Lift in multi-storey carpark drops suddenly

Ender

Hypersonic
(edited)

Jin scary.. My MSCP also in the process of installing a new lift.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/...506-420686.html

Man fractures leg after carpark lift jerks violently in multi-storey carpark at Block 54, Chin Swee Road. -TNP

Zaihan Mohamed Yusof

Wed, May 08, 2013

The New Paper

A hopeful passenger waits for the cargo lift to open its doors. Yet, a flashing "lift under maintenance" sign is reflected on the top right of the lift door at a multi-storey carpark at Chin Swee Road. On May 4, a couple experience a horrific lift ride when the lift suddenly dropped, leaving the couple injured.

SINGAPORE - Just seconds after the HDB carpark lift door closed on the third storey, she found herself "weightless".

Then, she and her husband were slammed against the floor of the lift.'

What started out as an ordinary trip on Saturday afternoon to repair her husband's glasses had turned into a nightmare.

Mrs Lisa Lee, a lawyer, said they were on their way to their car on the fifth storey when she felt the lift "plunge", then stop suddenly.

But the Town Council said their initial checks showed that the lift, located at Block 54, Chin Swee Road, "overran the level" at the six-storey carpark.

Whatever the cause, it left Mrs Lee's husband with a fractured leg. He underwent an operation on Sunday.

Mrs Lee said of the incident that happened at about 3.15pm: "There was no warning or screeching sound. My feet just lifted off the ground and I landed painfully on my knees."

The lift had also stalled.

Mrs Lee was left in a daze for several seconds. The moment she recovered, her instinct was to check on her husband, who is in his early 40s.

She said: "He was holding on to his right leg and groaning in pain. Luckily, we weren't hit by any falling panels from the (lift's) ceiling."

Mrs Lee's brother-in-law, Mr Johnny Tan, called The New Paper hotline on Sunday.

He said: "My sister-in-law suffered abrasions to her limbs. She is okay. But an elderly person caught in the same situation could be more badly affected."

Mrs Lee's husband, an IT professional, was less fortunate.

The hard landing had fractured his right leg.

He could not stand up because the pain was unbearable. So he lay on his back while waiting to be rescued.

Said Mrs Lee: "I didn't know how badly he was (injured), but I suspected his leg was fractured. I knew my husband needed immediate medical attention."

She contacted the Essential Maintenance Services Unit and the voice on the other end of the line said, "help is on the way", Mrs Lee recalled.

All the trapped couple could do was wait. Meanwhile, Mrs Lee continually pressed the lift alarm bell to get people's attention.

She had also contacted a friend who went to the scene.

Mrs Lee said: "My girlfriend called the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and came to the scene to report 'live' for us."

The friend told Mrs Lee that she had seen two technicians working on the lift. It would be a matter of time before they were rescued, Mrs Lee thought.

Then, all of a sudden, the lights went out. So did the ventilation. The couple's minds raced, thinking that something had gone wrong.

Hot and stuffy

Inside, it was hot and stuffy.

Mrs Lee started to worry because nobody had called them back with any news.

She said: "I was getting desperate. At that time, I didn't have the presence of mind to call the emergency services. All we could do inside was to huddle together and pray that we would be safe and be rescued."

The lights came on again, before going off a second time.

After the couple waited for more than 30 minutes, the lights and ventilation came on and the lift door opened at level four. Yet, there was nobody there to help them out, she said.

The pair was not sure what to do next.

Mrs Lee said: "It was my husband who shouted for us to get out of the lift. We were afraid that the lift could 'plunge'."

Mr Lee, while still on his back, painfully dragged himself out. All his wife could do was to watch because he was simply "too heavy" for her to pull.

A few moments later, two technicians came rushing from the nearby staircase to help the couple. The SCDF took the couple to Singapore General Hospital (SGH), where Mr Lee was warded.

On Sunday, Mrs Lee told TNP that her husband was being prepared for an emergency operation in the afternoon.

He had experienced a complex fracture, resulting in "seven fragments" on his right tibia, at the shin.

Mrs Lee was also back at the hospital because she felt numbness around her hip and pain in her ankle. A spokesman for the Tanjong Pagar Town Council said preliminary investigations revealed that the lift did not plunge.

She said: "In fact, it (the lift) overran the level, and Lisa and her husband were rescued by our lift rescue team after they were activated."

On Saturday evening, representatives from the town council visited the couple at SGH.

The spokesman added: "... We have assured them that we will get our insurance company to follow up with them on their medical cost. We will also follow up with them to assist them on this matter."

OTHER INCIDENTS

1) In October 2011, a cargo lift plunged three storeys to the ground.

RELATED STORIES

Woman drops to her death in lift plunge

Mum-to-be breaks leg in lift plunge

11 dead in China work site lift plunge

Cargo lift plunges 3 storeys down into cars

Five hurt as lift plunges six floors

Kids stuck in lift for an hour

Escape from stalled lift turns fatal

Two foreign workers in the lift escaped with minor injuries. The incident occurred at a basement carpark of KB-1, an industrial complex in Kaki Bukit.

