Class 4 Driving License

Hi everyone. It has been a week since I obtained my Class 4 driving licence. I would like to share my Class 4 learning journey if those who are keen to take up Class 4 driving licence.

Actually I tried to google as much as I can but without much information as not a lot of people willing to take Class 4/5. 

The last time I passed my Class 3 was Nov 2014. Was planning to take up Class 4 since 2016 but kept dragging until now. 

Anyway, back to main topic. When Jan 2022 starts, I decided to take up Class 4 as I don’t wish to procastinate any longer. 

The only driving centre to learn Class 4/5 is Singapore Safety Driving Centre (SSDC). There is another valid driving centre that also teach Class 4/5. The company is Pan Country Driving Centre (PCDC). 

When I reach SSDC on 25 Jan 2022, I was told that SSDC slots are full. Only left with PCDC. I was reluctant to take up PCDC because I know nothing about PCDC. Previously I took up my Class 3 driving practical lessons at SSDC, I find that the instructors are very nice and patience. But oh well. I just have to give it a shot and try PCDC. 

For Class 4/5, you have to pay everything upfront. For my Class 4 package, I paid a full lump sum of SGD 1,115.52 for 1 theory lesson, 5 practical lessons, 1 Traffic Police test (TP) and 1 rental fee of the Class 4 vehicle. Really regret didnt take up my Class 4 few years ago, as the pricing was less than SGD 1K.

So I managed to book the 5 practical lessons for the month of Feb 2022. The dates are 07, 16, 17, 18, 21 Feb 2022. 

The theory lesson basically is to attend and they will provide you a list of highway code with all the mandatory and warning road signs.

At the end of the TP test, the TP will test you on the road signs and you have to explain to them what are the road signs means and what to do when driving a heavy vehicles when you see these signs. Basically you have to memorise the road signs and it is requirement during your Class 4 TP test. 

Previously I already knew that there will be rope tying and height measurement. So I managed to find Youtube on how to perform the rope tying and memorise the technique. 

I managed to learn the technique fast and have no issue with the rope tying. As for height measurement, it is pretty straight forward. The instructor will guide you how to estimate it. I won’t go much details on it.

As for the 1st practical lesson, I mixed up the timing and came an hour late. But luckily the instructor managed to take me up for my lesson. It feels weird to drive the Class 4 vehicle because I don’t usually drive in Singapore. If I do, it will be usually in overseas. Mount kerb, strike kerb is pretty normal because I lack of driving experience. But overall, is quite fun to drive around the circuit and outside road.

Cut long story short, after completing the 5 practical lessons, it is time to take my Class 4 TP test which I booked on 03 Mar 2022, 245pm. This timing is a very good timing as the traffic should not be heavy because the lunch time is over.

Went for the TP test at 245pm. The lady at the front counter will inform you Test Vehicle Number. After that, I was brought to report to the vehicle and wait for the TP tester.

Tester came, asked to demostrate the rope tying. Checked, no issue. Height measurement also no issue. Hop the vehicle and start the engine as per instructed. The tester conduct a briefing on how the test will be conducted. 1 immediate failure (IF) or/and 20 demerit points accumulated deem to have fail the test. Acknowledge and was asked to turn left and move off.

1st station done was at Directional Change. No issue. Next station was at Parallel Parking. No issue. Next station was at Crank Course. Came out wide turning. Turn left. Go straight and left turn bend. Strike curb when turning left. Immediate failure. Tester was quite disappointed but still allow me to did the rest of the circuit. No going outside public road. No issue with highway code.

Ended up 12 demerits points and 1 immediate failure. Was told that the driving was Ok. But because strike kerb, he cannot pass me. 

Went up to Level 3 and book a re-test on 26 Mar 2022 (Sat), 0915am. Was feeling quite disappointed though. Thank god was a Sat. Normal bus lane is not applicable. It is also required to book 1 practical lesson before the TP test. So I managed to book 1 lesson on 25 Mar 2022. The practical lesson didn’t went well though. Still strike kerb in Vertical Parking and a lot of test vehicles during my lesson. Didn’t have the chance to practice hard enough.

