back on.

Now brown wire is LIVE. Blue is neutral. Assuming it's wired correctly, otherwise big problem. You can probe with a test pen, it should light up when there's electricity. Which means you have to ascertain by probing the brown wire first with electricity (all CB) on. You have to be very careful here, since you're probably standing on a chair or ladder. You don't want to hold the wire and fall over.

Now, if you've confirm the brown wire is indeed LIVE, shut down electricity and cut both wire individually, with a nipper. Expose the copper wires end by peeling away about 1 cm of plastic insulator. Remove the old LED. Connect to the new LED module brown wire to brown wire, blue to blue. This looks like a push and release clip, you may test it first by using spare wire somewhere. The copper wire should be fully inserted into the plastic clip and NOT be exposed. And obviously make sure the new LED is for 220~240AV and not 12VDC or anything else. This should be printed on the label.

Put back everything, and test the light with fingers-crossed.

  • Praise 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
43 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

To any one who knows about electricity.

I want to change my LED ceiling light. So bought a new one.  Powerpac brand.  2nd pic

I opened up my old ceiling LED light and realised the wires are "built in" into the LED lamp.  See pic.  Can see that the light is burnt. Hence got to change.

How do I remove the wires from the old light SAFELY? 

 

Ceiling light 1.jpg

Ceiling light.jpg

That's not built in lah. that's just wrapped with a heat shrink wrapper.

You need to cut both your new and old wire.

Cuz the new one provide you with the clip unless you wanna modify your ceiling wire to the clip also then can poke.

if not can just cut both and stick tgt.

The LED no relay one meh? we running 230V leh.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

Another issue might be, does the mounting holes matched ?

Or you have to start drilling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged (edited)

ok. i managed to do it successfully.

cut wires off and connect to the new one.  

it's nice and bright! 36W.  

@kobayashiGTI not sure of the relay.  Nowadays, the LED lights are like this. 

 

Thanks @Watwheels

Edited by Jusnel
  • Praise 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
2 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Another issue might be, does the mounting holes matched ?

Or you have to start drilling.

stick by magnets.  As long as the ceiling base is metal, magnets will do. 

Another option is use double side tape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
8 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

That's not built in lah. that's just wrapped with a heat shrink wrapper.

You need to cut both your new and old wire.

Cuz the new one provide you with the clip unless you wanna modify your ceiling wire to the clip also then can poke.

if not can just cut both and stick tgt.

The LED no relay one meh? we running 230V leh.

230V. All good! 

New clip looks like spring loaded - so just insert the ceiling wires, good to go. 

Ps. Make sure someone else is around in case things go wrong. And he/she knows what to do. 

Screenshot_20200617_165741.thumb.jpg.27a795c2692429ba6884e36d304e5e02.jpg

  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
2 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

230V. All good! 

New clip looks like spring loaded - so just insert the ceiling wires, good to go. 

Ps. Make sure someone else is around in case things go wrong. And he/she knows what to do. 

Screenshot_20200617_165741.thumb.jpg.27a795c2692429ba6884e36d304e5e02.jpg

this is the one i bought.  Local brand shld be trusted.  LOL

 

Ceiling light 3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
12 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

230V. All good! 

New clip looks like spring loaded - so just insert the ceiling wires, good to go. 

Ps. Make sure someone else is around in case things go wrong. And he/she knows what to do. 

Screenshot_20200617_165741.thumb.jpg.27a795c2692429ba6884e36d304e5e02.jpg

Like that you also can see. hahahah.  I cannot see anything man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
16 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

ok. i managed to do it successfully.

cut wires off and connect to the new one.  

it's nice and bright! 36W.  

@kobayashiGTI not sure of the relay.  Nowadays, the LED lights are like this. 

 

Thanks @Watwheels

My room the LED is the old kind so have the relay. hahaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear

Oh man.. i can feel all the love in mcf, so many forumners chipping in to help n advise 😍...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×