Two cars were damaged as a result of metal counter-weights in the lift crashing onto them.

2) On one Tuesday in June 2004, 21 people were trapped in lifts following an islandwide blackout.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force had responded to more than 20 calls from people trapped in lifts. Some of those trapped had to wait hours to be freed.

An HDB spokesman, who was quoted by The Straits Times (ST) in a July 2004 report, said all lifts in Housing Board estates have an automatic rescue device designed to take a lift to the closest landing and open its doors.

All 16,700 lifts in its estates have the device.

But the 21 people trapped was the result of the device not working, the HDB spokesman told ST.

[email protected]

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement

This was the damn machine that 5 blangala packed me onto after i refuse to take it with my family.

they push me up lock me there even though i dunno them.......

(edited)

Ouch...from the description the fracture on the leg is really bad.

As for the lift, could be the counterweights got problem, "sling shot" them to overrun to the top level before "plunging" to the 4th level.

Edited by Watwheels

Supercharged

This one nothing lah!

Should try the one at USS - Battlestar Galactia! [cool]

4th Gear

Hope that the Town Council will investigate this incident and find out what is wrong. There's a lot of old folks living in that area and if such incident happened to them, the result could be more deadly.

Luckily my house no lifts........ [:p]

What brand is the lift manufacturer?

I'm more concern this will not happen in Aljunied GRC & Hougang SMC Constituency [sweatdrop]

"A spokesman for the Tanjong Pagar Town Council said preliminary investigations revealed that the lift did not plunge.

She said: "In fact, it (the lift) overran the level.."

Lift Plunge now become Overran??? Over ran can break a man's leg??

I think next time the bus better not over-ran the bus stop, otherwise the passengers might get broken limbs... [laugh]

Looks like their English Vocabulary getting more and more tok kong... Flooding -> Ponding, Plunge -> Over ran,

Lets call a spade a spade la... for heaven's sake

The more you try to obfuscate the truth, the more light is shone on the lie... :angry:

"A spokesman for the Tanjong Pagar Town Council said preliminary investigations revealed that the lift did not plunge.

She said: "In fact, it (the lift) overran the level.."

Lift Plunge now become Overran??? Over ran can break a man's leg??

I think next time the bus better not over-ran the bus stop, otherwise the passengers might get broken limbs... [laugh]

Looks like their English Vocabulary getting more and more tok kong... Flooding -> Ponding, Plunge -> Over ran,

Lets call a spade a spade la... for heaven's sake

The more you try to obfuscate the truth, the more light is shone on the lie... :angry:

They hired Elites for their good brain to create BOMBASTIC WORDS to smoke you and me [:(]

• Praise 1

Jin scary.. My MSCP also in the process of installing a new lift.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/...506-420686.html

Man fractures leg after carpark lift jerks violently in multi-storey carpark at Block 54, Chin Swee Road. -TNP

Zaihan Mohamed Yusof

Wed, May 08, 2013

The New Paper

A hopeful passenger waits for the cargo lift to open its doors. Yet, a flashing "lift under maintenance" sign is reflected on the top right of the lift door at a multi-storey carpark at Chin Swee Road. On May 4, a couple experience a horrific lift ride when the lift suddenly dropped, leaving the couple injured.

SINGAPORE - Just seconds after the HDB carpark lift door closed on the third storey, she found herself "weightless".

Then, she and her husband were slammed against the floor of the lift.'

What started out as an ordinary trip on Saturday afternoon to repair her husband's glasses had turned into a nightmare.

Mrs Lisa Lee, a lawyer, said they were on their way to their car on the fifth storey when she felt the lift "plunge", then stop suddenly.

But the Town Council said their initial checks showed that the lift, located at Block 54, Chin Swee Road, "overran the level" at the six-storey carpark.

Whatever the cause, it left Mrs Lee's husband with a fractured leg. He underwent an operation on Sunday.

Mrs Lee said of the incident that happened at about 3.15pm: "There was no warning or screeching sound. My feet just lifted off the ground and I landed painfully on my knees."

The lift had also stalled.

Mrs Lee was left in a daze for several seconds. The moment she recovered, her instinct was to check on her husband, who is in his early 40s.

She said: "He was holding on to his right leg and groaning in pain. Luckily, we weren't hit by any falling panels from the (lift's) ceiling."

Mrs Lee's brother-in-law, Mr Johnny Tan, called The New Paper hotline on Sunday.

He said: "My sister-in-law suffered abrasions to her limbs. She is okay. But an elderly person caught in the same situation could be more badly affected."

Mrs Lee's husband, an IT professional, was less fortunate.

The hard landing had fractured his right leg.

He could not stand up because the pain was unbearable. So he lay on his back while waiting to be rescued.

Said Mrs Lee: "I didn't know how badly he was (injured), but I suspected his leg was fractured. I knew my husband needed immediate medical attention."

