[Awareness] Misleading Car Advertisements

Carbon82

Supersonic
37 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Now that you mentioned it, I go click on the link that Carbon82 provided. The white Volvo S60 was clearly under Wearnes Pre-Owned. 

https://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?DL=2038&ID=1075337

I'm also confused. Maybe the SE which Carbon82 was talking to also blur, mistaken the $199,999 offer as this exact unit of white S60, which was effectively a used car. 

I test drove this car in late Jan b4 it was eventually registered 

Tbh, it's quite a good drive. Punchy engine, well spec and nice feel overall

But I'm still recovering from PTSD from my past wowo experience so my psychiatrist advise me to stay away and continue w my medication 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 11

13 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

GPGT. I follow up with call to this SE for further confirmation after seeing the WA replies. 

kWjGCxR.jpg

@kobayashiGT @BabyBlade Wearnes management is reading and monitoring this thread. So MCF is indeed the largest and most famous motoring forum in Singapore, and some even said JB and Batam. :D:D

Within about 15 minutes after I posted the above screenshot this morning, my SE called me to try explaining that he made a mistake when responding to my query over the phone over the weekend. He was not informed by the management that they had allocated a few units of S60 for the flash sales but on non-guarantee package, must take loan and trade-in used car with them.

After some further explanation, and before I end the call, my guess turn out to be correct, it is about damage control. He asked if I could take down the post I have made on the forum! :D:D:D

And this is my exact response: "Once again, I would like to emphasize that I have nothing against Wearnes or yourself. The posts I made is targeting at the bad industry practice."

I promise I will post the clarification on the forum and I have fulfilled my promise. The rest is for all reader to judge for themselves. [:)]

I rest my case. 

• Praise 20
  • Haha! 4

21 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Yes i went to see S90 last month for 189999k

thought its brand new

No its mgmt car and i will be second owner. Really bluff ppl

The S80 and XC90 were all the while advertised as Management car leh. 

https://www.volvocars.com/sg/cars/volvo-management-cars

13 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

not even effective price?

You go and try lor. Just ask the SE about the Tarraco and they will show you the list and start selling that it is Brand new car, not driven, come with full 5 years warranty, blah blah blah. But to me, as long as that is a VRN on the car, it is a used car and depreciation will be different. No 2 way out. 

13 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Vertex I know of one guy is not trustworthy. Dunno still there or not. LoL...

I believe it is a tactic to get ppl to go to their showroom.

I know who you are referring to. He left Vertex about 3 years ago. 

10 hours ago, Lotr said:

I remembered Volvo had a buy 1 get 1 free promo a few years back. Heard that the free cars are actually cars that others trade in

Yes, I also remember the publicity stun which attracted quite some negative feedback. Not only the free car are used car from customers trading in their ride, but you cannot chose which one you want. My friend walk away from the deal after been told the T&Cs. 

10 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

lol that's kinda shit....

i usually go down knowing exactly what model i want and the cost elsewhere.

I bought quite a few appliances from Audio House previously. The trick is to know exactly what you want and not be influenced by the SE. Just walk in when I am around any of their outlets, see the item I want, nego and pay. 

But I am against their promo tagging the sales price with 4D results or something like that.

6 hours ago, SGCM928 said:

Yes both advertisement look misleading to me. The promotion is under new car section, of course reader would take it for new car. If I am not wrong, Wearnes have a used car arm and such advertisement should rightfully come under Wearnes Pre-owned. 

For Vertex, the 2 prices shown for the 2 trim of Tarraco odd to be for new cars, and I see no ambiguity at all. @Carbon82 you might have a case with CASE if you goes by the consumer protection act. Maybe you can also consider writing in to Straits Times forum to garner more attention towards such despicable practices in the industry. Jia you! 

Write to ST forum? You have not hear my story about carpark issue which escalated to MP level once I post on MCF, after ST and the other papers refused to publish my letter. 

After the full post with photos and I think videos, 早报,晚报 & 新民 all wanted to interview me and my neighbour. :D

32 minutes ago, DrAwkward said:

@Carbon82 Ask for 1 free car then you take down the post

If I really did that, I am no different from the ADs, isn't it?

• Praise 15

@Carbon82 

Put my car in for service a couple weeks’ back, it would take around 6 hours so I went strolling around the other showrooms nearby.

Even the mainstream brands like Toyota and Honda had no customers. 

