Accident with step ladder, safety concern

Kb27

I had a small accident with this cheapo aluminum ladder.

When I first step on it, the step broke off, 6 aluminum rivets are sheared off at the same time. Hurt my feet a little bit and marble floor suffered some chips.

Luckily I am not at the top of the steps when it decide to break. I had earlier replaced the top step rivets with bolts and nuts, but the bottom step caught me off-guard.

So if you have this kind of ladder, better have a second look, or maybe throw it away  for own safety.

Granted the ladder was quite old, I didn't use it much, the rivets may have corroded away. But I'd rather have a step ladder that doesn't do this.

ladd1.jpg

ladd2.jpg

ladd3.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 8
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

12 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Where did you buy it?

I thinking of getting one for my MIL.

:grin:

I think Kb27 will be very willing to sell you his. For a good price. That's what friends are for! 

• Haha! 4

This type of ladder quite common, many people should have one at home. Lucky you dont have major injury. Have to check our ladder from time to time.

Edited by 13177

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

When I first step on it, the step broke off, 6 aluminum rivets are sheared off at the same time. Hurt my feet a little bit and marble floor suffered some chips.

Luckily I am not at the top of the steps when it decide to break. I had earlier replaced the top step rivets with bolts and nuts, but the bottom step caught me off-guard.

So if you have this kind of ladder, better have a second look, or maybe throw it away  for own safety.

Granted the ladder was quite old, I didn't use it much, the rivets may have corroded away. But I'd rather have a step ladder that doesn't do this.

ladd1.jpg

ladd2.jpg

ladd3.jpg

On a side note. I thought u aren't supposed to step on the top step for this ladder? 

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

On a side note. I thought u aren't supposed to step on the top step for this ladder? 

Strictly speaking No. But I had done it before.

Should  have bought this type.

image.thumb.png.52a14dd725bde9669ef5252a4a487463.png

Edited by Fitvip

2 hours ago, Kb27 said:

ladd1.jpg

ladd2.jpg

ladd3.jpg

Buy the more modern type of step ladders.  V heavy but v stable. 

3 hours ago, Kb27 said:

ladd2.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Lucky you are fine.

Actually there is a lot more to the safe use of ladder. The following are some do's and dont's for all users to take note. 

BAN483-MD__81155.1560450172.jpg?c=2

6a00e553697a6a883401b8d295411d970c-pi

Ladder-Safety-Month-2017.jpg

• Praise 16

Can still surf mean he is still ok.

Count your blessings did not use it near window to hang curtain.

Must be positive.

By the way what is your BMI?😄

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Kb27 said:

ladd1.jpg

ladd2.jpg

ladd3.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Hope you are OK now.  I better check mine. But I notice the steps on your ladder are deformed, did any heavy weight step on it before? Or has it been used very frequently? Especially with safety shoes on it?  

• Praise 1