Honda Fit GK 2019 - Vehicle recall

itsmeagainhk

Hello Everyone,

I saw that some drivers in the Honda jazz fit group on Facebook received notifications of vehicle recall due to Fuel pump impeller.  Personally, i have not received the notifications but out of curiosity, i went to onemotoring to check on it since my car is a Honda Fit manufactured in 2019. True enough, it was under a recall program. 

Under the Onemotoring page, i was advised to contact the importer or dealer for rectifications. I have since then contacted the importer to ask for advice. However, i was directed to contact my dealer to get it rectified instead. My dealer may have closed down and I shared this with the importer. I was informed to get it rectified at my own workshop. My work shop however have turned down this rectification work as they do not know exactly what needs to be replace or changed. As the description of it is very brief.

"Improper molding conditions in the impeller (resin impeller) of a low-pressure fuel pump can cause the resin density to become low, causing it to swell and become deformed by the fuel. As a result,the impeller may come into contact with the pump case, causing the fuel pump to malfunction, and in the worst-case scenario, the engine may stall while driving.

Replace the low-pressure fuel pump with a countermeasure item."

I have since informed the importer that my dealer has possible closed down and that my workshop do not want to do the job - pending their reply.

Any advice from anyone who have faced or are facing such issues at the moment ?

Thank you.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

If have to pay yourself, then I would suggest to leave it alone till the fuel pump fails. 

• Praise 3

My Honda also affected with the same recall details.

But mine is a different model.

Bought from Kah Motor.

Manufactured in 2018.

Manufacturer recall date since 28 May 2020.

I didn't bother to book an appointment to replace the fuel pump despite all the reminder letters.

I intend to drive until the fuel pump fail then tow the car to Kah Motor for replacement.

Until today the car is still fitted with the original fuel pump from factory.

Mileage clocked 53,000KM+.

Edited recall details.png

• Praise 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:42 PM, Mkl22 said:

If have to pay yourself, then I would suggest to leave it alone till the fuel pump fails. 

Hmm why would you suggest that ? Likely it wont fail until i sell the car ?

On 1/30/2024 at 8:41 PM, Cheesepiekia said:

My Honda also affected with the same recall details.

But mine is a different model.

Bought from Kah Motor.

Manufactured in 2018.

Manufacturer recall date since 28 May 2020.

I didn't bother to book an appointment to replace the fuel pump despite all the reminder letters.

I intend to drive until the fuel pump fail then tow the car to Kah Motor for replacement.

Until today the car is still fitted with the original fuel pump from factory.

Mileage clocked 53,000KM+.

Edited recall details.png

The recall issue looks exactly the same. Im at 60k km now and thinking if i should ownself change. But i dont know if changing the fuel pump will address the issue anot.

There's this saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it".

The fuel pump is still working fine currently.

So why bother changing it?

For your case it's not free.

You've to pay for the fuel pump and the labour to change it.

You got too much money is it?

Twincharged
On 1/30/2024 at 7:07 PM, Soya said:

RadX got his famous answer....

Time to Change Car.

• Haha! 3

The low pressure fuel pump should be the in-tank unit.

The impeller is attached to the motor shaft. So if replacing it it will be the entire fuel pump assembly.

This is an example to show you where typically the impeller is located. It is all similar.

1565161792_Cut%20Pump-01.jpg

For your Fit I think it is not difficult to Google for photos. The pump diagram should be smth like this. Impeller cant be seen as the unit is likely sealed, it has to be, no air should go into it.

N1.htm16.jpg

61MHSjBB2-L.jpg

Why 3 nozzle, my guess is inlet, outlet and overflow return.

Location wise it is in the center console just behind the auto gear shift.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fp4mrftie2mm51.jpg

You can BYO fuel pump assembly by searching for local Honda stockist, they will ask you for your e-logcard to look at the engine/chassis number to confirm the make year model etc to make sure this is the correct part for your car. Then bring the part to your regular workshop and ask them to replace it. No need to say so much to them.

• Praise 1

6th Gear
On 1/31/2024 at 8:43 AM, Watwheels said:

You can BYO fuel pump assembly by searching for local Honda stockist, they will ask you for your e-logcard to look at the engine/chassis number to confirm the make year model etc to make sure this is the correct part for your car. Then bring the part to your regular workshop and ask them to replace it. No need to say so much to them.

IMHO.
The challenge is that no one knows for sure if the new pump is of the same issue. 
If the issue is swell and seize,  no issue.  The concern is there is abnormal wear causes tiny fragments to dislodge and damage the engine. 

Supersonic
(edited)
On 1/30/2024 at 6:42 PM, Mkl22 said:

Recalls are usually safety issues, it is best not to ignore.  Low risk may not mean no risks. 

@itsmeagainhk 

As an alternative, you may want to call Kah Motor and see how they could help you, you will have to prepare to pay for the service if they are willing to do it for you.

For toyota , Borneo do accept PI in some ways, not sure how it works.

https://www.toyota.com.sg/pi_form_manual

Edited by Ct3833

On 1/31/2024 at 8:50 AM, Kklee said:

IMHO.
The challenge is that no one knows for sure if the new pump is of the same issue. 
If the issue is swell and seize,  no issue.  The concern is there is abnormal wear causes tiny fragments to dislodge and damage the engine. 

