Advice Needed: Legal Letter 2 years 9 months after accident!

Sfour

Need advice from the experienced seniors here.

I was involved in an accident in early 2012. I was hit from behind by a taxi when I stopped on red at a traffic junction.

To cut the long story short, the case only concluded earlier this year with the courts ruling either 80% or 90% in my favor, with all compensation paid. I thought that was the end of it.

However, I received a letter today, from a lawyer acting on behalf of the passenger claiming to be in the taxi at the time of accident. The letter is demanding for my particulars, insurance details, copy of police report etc, threatening legal action against me if I do not reply within 7 days. The letter was sent via normal mail and not registered mail.

I thought these details are easily available from TP as long as they pay for the report?

I don't quite like the threatening tone of the letter. Can I just ignore it?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Nope. Everything was done through my lawyer. I only signed an acceptance of the compensation offered after negotiation.

By the way, the taxi driver was charged with reckless driving by TP.

Edited by Sfour

I was involved in an accident in early 2012. I was hit from behind by a taxi when I stopped on red at a traffic junction.

To cut the long story short, the case only concluded earlier this year with the courts ruling either 80% or 90% in my favor, with all compensation paid. I thought that was the end of it.

However, I received a letter today, from a lawyer acting on behalf of the passenger claiming to be in the taxi at the time of accident. The letter is demanding for my particulars, insurance details, copy of police report etc, threatening legal action against me if I do not reply within 7 days. The letter was sent via normal mail and not registered mail.

I thought these details are easily available from TP as long as they pay for the report?

Send it to your insurer

• Praise 6

since it is normal mail (I mean, not registered), just ignore it.

if not, just submit and email a copy to your car insurance company handling the case.

Ask the lawyer for same info from the passenger and then screw the lawyer for threatening and offending you.

I also received 1 ordinary, followed by 1 registered letters and I ignored them. Then came a hand delivered letter from a lawyer relating to an accident that happened nearly 2 years after an accident.

In my case, the front car that I banged was claiming against me and I claimed against the car behind me. My car repairs and claims were all settled when I received that nasty lawyer's letters. After picking the phone and screwing the lawyer, nothing heard after that. That happened 30 years ago.

Edited by Dumb
  • Praise 4

for that fact that it is not sent registered, shows a cheepo in the process.

send to insurer, let them take care.

the purpose of sending a legal letter by registered mail is to use the postal service to prove letter was delivered to a recipient at the intended address, and then use the delivery date + 7 days to initiate legal proceeds (without further notice). by using regular mail, it sounds like the guy himself is trying to squeeze you directly.

like the other bros mentioned, pass it to your insurer. they will give it to their real in-house lawyer to deal with :D

• Praise 1

Nope. Everything was done through my lawyer. I only signed an acceptance of the compensation offered after negotiation.

By the way, the taxi driver was charged with reckless driving by TP.

How come you never got 100% compensation?

Ah just re read but what does 80% to 90% in your favour mean?

Edited by Neutrino

I also received one at the beginning of this year for an accident that happened in 2011.

the lawyer coy asked me to reply within 7 days to their coy as joker who hit me from behind wanna claim says my car bounced back and hit him.....

I called the lawyer coy up and told them that my claim had already been done, if they have anything should contact my insurer, added I will only respond to my insurer if they disturb me again I will not hesitate to sue them. so far so quiet...

Edited by ChickenMob
  • Praise 3

Maybe the copy is just a CC to you?

The letter is actually addressed to your insurer?

The letter is addressed directly to me as the owner of the car.

The letter is asking me if I am the driver of the car during the accident, my insurance details etc. Seems like they only know my car details and nothing else!

↡ Advertisement