Why it takes our govt 3 years to put a brake in COE?

Sdexxxxd

As a responsible govt, they should have adopted many other options to manage traffic congestions, car population etc but they don't, for ONE reason :-... Why give up milking the cows when the latter either have no choice or are sufficiently blind to fall into the lure of the COE scheme? [:)]

Since when our Govt is responsible?

They only have one solution for everything. Money.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

oh yes, i almost forget about the 1.2B buses [laugh] No wonder they can promise world first class public transport

And I hope they are aware that with 1000 more buses on the road which take up space, they do have plan to widen and increase road.... Hope not by painting more red color bus lane only... [:p]

Since when our Govt is responsible?

They only have one solution for everything. Money.

Yes spot on!!

Too many cars -> COE

Roads congestion -> ERP

Property market bubble -> ABSD

Too many foreign worker -> Levy

And I hope they are aware that with 1000 more buses on the road which take up space, they do have plan to widen and increase road.... Hope not by painting more red color bus lane only... [:p]

there are quite a number of road widening projects all over SG...but the roads remain so bumpy...

More could be done by our government and I believe they are trying their best at the moment to solve the problem. Give them time.

Ya. Vote them into power GE 2016.

Turbocharged

there are quite a number of road widening projects all over SG...but the roads remain so bumpy...

Those are for current crunch, should have more to cater for future buses growth..

Supersonic

More bus lane = more jam for cars = excuse to raise ERP + cut COE = more revenue. Viola! And who says they r stooopid?

The simplest solution to every problem created by following their policies seems to always boomerang back to the public by us having us pay more. <_<

[ quote]More could be done by our government and I believe they are trying their best at the moment to solve the problem. Give them time.

Ya. Vote them into power GE 2016.

Give them time?! Oh yes, but they need to be closely supervised to do a proper job... We need more oppositions in parliament to keep a close watch on what they are up to [:)]

This stunt was done back in 2004. Not many here have long memory. Tsk tsk.

Back then COEs were a hot political potato, just like it is today. Back then, they realised the GE was coming soon. And they will lose votes because of high COEs.

And they realised to have an effect, it had to drop way before GE. And thus low COEs from 2004.

And they're pulling the same stunt again. But the diff this time is that they mistakenly pissed off dealers, ppl wanting to sell their cars, ppl who cannot stump up the 50% deposit.

They are just hoping that the public would buy into just looking and low COE numbers by 2016.

But nobody's buying it. Its just plain indecisive incompetence.

If you are right, COE will become very affordable again, but only to the rich and very cash rich by 2016.

Reactive, yes but our govt usually gets what they want at the end of the day, but then that was under the old guard, the new batch has disappointed many so far, of course they face more challenges, so do everyone of us.

Turbocharged

Buying a car should not be so complicated and result in 40k losses for some due to timing issue (and within a few months). The govt needs to revamp the COE system and not introduce such drastic measures, to have 10k COE 5 years ago, 40k 1-2 years ago, 90k early this year and 60k now, the policy needs an overhaul.

Recently, I explain to an overseas customer by quoting our buying car trend is like buying stocks.. must judge when to buy, when to hold and when to let go... If buy wrong timing, could lost tens of thousands overnight... [laugh]

Recently, I explain to an overseas customer by quoting our buying car trend is like buying stocks.. must judge when to buy, when to hold and when to let go... If buy wrong timing, could lost tens of thousands overnight... [laugh]

Worse than a black swan event... Same for dealers, 300k of lost potential profit after CM announcement, now they are all laughing to the bank as desperate cash strapped buyers are happily paying insane prices (relative to post 60 days transitional period) for a highly leveraged piece of depreciating asset (a car I was tracking is now asking for more than before the CM was put in place, see how twisted things are?).

Buying a car should not be so complicated and result in 40k losses for some due to timing issue (and within a few months). The govt needs to revamp the COE system and not introduce such drastic measures, to have 10k COE 5 years ago, 40k 1-2 years ago, 90k early this year and 60k now, the policy needs an overhaul.

I think quite a number of us did not anticipated this move by the govt and when ahead to get new cars due to family/work use before the change... in the end for nothing lose so much $$ from the drop in COE prices..... And after in future sell also got problem as the number of buyers will be reduced due to the downpayment amount..... Really KNS......

I think quite a number of us did not anticipated this move by the govt and when ahead to get new cars due to family/work use before the change... in the end for nothing lose so much $$ from the drop in COE prices..... And after in future sell also got problem as the number of buyers will be reduced due to the downpayment amount..... Really KNS......

Especially so for those with ready cash to make the 50% down, it is really KNS. At least for property, they warn you of more measures, few saw this coming.

Feelin that way since 2008.

Especially so for those with ready cash to make the 50% down, it is really KNS. At least for property, they warn you of more measures, few saw this coming.

U mean cars or properties? I mean more property cm comin?

Edited by Fuelsaver

Yes spot on!!

Too many cars -> COE

Roads congestion -> ERP

Property market bubble -> ABSD

Too many foreign worker -> Levy

Too many singaporean vote for opposition - Increase cost of living so less born in future and import more citizens

If wanna curb the housing prices, gonna stop allowing foreigners to aqquire local properties.

PR need stay a min of years to be able to purchase a house and when they leave only can sell to local loh.

as for COE a family nucleus can only purchase one. seen alot of rich people park their cars with COEs in carpark nia......

↡ Advertisement