Costs for changing rear lights

RachelKim

Hi everyone,

Would anyone be able to share roughly what are the costs in changing the rear light? I am looking for change my Mazda 3 rear lights to the led ones, and after enquiring from AD they don't seem to provide that service.

I am able to purchase the lights online (should be original) and looking for workshop to perform the service. Any idea how much should I expect? Also would it affect the warranty? (Assuming original Mazda part)

photo_2021-05-16 17.49.22.jpeg

photo_2021-05-16 17.49.25.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
2 hours ago, RachelKim said:

Hi everyone,

Would anyone be able to share roughly what are the costs in changing the rear light? I am looking for change my Mazda 3 rear lights to the led ones, and after enquiring from AD they don't seem to provide that service.

I am able to purchase the lights online (should be original) and looking for workshop to perform the service. Any idea how much should I expect? Also would it affect the warranty? (Assuming original Mazda part)

I don't think it takes  more than 4 screws per light assembly, more likely less,  just figure out how to replace it yourself. If outside workshop, should be less than $100. It is not complex, so it is not about the labor but the service   they are providing . 

• Praise 2

(edited)

If you buy the original OEM led lamp from mazda, you may have luck passing it off as original in inspection centres. Some close one eye as long as it's does not look obvious aftermarket part.

Check with the workshop first whether the electrical socket for the LED and bulb tail lamps are the same. if yes, its pretty much screws and plug and play (DIY-able), and you can also re-install the original one to pass inspection down the road. If the writing is different, you may need to engage your workshop to discuss about the effort to swap back. 

The scare about fines are overrated actually. I am running retrofitted led low beam for more than 2 years without any fines even with TP riding in front of me.

Edited by Ceecookie

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, RachelKim said:

Hi everyone,

The tail light at the lower photo is called Mazda Signature LED taillight.
I think JDM Auotcare retrofit many Mazdas you may check up with them.
But this car very new in SG so parts and items may not be available yet.

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

The tail light at the lower photo is called Mazda Signature LED taillight.
I think JDM Auotcare retrofit many Mazdas you may check up with them.
But this car very new in SG so parts and items may not be available yet.

Yes you are right, they are the official Mazda Signature LED taillight that comes with higher end trim. I forgot to clarify on that. In this case would it still be legal? Considering that it is an official part that is available on the same series of car.

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

I don't think it takes  more than 4 screws per light assembly, more likely less,  just figure out how to replace it yourself. If outside workshop, should be less than $100. It is not complex, so it is not about the labor but the service   they are providing . 

I found a video on youtube on a DIY service, but i see that there are some section that requires waterproofing. So don't really dare to do myself haha, $100 is a fair cost to me, was thinking if this will void any dealer warrantly.

Turbocharged
19 minutes ago, RachelKim said:

Yes you are right, they are the official Mazda Signature LED taillight that comes with higher end trim. I forgot to clarify on that. In this case would it still be legal? Considering that it is an official part that is available on the same series of car.

I think change tail light to another officially installed variant is legal, lierally just like changing your Mazda 3 rims of one design to another Mazda rim of another design as long as the fitment parameters are the same.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
4 hours ago, RachelKim said:

Hi everyone,

Ahhh! I saw ebay got sell  ... But it's better you get it locally..

Examples:-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254930546861?hash=item3b5b0b70ad:g:ASIAAOSwOYZga9K5

Supersonic

It depends on how complicated. If it's fully swappable, then it's only probably 4 screws, pull out and plug in.

The wire harness if exactly the same, then it's plug and play. Otherwise lots of work to rewire/cut connectors to fit. No workshop would want to do this, or it's going to be costly.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

It depends on how complicated. If it's fully swappable, then it's only probably 4 screws, pull out and plug in.

The wire harness if exactly the same, then it's plug and play. Otherwise lots of work to rewire/cut connectors to fit. No workshop would want to do this, or it's going to be costly.

If mazda should be easy

conti will be harder to replace as might not compatible with system or might have error code

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

If is from Original Mazda Factory, LTA cannot fault you. They fault you means they fault Mazda Japan. So their stuff not road legal. 🤣

• Haha! 1

9 hours ago, RachelKim said:

I found a video on youtube on a DIY service, but i see that there are some section that requires waterproofing. So don't really dare to do myself haha, $100 is a fair cost to me, was thinking if this will void any dealer warrantly.

I change my taillights of my forester on my own (before and after inspection) as the screws on mine are easily accessible. The lights assembly should be already water proofed so i dont think you need to do more during installation.

your maz3 seems abit more complicated but if you can try if you have the tools. As there are 4 lights assembly, i think the cost might go beyond 100 dollars. if you change the lights only,  warranty for lights will be voided but shouldn't affect the rest of the vehicle. The lights should pass inspection since its original parts. i know some people here experience failing with original parts due to manufacturing year like facelift lights fitted on a pre facelift model. But i think those inspectors are just being anal. 

Turbocharged
13 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Might fail inspection.... 

I think LTA inspection can pass if the new taillight still show red light when running, brighter red light when applied brake, orange light can blink orange when signalling and reverse light can show white when engaged reverse gear. 

↡ Advertisement