2014 Corolla Altis - Technical, Features & Use

Kklee

Did two 'good' things for my car this week.

Techron Concentrate . Seems immediate smoother when driving from petrol station to home. Placebo effect?

Put "Big D" sound proofing seal on all four doors + pillar between front and rear doors.

While the seal is working, now it is clear the noise "leaks" I wanted to block is not front the pillar mentioned but mostly from the glass window. Nothing I can do I suppose (cannot change the glass, right!?).

Anyone did wheel arch sound proof , how much it cost and where?

For my case when using Techron, I really believe it become smoother. In the morning for cold start, the car drive smoother. I use this as a gauge. If I use it for every 10k instead of the recommendation 5k, the engine smoothness is very minimal. Recently, I switch over to another brand that claim use every 10k. Let u know how it goes later.

When u rubber seal initially, the door is harder to close and sitting inside seems like inside a vacuum space. Like most people say, it does not last. Can do simple add on with small D to tighten the door as time goes.

For windscreen, cracking sound when driving on rough road is due to contact between to windscreen and dashboard. Can put rubber seal (various color available)? People also say help with the noise. Our glass is suppose to be acoustic type one already.

If it is tire noise, I find my yoko stock tire getting very noisy after 30k. So for me, I Am towards in investing in good quiet tires for now.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

According to the news, the new Altis has improved the noise isolation and better drive due to new suspension. May be good to know whether this improvement can be use on our Altis.

According to the news, the new Altis has improved the noise isolation and better drive due to new suspension. May be good to know whether this improvement can be use on our Altis.

I will opt for more quiet tyre at next replacement. The PS3 is good by itSrlf. The road noise us really bad when I travel along PIE TPY to Jurong stretch daily. Cannot hear my rear passenger. Could be a useful feature

For my case when using Techron, I really believe it become smoother. In the morning for cold start, the car drive smoother. I use this as a gauge. If I use it for every 10k instead of the recommendation 5k, the engine smoothness is very minimal. Recently, I switch over to another brand that claim use every 10k. Let u know how it goes later.

When u rubber seal initially, the door is harder to close and sitting inside seems like inside a vacuum space. Like most people say, it does not last. Can do simple add on with small D to tighten the door as time goes.

For windscreen, cracking sound when driving on rough road is due to contact between to windscreen and dashboard. Can put rubber seal (various color available)? People also say help with the noise. Our glass is suppose to be acoustic type one already.

If it is tire noise, I find my yoko stock tire getting very noisy after 30k. So for me, I Am towards in investing in good quiet tires for now.

I feel the engine revs easier (inertia) n smoother after applying the Concentrate. In the coming months I will find out whether this improvement last for the 5k km as advertised.

I feel the engine revs easier (inertia) n smoother after applying the Concentrate. In the coming months I will find out whether this improvement last for the 5k km as advertised.

Spot on. Mine I recall last aro 6k. I also travel on the same stretch of the high way as u, I find using the 3rd and 4 th lane faster before back into PIE before the BKE exit. It is damned noisy I agreed.

The glass I mentioned is actually referring to windscreen. U are right. Our side windows are normal one.

drive a early 2016 model...the radio channels cannot be heard at some places most time...anybody got this problem...thanks

Mine is roughly the SAMe period. I am on 93.8 and I do experience bad reception some times but normally it does not last long while I am driving. No reception @ underground car park aro my area in Paris Ris.

I told my various problems n observations at the 1k km Service. The lady at the ubi service centre asked is it my first car (as if i don't know how a car should be, or implied Altos is lower model not Camry or Lexus). I never returned to ubi.

• Praise 1

I told my various problems n observations at the 1k km Service. The lady at the ubi service centre asked is it my first car (as if i don't know how a car should be, or implied Altos is lower model not Camry or Lexus). I never returned to ubi.

I think that's very rude for the service advisor. But they pester me to sign on their service package. BM said that I will get 20% off for future serving after my guarantee expires.
  • Praise 1

Mine is roughly the SAMe period. I am on 93.8 and I do experience bad reception some times but normally it does not last long while I am driving. No reception @ underground car park aro my area in Paris Ris.

Is it reception problem or speaker too soft? Anyone tried changing speakers?

• Praise 1

I think it more to do with reception from the particular station. I do not seems to have problems with the more popular station like 95.0, 90.5 & 93.3

• Praise 1

I think it more to do with reception from the particular station. I do not seems to have problems with the more popular station like 95.0, 90.5 & 93.3

Maybe it is the signal strength from Mediacorp.

recently I tested the speedometer using my phone GPS.

it roughly about 5km/h faster.

i.e. when it displays 70km/h, my GPS shows 65km/h.

this leads me to another question, since it show more km travelled per hour, would that inflate the fuel consumption as well?

i.e the trip meter shows you have travelled 70km, but actually since the speed measurement is wrong, you have actually only travelled 65km. hence, the fuel calculation is wrong (less fuel consumed shown as compared to actual)

note this will both affect the manual calculation and the trip computer calculation as they both depending on how many km travelled (which could be inflated due to the speedometer error)

I believe a correctly tuned car speedometer is more accurate than gps.

I was at Melbourne driving with cruise control set at x km/h.

There's a speed display install above the road for road safety.

It accurately display my speed when I cross it.

While the GPS (both in car and my garmin) was a few km off in a wide open space.

Your car speedometer has to be accurate with correct tyres for u to comply with laws.

That experience let me to believe civvy gps speed is a guage. Not accurate.

• Praise 1

I think for 2016 Altis. You got to Upgrade and insulate your Car for maximum sound proofing before you change your sound system.

Of course sound system, there is low range, mid range and top top tier range.

I believe a correctly tuned car speedometer is more accurate than gps.

I was at Melbourne driving with cruise control set at x km/h.

There's a speed display install above the road for road safety.

It accurately display my speed when I cross it.

While the GPS (both in car and my garmin) was a few km off in a wide open space.

Your car speedometer has to be accurate with correct tyres for u to comply with laws.

That experience let me to believe civvy gps speed is a guage. Not accurate.

In my experience with 3 different cars,  speedometer is consistently slower vs GPS. 

How accurate is GPS for speed measurement?

Excerpt..

The government provides the GPS signal in space with a global average user range rate error (URRE) of ≤0.006 m/sec over any 3-second interval, with 95% probability.

Source : http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

The 2014 engine spec output 121Bhp n latest 129bhp. Correct?

Is this a software update that our car can use?

If can, dunno if got ill effect. 

I think that's very rude for the service advisor. But they pester me to sign on their service package. BM said that I will get 20% off for future serving after my guarantee expires.

Think I "signed" everything that needs to be "signed up".    [laugh]

I think for 2016 Altis. You got to Upgrade and insulate your Car for maximum sound proofing before you change your sound system.

Of course sound system, there is low range, mid range and top top tier range.

Thanks.

btw, BM sells a range of audio upgrades for Altis on their website. Got Tweater, woofer and DSP

If can, dunno if got ill effect. 

Certainly. More power ==> faster drive ==> higher probability to speed ==> wallet shrinks ==> wife unhappy ==> myself unhappy.

seriously, it is a 'want' question being kiasu. I hardly will be driving my car at rev that delivers 121bhp today or ever. A more practical "want" is high bhp & torque delivery < 2000rpm but then there are physics of engine we cannot circumvent.

↡ Advertisement