Came 26 Mar 2022. Woke up early and head straight to SSDC. Ate some breakfast at Woodlands Interchange. Reached SSDC around 8am plus. Waited until the lady at counter gather those taking TP test at 0915am. Same thing as the previous TP test. Reported to the test vehicle. That day, only 3 candidates including me. My tester came slightly late. I was the last to move off. The first 2 candidates move off first while I was waiting quite nervously for my tester.

Finally my tester came and verify my IC and face before commencing the test. Rope tying and height measurement went smoothly. Hop on the test vehicle and was brief by the TP tester. This tester seems very professional and I had never encounter such tester who really go an extra miles to ensure the test candidate knows what he or she is doing.

He conducted the briefing as per usual and ask me how do I check my blindspots. I demostrated to him and he acknowledged it. 

Thank goodness, the test vehicle was parked near to the slope and was instructed to do the slope first. So he instructed me to turn right when moving off. 

I was quite worried if he asked me to turn left because the previous test, I was asked to turn left and do some circuit tests and have to make half a round turn left to do slope. And I striked kerb during the left turning, as the turn is quite a tight corner for a Class 4 vehicle. I find that the slope location is quite away from the heavy vehicle circuit test. 

So I managed to perform the circuit pretty well except for Vertical Parking which I turned too early and require additional reverse movement. Other than that, not much issue in circuit. Went out the public road, perform U turn, Right Turn and Left Turn. Came back to driving centre. Went for the debrief room and was tested the highway verbal codes. Almost forgot one of the answer but managed to remember it. Tester show me the result. Passed with 18 points. Asked me to pass him my driving licence. Waited for 5 mins and came out hand me the driving licence and test checklist and told me that I passed. 18 points. The driving licence behind, he helped me paste the additional class of driving licence. There is an updated version for Class 3 where one can drive Ambulances and Medical Transport Vehicles, which is cool. 

So I was quite happy that I managed to close this chapter of taking up Class 4 driving course after so long. Reason for taking up Class 4 because I wish to drive a campervans in overseas such as New Zealand or Australia. Not sure whether the campervans unladen weight is how heavy so is better to take up Class 4 just in case.

I was thinking whether to take up Class 5 but shall see how it goes. Meanwhile, take care everyone.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 23

6 hours ago, ScottyWittyKow said:

Hi everyone. It has been a week since I obtained my Class 4 driving licence. I would like to share my Class 4 learning journey if those who are keen to take up Class 4 driving licence.

Actually I tried to google as much as I can but without much information as not a lot of people willing to take Class 4/5. 

The last time I passed my Class 3 was Nov 2014. Was planning to take up Class 4 since 2016 but kept dragging until now. 

Anyway, back to main topic. When Jan 2022 starts, I decided to take up Class 4 as I don’t wish to procastinate any longer. 

The only driving centre to learn Class 4/5 is Singapore Safety Driving Centre (SSDC). There is another valid driving centre that also teach Class 4/5. The company is Pan Country Driving Centre (PCDC). 

When I reach SSDC on 25 Jan 2022, I was told that SSDC slots are full. Only left with PCDC. I was reluctant to take up PCDC because I know nothing about PCDC. Previously I took up my Class 3 driving practical lessons at SSDC, I find that the instructors are very nice and patience. But oh well. I just have to give it a shot and try PCDC. 

For Class 4/5, you have to pay everything upfront. For my Class 4 package, I paid a full lump sum of SGD 1,115.52 for 1 theory lesson, 5 practical lessons, 1 Traffic Police test (TP) and 1 rental fee of the Class 4 vehicle. Really regret didnt take up my Class 4 few years ago, as the pricing was less than SGD 1K.

So I managed to book the 5 practical lessons for the month of Feb 2022. The dates are 07, 16, 17, 18, 21 Feb 2022. 

The theory lesson basically is to attend and they will provide you a list of highway code with all the mandatory and warning road signs.

At the end of the TP test, the TP will test you on the road signs and you have to explain to them what are the road signs means and what to do when driving a heavy vehicles when you see these signs. Basically you have to memorise the road signs and it is requirement during your Class 4 TP test. 

Previously I already knew that there will be rope tying and height measurement. So I managed to find Youtube on how to perform the rope tying and memorise the technique. 

