2022 Kia EV6

Carbon82

(edited)
32 minutes ago, villan said:

its time based charging...so if you dont want to move your car after charging then you just have to pay more for nothing...

Are all time-based? That day ST ran an article which showed that most seem to be charged based per kw... and once the battery is full, it will stop taking in charge... so the charging will stop? Why would I want to use a time based charger if my car doesn't have super fast charging? Take the same charge but pay more cos it took longer? 

The charging method and power and locations listed here:

https://static.straitstimes.com.sg/s3fs-public/210619_ev_charging_points_-_24.7cm_-_edit_18_june.pdf

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement

If the premise for having charging clusters so that drivers will park and wait in the car while charging, then it would be a total failure. Cos while the guy is waiting for his car to be charged in front of me, I have to wait for his car to be charged before it's my turn before I wait for my car to be charged... even with apps to indicate location and state of charge for those cars already plugged, there's no guarantee that the driver will be present to drive off, or that someone else isn't already waiting there... with so much uncertainty, why would I even want all that stress to own an EV?

9 minutes ago, teomingern said:

If the premise for having charging clusters so that drivers will park and wait in the car while charging, then it would be a total failure. Cos while the guy is waiting for his car to be charged in front of me, I have to wait for his car to be charged before it's my turn before I wait for my car to be charged... even with apps to indicate location and state of charge for those cars already plugged, there's no guarantee that the driver will be present to drive off, or that someone else isn't already waiting there... with so much uncertainty, why would I even want all that stress to own an EV?

Yeap a "parking penalty" after car being fully charged. Could be easily $1 per min or something like that.  It works for public fast charging but might not for HDB. 

Charging in estates is still a challenging issue definitely. But then again we are using current tech thinking about the future.

With upcoming solid-state batteries and more advance charging systems, there is no saying charging an EV can't be as fast as pumping petrol. Our handheld devices that everyone is using now don't even exist 10-15years ago. So I guess never doubt us humans. 

One thing everyone would agree on though is that the rate of building the charging stations in SG iss still too slow and Covid situation is not helping either.

• Praise 2

Im sure there will also be some CBK who charged full liao plug out, but leave the car parked there. or park there and not charging, especially ICE car.

of cos there will be fine, but doesnt really help much.

Many have lamented the lack of charging infrastructure especially in HDB, which is often cited as an impediment towards adoption of EVs. I’m not sure though the Govt actually intends for the masses to adopt EVs. The primary goal (I think) is to substantially cut car ownership. The narrative is still for “car lite”.

Those who can afford eg. stay landed property or higher end condos with fewer units, or a small minority in HDBs who cannot do without private cars, will be the customer base for EVs. Not the masses.

• Praise 1

On 7/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, Juzzme said:

Many have lamented the lack of charging infrastructure especially in HDB, which is often cited as an impediment towards adoption of EVs. I’m not sure though the Govt actually intends for the masses to adopt EVs. The primary goal (I think) is to substantially cut car ownership. The narrative is still for “car lite”.

Those who can afford eg. stay landed property or higher end condos with fewer units, or a small minority in HDBs who cannot do without private cars, will be the customer base for EVs. Not the masses.

Perhaps... but politically very costly unless MRT is more widespread in it's reach. I think that may happen only after the TEL & JRL & CRL are totally up and running... by then really most of Singapore within 10 minutes of a MRT station... then there's no excuse to drive, so to speak except for some circumstances... but regardless, given how many charging points they are building, it doesn't seem like car ownership would be in the minority... otherwise, it would be hardly profitable to operate so many charging points island-wide...

• Praise 1

On 7/4/2021 at 4:29 PM, kelaihoyin said:

Yeap a "parking penalty" after car being fully charged. Could be easily $1 per min or something like that.  It works for public fast charging but might not for HDB. 

Charging in estates is still a challenging issue definitely. But then again we are using current tech thinking about the future.

With upcoming solid-state batteries and more advance charging systems, there is no saying charging an EV can't be as fast as pumping petrol. Our handheld devices that everyone is using now don't even exist 10-15years ago. So I guess never doubt us humans. 

One thing everyone would agree on though is that the rate of building the charging stations in SG iss still too slow and Covid situation is not helping either.

The penalty must be exorbitant enough to motivate the driver to move the car the moment the charging is done... otherwise, it doesn't solve the problem... some rich driver will just pay the extra $50 cos he decided he wanted to do something else... and you're waiting fruitlessly for that extra 50 min?

Since Ioniq 5 is in Singapore with the RHD version, and UK selling this EV6, likely we will see this in Singapore too.

Edited by Fellows

Neutral Newbie
4 hours ago, sHy3r said:

Question: Ioniq 5 or EV6? 

what’s your take?

I just watched a bunch of videos on these two cars, I will buy Ioniq 5. I loved the look of Ioniq 5, just dropped dead gorgeous.

• Praise 1

31 minutes ago, Car1990 said:

I just watched a bunch of videos on these two cars, I will buy Ioniq 5. I loved the look of Ioniq 5, just dropped dead gorgeous.

But sadly, Ioniq 5 don’t have the features that EV6 has…

4 minutes ago, Car1990 said:

What additional features are you referring to?

Usb C port. Rear seats push down from rear. Faster charging than ioniq 5… and a few more i think

Neutral Newbie
1 hour ago, sHy3r said:

Usb C port. Rear seats push down from rear. Faster charging than ioniq 5… and a few more i think

Only Porsche Taycan can charge as fast as Ioniq5, Singapore infrastructure still can’t support the fast charging anyway. The other stuffs you mentioned  are not important to me at all. I hardly ever charge my phone in the car and there is a wireless charging in the car anyway. As for push down rear seats, I need to do it maybe once every three years, lol.

Edited by Car1990

KIA EV6 first look while launching in Taiwan next year with their top spec being GT-Line with dual motor. 

Edited by Fellows
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2