Jump to content
Butterss

Help choose SUV tyres!

Recommended Posts

2nd Gear

I'm driving a Mazda CX-8 (6 seater) on stock 225/55/R19.

Thinking to change tyres soon at AD because I have some vouchers to offset the cost but they only have Yokohama RV02 and Bridgestone Alenza.

Need some feedback on which one should I go for.

My criteria (in order of priority):
1. Quietness
2. Comfort
3. I don't need super grippy tyres but standard decent grip is fine.

Thank you everyone in advance!

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1st Gear

RV02 is more quiet and comfort than Alenza.

But Alenza grip in the wet is better.

Based on 2017 Forest XT 225/55/R18.

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)

Change tires at AD? They mark up so high.

I recent did my servicing at AD as well cos of the free servicing that came with the car. I ask them how much for a set of Primacy 4 the SA quoted me $1.2K(even told me it is after discount), I think it is before gst. They are R18 btw. I ask my regular tire supplier he quoted me $220/ea or $880/set, he got no gst. What a big difference.

I suggest you ask around for quote. AD mark up is so high even after discount or whatever coupons you have it is so much more premium over outside tire supplier.

In the end I got the PS4 SUV. $240/ea, no gst.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
18 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Change tires at AD? They mark up so high.

I recent did my servicing at AD as well cos of the free servicing that came with the car. I ask them how much for a set of Primacy 4 the SA quoted me $1.2K(even told me it is after discount), I think it is before gst. They are R18 btw. I ask my regular tire supplier he quoted me $220/ea or $880/set, he got no gst. What a big difference.

I suggest you ask around for quote. AD mark up is so high even after discount or whatever coupons you have it is so much more premium over outside tire supplier.

In the end I got the PS4 SUV. $240/ea, no gst.

Yah change tyres at AD is really asking to be chopped. They usually sell at near double outside price.

Got a friend replaced a single 18" Pirelli tyre for BMW at PML due to accidental road damage.... final bill was 600+

Think that tyre buy outside probably around 200 bucks.

  • Praise 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear
7 hours ago, Butterss said:

I'm driving a Mazda CX-8 (6 seater) on stock 225/55/R19.

Thinking to change tyres soon at AD because I have some vouchers to offset the cost but they only have Yokohama RV02 and Bridgestone Alenza.

Need some feedback on which one should I go for.

My criteria (in order of priority):
1. Quietness
2. Comfort
3. I don't need super grippy tyres but standard decent grip is fine.

Thank you everyone in advance!

What is the brand and model of the stock tyres that are fitted to the vehicle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd Gear
1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Change tires at AD? They mark up so high.

I recent did my servicing at AD as well cos of the free servicing that came with the car. I ask them how much for a set of Primacy 4 the SA quoted me $1.2K(even told me it is after discount), I think it is before gst. They are R18 btw. I ask my regular tire supplier he quoted me $220/ea or $880/set, he got no gst. What a big difference.

I suggest you ask around for quote. AD mark up is so high even after discount or whatever coupons you have it is so much more premium over outside tire supplier.

In the end I got the PS4 SUV. $240/ea, no gst.

Yah... I know they mark up a lot but my vouchers value is significant. Thanks for your advice.

Any feedback about Yokohama RV02 and Bridgestone Alenza?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2nd Gear
8 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

What is the brand and model of the stock tyres that are fitted to the vehicle?

Toyo Proxes R46, made in Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear
5 minutes ago, Butterss said:

Toyo Proxes R46, made in Japan.

You feel that this tyre not good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2nd Gear
3 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

You feel that this tyre not good?

This tyre is ok but with my vouchers expiring within next few months and my tyres have clocked 20k+ km mileage, I was thinking to change them.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
13 minutes ago, Butterss said:

Yah... I know they mark up a lot but my vouchers value is significant. Thanks for your advice.

Any feedback about Yokohama RV02 and Bridgestone Alenza?

 

When I first use Alenza it is very noisy. Back then these are stock tires that came with the car. I tried to vary the tire pressure but still noisy.

I ask my tire supplier he said have to wait for it to "run in"  then it will quiet down. I was like why tire need to run in. Shouldnt new tires be quiet to run? True enough after a while of using the tires quiet down.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear

I find it ironic that some ADs don't carry or stock-up the exact brand and model of tyres that are factory-fitted to their vehicles, 

If let say my vehicle is involved in an accident and sent to AD workshop for repairs, and a tyre needs to be replaced. Then the AD workshop will have to replace at least both tyres on that axle with another brand and model.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear
8 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

When I first use Alenza it is very noisy. Back then these are stock tires that came with the car. I tried to vary the tire pressure but still noisy.

I ask my tire supplier he said have to wait for it to "run in"  then it will quiet down. I was like why tire need to run in. Shouldnt new tires be quiet to run? True enough after a while of using the tires quiet down.

How long is the run-in distance for that tyre?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

 

Just now, DOBIEMKZ said:

How long is the run-in distance for that tyre?

Idk. Maybe 5K km? It is depending on how you drive as well. It is noisy at higher speeds like 80km/hr and above.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

frankly to run in normally would take no more than 300km.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
1 hour ago, t0y0ta said:

Yah change tyres at AD is really asking to be chopped. They usually sell at near double outside price.

Got a friend replaced a single 18" Pirelli tyre for BMW at PML due to accidental road damage.... final bill was 600+

Think that tyre buy outside probably around 200 bucks.

For RFT, unlikely to be 200 buck for 18".

Should be around 400 buck

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
39 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

When I first use Alenza it is very noisy. Back then these are stock tires that came with the car. I tried to vary the tire pressure but still noisy.

I ask my tire supplier he said have to wait for it to "run in"  then it will quiet down. I was like why tire need to run in. Shouldnt new tires be quiet to run? True enough after a while of using the tires quiet down.

Hmmm. Is the Stock Alenza 001? Could it be Alenza Sport?

https://thetirelab.com/bridgestone-alenza-sport-all-season/

Cause my understanding is that the Alenza 001 is a replacement tyre for car owners looking for an upgrade from the stock tyre.

but the reasoning is lame lah. You buy new tyre, the tyre experience is instant one. Just the grip need to run in. cause usually the rubber have a layer of protection that will make it slippery. That's to prolong the shelf life of uninstalled tyres.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×