Honda civic FD4 gearbox issue

Nemesis_lane

My honda civic FD4 gear box occasionally engage the reverse gear is difficult. The car will do a big jump into reverse.

Anyone encountered this B4? Hoping to avoid a big overhaul job. 

Edited by Nemesis_lane
Spelling
↡ Advertisement

On 4/24/2023 at 10:14 PM, Nemesis_lane said:

My honda civic FD4 gear box occasionally engage the reverse gear is difficult. The car will do a big jump into reverse.

Anyone encountered this B4? Hoping to avoid a big overhaul job. 

likely autotransmission issues, need to service the gearbox. FD4 is more than 10 years, about time for gearbox overhaul.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Change fluid and filter . Is the cheapest give it shot way. Else need to rebuild. 
unless you are the 1st or 2nd owner. I won’t bother to ask about the mileage as likely it is adjusted. Thus not a fair indication of the use

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator

is a 5 speed auto, if the car still left more than 2 years, it is worthwhile to do an overhaul lah. 

think of it this way. you see the current COE price and the repair bill. you choose your own poison. hahaha

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
On 4/25/2023 at 9:07 AM, Nemesis_lane said:

@kobayashiGT that is a good way of looking at it. Seems like overhaul of the gear box is the only way to go. 😂

I am sure it is the wiser choice among the 2 I have shared. 😂

Plus the FD have a everlasting look. The car still look modern thou. hahaha. VTEC kick in yo. 

Try changing the atf and use Amsoil ATF to see if can reduce the jerking. And warm up your car for a few mins before moving up. My gearbox also having issues especially if do not warm up enough then move off, will jerk when auto gearbox try to change from 1st to 2nd gear. 

• Praise 1

FD civic should have a dipstick for the gearbox. Last time for my FD1 I would check the dipstick periodically. It should be on the front passenger side near the battery.

Pull out the dipstick to check the fluid level and how dirty/clean it is. Anyway there's a trans fluid pump, check that as well. The gearbox hold a lot of the trans fluid, what we replace on schedule is only half of what it actually holds.

If you replace the trans fluid as per schedule you shouldnt have an issue. The FD civic is actually a 4 speed auto with a sort of built in final drive. The 1st gear feels powerful but the 2nd and 3rd gear is dull. But the gearbox when you are on a ramp or slope it will hold gear or drop a gear as if it has a gyroscope. In the past many owners thought the gearbox isnt shifting up cos of a fault. I like this "feature" as it was sensitive and drop gear quickly to give the car the power it needs to go up a ramp/slope. Going down slope it doesnt shift up on its own until level ground.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
On 4/25/2023 at 12:58 PM, Beregond said:

Go jb find a mod ws.

Lup in a manual gearbox😂😂😂

You lup dao wo de xin li le. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3