She contacted the Essential Maintenance Services Unit and the voice on the other end of the line said, "help is on the way", Mrs Lee recalled.

All the trapped couple could do was wait. Meanwhile, Mrs Lee continually pressed the lift alarm bell to get people's attention.

She had also contacted a friend who went to the scene.

Mrs Lee said: "My girlfriend called the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and came to the scene to report 'live' for us."

The friend told Mrs Lee that she had seen two technicians working on the lift. It would be a matter of time before they were rescued, Mrs Lee thought.

Then, all of a sudden, the lights went out. So did the ventilation. The couple's minds raced, thinking that something had gone wrong.

Hot and stuffy

Inside, it was hot and stuffy.

Mrs Lee started to worry because nobody had called them back with any news.

She said: "I was getting desperate. At that time, I didn't have the presence of mind to call the emergency services. All we could do inside was to huddle together and pray that we would be safe and be rescued."

The lights came on again, before going off a second time.

After the couple waited for more than 30 minutes, the lights and ventilation came on and the lift door opened at level four. Yet, there was nobody there to help them out, she said.

The pair was not sure what to do next.

Mrs Lee said: "It was my husband who shouted for us to get out of the lift. We were afraid that the lift could 'plunge'."

Mr Lee, while still on his back, painfully dragged himself out. All his wife could do was to watch because he was simply "too heavy" for her to pull.

A few moments later, two technicians came rushing from the nearby staircase to help the couple. The SCDF took the couple to Singapore General Hospital (SGH), where Mr Lee was warded.

On Sunday, Mrs Lee told TNP that her husband was being prepared for an emergency operation in the afternoon.

He had experienced a complex fracture, resulting in "seven fragments" on his right tibia, at the shin.

Mrs Lee was also back at the hospital because she felt numbness around her hip and pain in her ankle. A spokesman for the Tanjong Pagar Town Council said preliminary investigations revealed that the lift did not plunge.

She said: "In fact, it (the lift) overran the level, and Lisa and her husband were rescued by our lift rescue team after they were activated."

On Saturday evening, representatives from the town council visited the couple at SGH.

The spokesman added: "... We have assured them that we will get our insurance company to follow up with them on their medical cost. We will also follow up with them to assist them on this matter."

OTHER INCIDENTS

1) In October 2011, a cargo lift plunged three storeys to the ground.

RELATED STORIES

Woman drops to her death in lift plunge

Mum-to-be breaks leg in lift plunge

11 dead in China work site lift plunge

Cargo lift plunges 3 storeys down into cars

Five hurt as lift plunges six floors

Kids stuck in lift for an hour

Escape from stalled lift turns fatal

Two foreign workers in the lift escaped with minor injuries. The incident occurred at a basement carpark of KB-1, an industrial complex in Kaki Bukit.

Two cars were damaged as a result of metal counter-weights in the lift crashing onto them.

2) On one Tuesday in June 2004, 21 people were trapped in lifts following an islandwide blackout.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force had responded to more than 20 calls from people trapped in lifts. Some of those trapped had to wait hours to be freed.

An HDB spokesman, who was quoted by The Straits Times (ST) in a July 2004 report, said all lifts in Housing Board estates have an automatic rescue device designed to take a lift to the closest landing and open its doors.

All 16,700 lifts in its estates have the device.

But the 21 people trapped was the result of the device not working, the HDB spokesman told ST.

[email protected]

I thought these sort of happenings, are in 3rd world countries. It seems happening here very often. [laugh] [laugh]

Hypersonic
(edited)

i've never fully trusted lifts.

Nowadays compared to my childhood, they work a lot better.

in the 80s and early 90s, some HDB lifts will not land correctly in line with the doors every now and then [dizzy]

Edited by Lala81

When they try to hide more, their fox tails will be revealed more...

c--k Up or Wrong say Wrong la.. Nothing to be shy .. Or are they too proud to fail?

Next Time when lift door, better check if the lift is indeed at your floor.. or else you may fall into the lift hole when the lift over ran your floor! [laugh]

Supersonic
(edited)

Hope that the Town Council will investigate this incident and find out what is wrong. There's a lot of old folks living in that area and if such incident happened to them, the result could be more deadly.

Luckily my house no lifts........ [:p]

I believe is the cargo lift near the mscp. Elderly staying there hardly use that life except for pple patronising the chinese restaurant or grocery shopping at sheng siong. I use that lift every sunday morning (moring tea cum grocery shopping). [bigcry]

PS. sunday Free parking. [laugh]

Edited by Kopites

(edited)

lift not installed properly or cheapo lift used? i thought modern lifts have safeguards against such mishaps?

CB town council trying to smoke it's way out??? saying the ppl inside lying ar? knn

Edited by Mockngbrd

Hypersonic

lift not installed properly or cheapo lift used? i thought modern lifts have safeguards against such mishaps?

CB town council trying to smoke it's way out??? saying the ppl inside lying ar? knn

I also thought they have some kind of 'bu lake'' will be engage as fail safe..

↡ Advertisement