DIY plumber

Fishy

17 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Happened to me before. Old copper pipe with pinhole leak like your photo.... 

in the concealed ceiling board! That job I outsourced cos got to cut open the ceiling and then patch back. 

Then have to engage contractor to make good...shag siah 😅

↡ Advertisement

On 3/19/2014 at 1:31 PM, Getzsfv said:

MIne is the big storage heater leh.. cannot any bigger, no space to put

Let me try. If you don't have this experience previously then there are a few possibilities.  You mixer is faulty but unlikely all mixer spoiled at the same time. Your hot water line is choked. Again not likely all.lines choked at the same time. Your hot water tank outlet or inlet is choked, more likely reason. I assume you don't have a booster pump system. 

9 hours ago, mersaylee said:

It’s copper...yet can have pin hole leak... I hope to be able to find time tomorrow for silicon patch and a ring clamp as temp fix. 

I’m now worried about the running pipe high up in the concealed top hung kitchen cabinet... 😅

My humble suggestion:

6a00d83451b52369e20162fe15406d970d-600wi.jpg.d2a2415bc46c0363702b29a937137f05.jpg

😁

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

An update

Activated the plumber to stop my better half from panic attack...

$70 including transportation for stainless steel fix...

2034C45A-F605-45BE-934F-749EA5455F82.jpeg

reasonable price share contact may need one day 

2 hours ago, mersaylee said:

An update

Activated the plumber to stop my better half from panic attack...

$70 including transportation for stainless steel fix...

2034C45A-F605-45BE-934F-749EA5455F82.jpeg

Sorry Bro, 

A bit too late. Such kind of issue can be easily resolved by turning off the tap and using a steel putty to cover. Maybe $10 from the DIY shop. 

Anyway, the plumber is also good to do this for $70

55 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Sorry Bro, 

A bit too late. Such kind of issue can be easily resolved by turning off the tap and using a steel putty to cover. Maybe $10 from the DIY shop. 

Anyway, the plumber is also good to do this for $70

Ya, many options if I got to go to a big hardware shop...too tired yesterday after an earlier diy work on the car...then this leaky issue...

The price was reasonable but I’d prefer copper to SS but he’s out of those.

Hi all, hoping to get some advice from more experienced folks here. CB got me inspired to do some home improvement and one of them is to install a toilet spray hose. I ordered a set online which includes the 3-way valve pictured here. My questions are below:

176183799_valveA.thumb.jpg.cb1456e6ed2419600e3d1fa94e2d2a5f.jpg

355131559_valveB.thumb.jpg.f4ac085101d9262ed08117f96b132f5f.jpg

pipe.thumb.jpg.925e0270c011f03c1ed7008ca9667696.jpg

I did some agar measurement and it seems that A and B are both 3/4 inch in total diameter, however B has the smaller internal diameter. Does this mean that technically both A or B could fit the same female fitting? Except that A has more thread than B.

My ideal plan is to disconnect at C and place the valve there - i.e. C female to cistern will now attach to one of B, other B will attach the spray hose, and A will somehow connect to C male. Since A is also male, I would need some sort of female-female adapter right? However, A is longer than C male, so what kind of adapter am I looking for?

Given that A is quite long, what would happen if I connected A at E? I think there would be excess thread - is that a problem?

Supersonic

I'm just an amateur, but perhaps you bought the wrong stuffs. It then becomes too complicated.

Here's how I split the pipe to the toilet cistern and put a sprayer (the top flex hose), with a simple T splitter. I also connect a sediment filter before the sprayer, since my baby is using that for bathing.

The flexible hoses are all female 1/2". So your T needs to have 2 males and 1 female, 1/2".

My horizontally-placed valve is perhaps unnecessary.

tvalve.jpg

• Praise 1

18 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

I'm just an amateur, but perhaps you bought the wrong stuffs. It then becomes too complicated.

Here's how I split the pipe to the toilet cistern and put a sprayer (the top flex hose), with a simple T splitter. I also connect a sediment filter before the sprayer, since my baby is using that for bathing.

The flexible hoses are all female 1/2". So your T needs to have 2 males and 1 female, 1/2".

My horizontally-placed valve is perhaps unnecessary.

Thanks for sharing!

Is there some kind of national standard? i.e. should I assume my flexible hose female end is also 1/2"? My loot came from China so maybe that's why it is 3/4"?

Supersonic
40 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Thanks for sharing!

Is there some kind of national standard? i.e. should I assume my flexible hose female end is also 1/2"? My loot came from China so maybe that's why it is 3/4"?

Locally domestic piping are usually just 1/2".

The garden hose type is 3/4", I think. I'm also a bit confused. But stick to all 1/2" would be easier.

Commercial piping may be 3/4" and above.

And measuring the 1/2" is also not so straightforward, it's complicated. But I think it's about fitting a 1/2" (outer diameter) pipe. So when you measure the 1/2" inch flexible pipe coupling, it may look a lot bigger than 1/2". [:p]

• Praise 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, boonhat_91 said:

Thanks for sharing!

Should be all 3/4. I just measured my spare flexi hose. I suggest you get a female - female adaptor, and insert your new T-valve at D vertically. That should be the simplest. Hardware shops are open now. 

You have to loosen E, fix up everything, and fix back E last. Buy Teflon tapes, and don't worry about minute leaks which will stop after a few days.

A has more threads no issue, just use plenty of Teflon tape. 

Ps shut the main supply first! 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

About teflon tape or PTFE tape, most people have the wrong idea, includes me too at first.

PTFE tape is used as a lubricant, to join pipes. Bcuz pipes are tapered, it's inherently water-tight, but you apply the tape as a "lubricant", so you can tightened the joints together. The tape does not formed the water-tighteness itself. But bcuz when you use it, you think so, so it is.

And people go overboard with PTFE tape. There are parts that use o-ring, in some case, just pure coupling, to form the water tightness, and absolutely no need for the tape there, but they still put it on. And even the seasoned plumber do that, bcuz they don't know what it's for. If it's there just use it, the more the merrier.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
(edited)
16 hours ago, Kb27 said:

About teflon tape or PTFE tape, most people have the wrong idea, includes me too at first.

PTFE tape is used as a lubricant, to join pipes. Bcuz pipes are tapered, it's inherently water-tight, but you apply the tape as a "lubricant", so you can tightened the joints together. The tape does not formed the water-tighteness itself. But bcuz when you use it, you think so, so it is.

And people go overboard with PTFE tape. There are parts that use o-ring, in some case, just pure coupling, to form the water tightness, and absolutely no need for the tape there, but they still put it on. And even the seasoned plumber do that, bcuz they don't know what it's for. If it's there just use it, the more the merrier.

no ley. i had to use tape for the washing machine type of tap. if you screw it all the way in then the tap will be pointing in an odd direction. so need thread seals to prevent leaks. . this was what i had to install the tap into.doubt there are O rings here

92934_P&$prodImageMedium$

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2