I managed to learn the technique fast and have no issue with the rope tying. As for height measurement, it is pretty straight forward. The instructor will guide you how to estimate it. I won’t go much details on it.

As for the 1st practical lesson, I mixed up the timing and came an hour late. But luckily the instructor managed to take me up for my lesson. It feels weird to drive the Class 4 vehicle because I don’t usually drive in Singapore. If I do, it will be usually in overseas. Mount kerb, strike kerb is pretty normal because I lack of driving experience. But overall, is quite fun to drive around the circuit and outside road.

Cut long story short, after completing the 5 practical lessons, it is time to take my Class 4 TP test which I booked on 03 Mar 2022, 245pm. This timing is a very good timing as the traffic should not be heavy because the lunch time is over.

Went for the TP test at 245pm. The lady at the front counter will inform you Test Vehicle Number. After that, I was brought to report to the vehicle and wait for the TP tester.

Tester came, asked to demostrate the rope tying. Checked, no issue. Height measurement also no issue. Hop the vehicle and start the engine as per instructed. The tester conduct a briefing on how the test will be conducted. 1 immediate failure (IF) or/and 20 demerit points accumulated deem to have fail the test. Acknowledge and was asked to turn left and move off.

1st station done was at Directional Change. No issue. Next station was at Parallel Parking. No issue. Next station was at Crank Course. Came out wide turning. Turn left. Go straight and left turn bend. Strike curb when turning left. Immediate failure. Tester was quite disappointed but still allow me to did the rest of the circuit. No going outside public road. No issue with highway code.

Ended up 12 demerits points and 1 immediate failure. Was told that the driving was Ok. But because strike kerb, he cannot pass me. 

Went up to Level 3 and book a re-test on 26 Mar 2022 (Sat), 0915am. Was feeling quite disappointed though. Thank god was a Sat. Normal bus lane is not applicable. It is also required to book 1 practical lesson before the TP test. So I managed to book 1 lesson on 25 Mar 2022. The practical lesson didn’t went well though. Still strike kerb in Vertical Parking and a lot of test vehicles during my lesson. Didn’t have the chance to practice hard enough.

Came 26 Mar 2022. Woke up early and head straight to SSDC. Ate some breakfast at Woodlands Interchange. Reached SSDC around 8am plus. Waited until the lady at counter gather those taking TP test at 0915am. Same thing as the previous TP test. Reported to the test vehicle. That day, only 3 candidates including me. My tester came slightly late. I was the last to move off. The first 2 candidates move off first while I was waiting quite nervously for my tester.

Finally my tester came and verify my IC and face before commencing the test. Rope tying and height measurement went smoothly. Hop on the test vehicle and was brief by the TP tester. This tester seems very professional and I had never encounter such tester who really go an extra miles to ensure the test candidate knows what he or she is doing.

He conducted the briefing as per usual and ask me how do I check my blindspots. I demostrated to him and he acknowledged it. 

Thank goodness, the test vehicle was parked near to the slope and was instructed to do the slope first. So he instructed me to turn right when moving off. 

I was quite worried if he asked me to turn left because the previous test, I was asked to turn left and do some circuit tests and have to make half a round turn left to do slope. And I striked kerb during the left turning, as the turn is quite a tight corner for a Class 4 vehicle. I find that the slope location is quite away from the heavy vehicle circuit test. 

So I managed to perform the circuit pretty well except for Vertical Parking which I turned too early and require additional reverse movement. Other than that, not much issue in circuit. Went out the public road, perform U turn, Right Turn and Left Turn. Came back to driving centre. Went for the debrief room and was tested the highway verbal codes. Almost forgot one of the answer but managed to remember it. Tester show me the result. Passed with 18 points. Asked me to pass him my driving licence. Waited for 5 mins and came out hand me the driving licence and test checklist and told me that I passed. 18 points. The driving licence behind, he helped me paste the additional class of driving licence. There is an updated version for Class 3 where one can drive Ambulances and Medical Transport Vehicles, which is cool. 