There's a fuel filter along the fuel line. Not sure if it will break into pieces. If the warning says deform means the car maker took it apart and saw the problem. Polymer will not break down so easily if it's not exposed to uv light. It is sealed so unlikely to see sunlight. There must be a reason polymer is used and not metal. Metal will get corroded by the petrol but polymer itself is a byproduct of fossil fuel so I dont think it will break down so easily. It's just the injection moulding process isnt ideal and internal cavity or bubbles are present after it is moulded. 

Supersonic
On 1/30/2024 at 5:54 PM, itsmeagainhk said:

Hello Everyone,

I saw that some drivers in the Honda jazz fit group on Facebook received notifications of vehicle recall due to Fuel pump impeller.  Personally, i have not received the notifications but out of curiosity, i went to onemotoring to check on it since my car is a Honda Fit manufactured in 2019. True enough, it was under a recall program. 

Under the Onemotoring page, i was advised to contact the importer or dealer for rectifications. I have since then contacted the importer to ask for advice. However, i was directed to contact my dealer to get it rectified instead. My dealer may have closed down and I shared this with the importer. I was informed to get it rectified at my own workshop. My work shop however have turned down this rectification work as they do not know exactly what needs to be replace or changed. As the description of it is very brief.

"Improper molding conditions in the impeller (resin impeller) of a low-pressure fuel pump can cause the resin density to become low, causing it to swell and become deformed by the fuel. As a result,the impeller may come into contact with the pump case, causing the fuel pump to malfunction, and in the worst-case scenario, the engine may stall while driving.

Replace the low-pressure fuel pump with a countermeasure item."

I have since informed the importer that my dealer has possible closed down and that my workshop do not want to do the job - pending their reply.

Any advice from anyone who have faced or are facing such issues at the moment ?

Thank you.

U read carefully.  This recall is to prevent the fuel pump from failing. 

Poor design or materials used in the fuel pump. Its not a safety issue. 

Fuel pump fail is a common fault among a number of cars esp older kia.

Like many bro mention . Leave it alone till the problem come out.

In any case the fuel pump should be located below your rear passenger seat, either right or left.

If 1 day u start your car, got petrol , can crank but cannot start,

U go bang on your seat very hard a few time. Some time can help. Then faster drive to ws to replace 😂

Hypersonic

Free change lah.

Don't change sell to poor used car dealer.

We resell and it breaks down.

New customer will come MCF dealer crook, conman, thief sell me car that broke down!

Who Kenna puck?

Poor used car dealer again!

True or not? True or not?

:D

• Haha! 1

6th Gear
On 1/31/2024 at 9:00 AM, Watwheels said:

There's a fuel filter along the fuel line. Not sure if it will break into pieces. If the warning says deform means the car maker took it apart and saw the problem. Polymer will not break down so easily if it's not exposed to uv light. It is sealed so unlikely to see sunlight. There must be a reason polymer is used and not metal. Metal will get corroded by the petrol but polymer itself is a byproduct of fossil fuel so I dont think it will break down so easily. It's just the injection moulding process isnt ideal and internal cavity or bubbles are present after it is moulded. 

IMHO.
In this particular recall,  it is due to "low density resin" - my guess is that swelling and breakage could be potential issues. 

@itsmeagainhk 

Hi TS.

My opinion is it boils down to what your mindset about driving is, which will decide what your next action will be.

If you want a peace of mind for this issue so as not run the possibility of the car stalling at the worst possible time and place, just get it changed at your own cost. Yes, it is possible the same problem might come back again, and maybe you might kick yourself for buying a PI car and being left out of recalls because the dealer has closed down, at least you know you are running with a new pump now, right? Yes, it may be expensive, but this is part and parcel of driving. Take it positively that at least Honda is making the effort to admit to the issue, inform the owners about the possible risks and to get it rectified.

But, if you are NOT worried about your own and your passengers' safety if your car stalls halfway while driving without warning and the vehicle behind you crashes into your car, or if you are NOT worried that if your car stalls during peak hour traffic and cause an even bigger jam, or if you are NOT worried that if the fuel pump stops working and still does not work even after banging a few times, why change it when it's not broken? Why need to perform preventive maintenance when you had the opportunity to? Just have to perform corrective action if it happens, right?

Heart doctors probably won't like government telling people to stay healthy to prevent heart attacks. Bad for their business, you know, especailly the private ones.

6th Gear
On 1/31/2024 at 9:40 AM, Beregond said:

U read carefully.  This recall is to prevent the fuel pump from failing. 

Poor design or materials used in the fuel pump. Its not a safety issue. 

Fuel pump fail is a common fault among a number of cars esp older kia.

Like many bro mention . Leave it alone till the problem come out.

In any case the fuel pump should be located below your rear passenger seat, either right or left.

If 1 day u start your car, got petrol , can crank but cannot start,

U go bang on your seat very hard a few time. Some time can help. Then faster drive to ws to replace 😂

IMHO.

You can take this article as a reference.

Honda reports 1st fatal accident tied to defective Denso fuel pump

excerpt
A minivan equipped with a fuel pump manufactured by Denso Corp. stalled on an expressway and was rear-ended in July, resulting in the first fatality connected with the problem part, sources said.

Honda Motor Co., maker of the minivan, said the accident occurred before the vehicle could be recalled over a possible defect in the fuel pump.

Since March 2020, eight automakers, including Honda, have issued 19 recalls over defective fuel pumps produced by Denso, Japan’s largest manufacturer of autoparts. More than 3.8 million vehicles have been recalled in Japan.

The defect could disrupt the flow of gas to the engine, causing the vehicle to suddenly stop because of engine failure.

Source - https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/15082507

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1