Companies in Singapore must verify educational qualifications of Employment Pass applicants from Sep 1

SGMCF328

Turbocharged
(edited)

With this new rule, will there be no more "diploma" from Uptron ACL or "degree" from Manav Bharti University? A good move by MOM nevertheless. 

Employers will have to submit third-party verification proof for applicants with diploma-level qualifications and above

Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/employment-pass-foreign-workers-verify-education-qualifications-tan-see-leng-3312921

SINGAPORE: Companies that want to hire foreigners on an Employment Pass (EP) from Sep 1 will have to ensure their educational qualifications are authentic.

Employers will have to submit third-party verification proof for applicants with diploma-level qualifications and above, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) said.

"Today, employers are already responsible for ensuring the authenticity of their candidate’s qualifications before hiring," Manpower Minister Tan See Leng said in Parliament on Wednesday (Mar 1).

Mandatory verification will "safeguard against gaming by submitting fraudulent educational qualifications", he said during his ministry’s Committee of Supply debate.

Last October, a man was sentenced to seven weeks' jail after making false statements in his declaration for an EP. His EP was approved based on the false statements that were made in February 2019.

In 2021, MOM investigated 23 foreigners who had declared qualifications from Manav Bharti University in India. Two people were jailed for submitting false qualifications in their work pass applications, while 19 were permanently barred from working in Singapore.

The probe in Singapore began after MOM was alerted that India's government was investigating the university for selling fake degrees. 

The verification requirement will be enforced through the Complementarity Assessment Framework (COMPASS), which was announced last year and takes effect in September for new applications. For EP renewal applications, the requirement comes into effect in September 2024.

Edited by SGMCF328
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9
  • Haha! 1

Soon there will be a gov linked agency setting up as 3rd party verification center and charge a fee for issuing COE - Certification Of Employment. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 9

my friend asking the department doing verification from same village bo 🙈🙉🙊 

wayang to the maximum😝😝😝

mediacorpse FTW 🤪🤪🤪

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Supercharged

Knn … isn’t this what every proper company HR should do in the first place ? Singapore really becoming a nanny state lo … this kind of basic due diligence also need MOM to  mandate it …

• Praise 7
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
On 3/1/2023 at 8:37 PM, Hubwee said:

Knn … isn’t this what every proper company HR should do in the first place ? Singapore really becoming a nanny state lo … this kind of basic due diligence also need MOM to  mandate it …

Because in some companies the HR also kena taken over..... by "villagers".

Then again, I don't see how this 3rd party company is going to be effective if they are only based here. Essentially they must have some staff on the ground in some representative countries in order to conduct proper verification. Which means it is likely going to be a "village" company, which means how reliable is it going to be?

• Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
On 3/1/2023 at 10:43 PM, Sosaria said:

Then again, I don't see how this 3rd party company is going to be effective if they are only based here. Essentially they must have some staff on the ground in some representative countries in order to conduct proper verification. Which means it is likely going to be a "village" company, which means how reliable is it going to be?

So it’s another wayang move by MOM lo … to show the public that they have already done what they needed to do … so peasants please dun kpkb in the future …

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

On 3/1/2023 at 10:43 PM, Sosaria said:

The companies I've worked in mostly requires an offshore 3rd party to verify my credentials. Usually it takes up to a month.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I feel this is the job of MOM. Who issue this pass? Just like any other applications processing, you accept anything submitted or you seek verification? They paid a fee, if not enough, charge more. Company says verified, MOM accept?

On 3/2/2023 at 8:40 AM, Victor68 said:

I feel this is the job of MOM. Who issue this pass? Just like any other applications processing, you accept anything submitted or you seek verification? They paid a fee, if not enough, charge more. Company says verified, MOM accept?

As the hiring party, shouldn’t the Company do a proper check before issuance of offer letter?
Since Company said yes, Company should take the responsibility especially CHRO.

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 3/2/2023 at 8:43 AM, inlinesix said:

As the hiring party, shouldn’t the Company do a proper check before issuance of offer letter?
Since Company said yes, Company should take the responsibility especially CHRO.

Why do we have such 'villager' employment issue here? Aren't this due to self check problems? There are plenty of ways to overcome employing locals and for obvious reasons their own nationality. 

Why do we want to issue passes if their own check suffice? Open leg big big better.

Just to add, why doctors and lawyers we need to check which uni they came from?

Edited by Victor68
  • Haha! 2

When I joined a US MNC 15 yrs ago they were already using a 3rd party agency for background checks and validation. The scope includes not only local education papers but also any certifications issued by foreign universities, industry institutions, etc. Took 1-2 mths for the whole process.

Seems like this issue is more prominent for ppl from South Asia as compared to Middle Kingdom?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4