So I was quite happy that I managed to close this chapter of taking up Class 4 driving course after so long. Reason for taking up Class 4 because I wish to drive a campervans in overseas such as New Zealand or Australia. Not sure whether the campervans unladen weight is how heavy so is better to take up Class 4 just in case.

I was thinking whether to take up Class 5 but shall see how it goes. Meanwhile, take care everyone.

Class 4 can drive G plate?

9 hours ago, ScottyWittyKow said:

Very nice write-up. 

@Turboflat4 Hi. Thanks a lot. Not very common to find Class 4 driving experiences in the Internet. So I decided to share my experiences for those who are keen to take up Class 4 driving course, so to ensure them what to expect when taking up such course. 

• Praise 5

(edited)
18 hours ago, ScottyWittyKow said:

below is the list of Highway Verbal Code to be memorise. Only memorise the signs will do.

No need memorise ‘Note’ about the company name of the auxiliary police etc..and also no need to memorise the secure load 30cm etc etc etc..ONLY the signs will do. When I went in the debrief room, the table has this list of highway signs. TP will random point and ask u explain those signs. 

There are demerits if you cannot explain clearly during the TP test. Same goes for Class 5. Same codes altogether.

92E7239B-F9FD-4EC5-91E4-640D174B8CF1.jpeg

EA9ADFB3-88BD-42C1-871B-E7366698728D.jpeg

Edited by ScottyWittyKow
  • Praise 2

@Hamburger In the 90s, the course fee was few hundreds bucks. Now it costs more than a grand. Shocking. 

Those times still can take Class 4/5 as a package. Now no more liao. 

If still have such package now, I will consider to take up.

Saw somewhere in other forum, Class 5 need double de-clutching or something. Don’t know why is that necessary. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Actually if you drive overseas I don't think they really care whether Class 3 or 4? Anyway campervans are mostly car-based so Class 3 should be sufficient.

But good to pick up a new skill though. 👍

• Praise 1

I have held my class 4 license for donkey years. When my age caught up, I was required to undergo medical exam plus ecg etc.In addition I was required to rent a class 4 vehicle for practical test! I thought what the heck, I did exactly the opposite!

I went to Ubi TP HQ to surrender the Class 4 license!

Similarly, I gave up my taxi license earlier because of the hassle of the annual medical exam for renewal!

1 hour ago, ScottyWittyKow said:

@Hamburger In the 90s, the course fee was few hundreds bucks. Now it costs more than a grand. Shocking. 

Those times still can take Class 4/5 as a package. Now no more liao. 

If still have such package now, I will consider to take up.

Saw somewhere in other forum, Class 5 need double de-clutching or something. Don’t know why is that necessary. 🤷🏼‍♂️

My time class 5 was  mainly for kato crane. 

Did not see myself haning around too much, hence did not take up

Twincharged
On 4/1/2022 at 11:32 PM, ScottyWittyKow said:

@Turboflat4 Hi. Thanks a lot. Not very common to find Class 4 driving experiences in the Internet. So I decided to share my experiences for those who are keen to take up Class 4 driving course, so to ensure them what to expect when taking up such course. 

Cannot use skills future to defray? 

(edited)

@Camrysfa Hi. Thank you for your compliment. I guess it should be 14 footer truck. Please refer to the attached picture. This truck is from PCDC. Pan Country Driving Centre.

AC5B81CE-CB27-4D08-99DB-A4A6DA53E588.jpeg

Edited by ScottyWittyKow
  • Praise 1

@Benarsenal Hi. Oh yes. You are right. Actually it doesn’t really matter because I believed whatever you want to rent a vehicle, be it Campervans, Caravans, Motor home etc.. All these vehicles classified under their unladen weights. Just in case, if you rent a vehicle exceed than 2,500kg, then the Class 4 licence will come in handy. Extra licence benefits in the long run.

• Praise 2

@Fitvip Yes ! I am aware of this issue. Age 65-69 have to pass an annual medical examination and proficiency driving test conducted by Traffic Police in order to renew their driving licence. $26 per test.

Age 70-74 have to pass an annual enhanced medical examination and proficiency driving test conducted by Traffic Police in order to renew their driving licence. $26 per test.

This is crap man. But the licence stated ‘Lifetime’ though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha! 1