It’s little wonder that niche/premium/low volume brands need to try weasel words like these to draw people into their showroom.

1 hour ago, Macrosszero said:

@Carbon82 

Put my car in for service a couple weeks’ back, it would take around 6 hours so I went strolling around the other showrooms nearby.

Even the mainstream brands like Toyota and Honda had no customers. 

It’s little wonder that niche/premium/low volume brands need to try weasel words like these to draw people into their showroom.

then why coe so high?

• Haha! 1

17 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Let don't just focus on Volvo / Wearnes. The advertisement by Vertex is outright deceiving to say the least. $164,999 & $171,499 are clearly indicated on sgcarmart new car page, no room for any form of "justification". 

d39ygCh.png

When my friend and I were at the showroom, the price list available at the show room does not reflect $164,999 or $171,499 but something else. 

What did the price list at the showroom indicate? Did you show them this SGCM page to clarify?

TBH Vertex seems a bit fly-by-night, like PI.

9 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

@kobayashiGT @BabyBlade Wearnes management is reading and monitoring this thread. So MCF is indeed the largest and most famous motoring forum in Singapore, and some even said JB and Batam. :D:D

Within about 15 minutes after I posted the above screenshot this morning, my SE called me to try explaining that he made a mistake when responding to my query over the phone over the weekend. He was not informed by the management that they had allocated a few units of S60 for the flash sales but on non-guarantee package, must take loan and trade-in used car with them.

After some further explanation, and before I end the call, my guess turn out to be correct, it is about damage control. He asked if I could take down the post I have made on the forum! :D:D:D

And this is my exact response: "Once again, I would like to emphasize that I have nothing against Wearnes or yourself. The posts I made is targeting at the bad industry practice."

I promise I will post the clarification on the forum and I have fulfilled my promise. The rest is for all reader to judge for themselves. [:)]

I rest my case. 

Think this SE who fed you wrong info that it's for a registered S60 will kanna big time from management 😅😂

22 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Think this SE who fed you wrong info that it's for a registered S60 will kanna big time from management 😅😂

SE is small fry . Who will management answer to 🤨

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

then why coe so high?

In talking to the SE I wondered if the crowds were over at higher end brands like Audi/BMW/Lexus/Mercedes but he said things were equally slow over there, and it was vehicle leasing companies who were snapping up the COE. What they wanted with so many COEs for, I don’t know though

• Praise 2

13 hours ago, Soya said:

I test drove this car in late Jan b4 it was eventually registered 

Tbh, it's quite a good drive. Punchy engine, well spec and nice feel overall

But I'm still recovering from PTSD from my past wowo experience so my psychiatrist advise me to stay away and continue w my medication 

I'm sure mopiko was prescribed to stop itch 😁

• Haha! 1

13 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I rest my case. 

Hahaha I can only think of these! 

T002R300x300M000001jzhs62j2EfK_1.jpg?max

ff4f-fyqincv2518311.jpg

f4383071cb07433cbb1f3d876e6c915a_th.jpg

Thanks for sharing. It is loud and clear to me who is the liar here.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

In talking to the SE I wondered if the crowds were over at higher end brands like Audi/BMW/Lexus/Mercedes but he said things were equally slow over there, and it was vehicle leasing companies who were snapping up the COE. What they wanted with so many COEs for, I don’t know though

Maybe leasing is a profitable business to those companies and also enticing to the customers who want to swap cars every few years. Maybe also because more MNCs and companies lease vehicles for expats as more are coming in....

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

From the layout of the advert and the sentence, general consumers would also be misled to think that the price of $199,999 also applies to the V60 CC model! 😕image.thumb.png.ea7743bd4ca22a286d9dc5263f78d4c3.png

• Praise 2

Supersonic
5 hours ago, mersaylee said:

I'm sure mopiko was prescribed to stop itch 😁

Applied 3 times a day after food

Seems cured that's why dare venture back mah

• Haha! 2

11 minutes ago, Soya said:

Applied 3 times a day after food

Seems cured that's why dare venture back mah

If you tink those days were bad...you'll be better off staying clear...no more "it's normal"...but "there's a charge to..." on every single thing...then cum this "it's liddat one, same on other cars" 😅

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
3 hours ago, mersaylee said:

If you tink those days were bad...you'll be better off staying clear...no more "it's normal"...but "there's a charge to..." on every single thing...then cum this "it's liddat one, same on other cars" 😅

Heng I listen to my psychiatrist 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2