Annual Leave Optimizer 2016

BabyBlade

Turbocharged

We see these charts every year , and without fail the press will annouce  " BUMPER CROP OF LONG WEEKENDS FOR NEXT YEAR "  if you choose your leave carefully .

Question is :- Do we really have a special year where the PH coincide with weekends , or in fact it is actually a norm ?

First lets analyse when we can get long weekend :

a) When the PH falls on Sat or Sun , and Monday will be off in lieu

b) When the PH falls on Mon or Fri , then there iis a 3 day break

c) When the PH falls on Tues or Thurs ,  then we take one day off ( Mon or Fri ) and we have a 4 day break .

In short , only when PH falls on a Wednesday , we cant really take one extra day off and enjoy a long break.

Next we look at our 11 days of public holidays :

a) Good Friday is confirmed long weekend as it always falls on a Fri

b) CNY are confirmed long weekends even if it falls on a Wed , cos its 2 consecutive days ,

Meaning out of the 11 PHs , only 8 of them has a chance to land on a Wednesday. The odds of a PH landing on Wed is 1 in 7 , so mathematically , only 1 or 2  out of 8 PHs will be on a Wed .

So in conclusion , every year we have 11 public hoilidays , and out of the eleven , only 1 or 2 will not give you a long weekend . Every year is a bumper crop long wekend .

Sorry to pour cold water . [:p]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

alamak ... this ownself shiok ownself holiday thread has turned into limsw 10-steps analysis thesis ... LOL

but i likes [thumbsup] ... thanks for the insights

anyway, whether long or not long weekend ... it's all about planning and timing (ie: school holiday)

one thing for sure is super jam at tuas and causeway ... and Genting 100% occupancy hehe

for latio2005, everyday is holiday [thumbsup] ...

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

We see these charts every year , and without fail the press will annouce  " BUMPER CROP OF LONG WEEKENDS FOR NEXT YEAR "  if you choose your leave carefully .

Question is :- Do we really have a special year where the PH coincide with weekends , or in fact it is actually a norm ?

First lets analyse when we can get long weekend :

a) When the PH falls on Sat or Sun , and Monday will be off in lieu

b) When the PH falls on Mon or Fri , then there iis a 3 day break

c) When the PH falls on Tues or Thurs ,  then we take one day off ( Mon or Fri ) and we have a 4 day break .

In short , only when PH falls on a Wednesday , we cant really take one extra day off and enjoy a long break.

Next we look at our 11 days of public holidays :

a) Good Friday is confirmed long weekend as it always falls on a Fri

b) CNY are confirmed long weekends even if it falls on a Wed , cos its 2 consecutive days ,

Meaning out of the 11 PHs , only 8 of them has a chance to land on a Wednesday. The odds of a PH landing on Wed is 1 in 7 , so mathematically , only 1 or 2  out of 8 PHs will be on a Wed .

So in conclusion , every year we have 11 public hoilidays , and out of the eleven , only 1 or 2 will not give you a long weekend . Every year is a bumper crop long wekend .

Sorry to pour cold water . [:p]

PH not exactly random leh. For example, X'mas and new year will always be on the same day.

Turbocharged

PH not exactly random leh. For example, X'mas and new year will always be on the same day.

Yes New Year and Christmas always on same day ; but they can fall on any days , Mon to Sun .   Only when it falls on a Wed , you cannot take 1 day off and get long weekend .

Turbocharged

Well - it's pretty well known that 40% of sick leave is taken  on Monday or Friday 

As to the "1 in 7" - shouldn't that be 1 in 5? 

Public holidays that fall on Saturday or Sunday are generally Mondayised right? 

• Praise 1

104 weekend, 11 days PH, 14 days MC, 6 days childcare leave, 21 days annual leave. 

How many days are you guys actually working?   [mad]  [mad]

104 weekend, 11 days PH, 14 days MC, 6 days childcare leave, 21 15 days annual leave. 

This is me.

Only starting to get my additional 6 days this year.

I've been working more than 5 years and have taken only 1 day of MC throughout (medical appointment at the hospital). Most of my annual leave was saved up and converted to $$$ when I left my previous company but current company doesn't allow for it.

This is me.

Only starting to get my additional 6 days this year.

I've been working more than 5 years and have taken only 1 day of MC throughout (medical appointment at the hospital). Most of my annual leave was saved up and converted to $$$ when I left my previous company but current company doesn't allow for it.

you are good worker  [thumbsup]

most company dun allow to en cash on annual leave unless you resign.

104 weekend, 11 days PH, 14 days MC, 6 days childcare leave, 21 days annual leave. 

I din know you are HR director

Hi,

GOOD MORNING.

After 10 years of selfless service, a man realized that he has not been promoted, no transfer, no salary increase no recommendation and that the Company is not doing any thing about it. So he decided to walk up to his HR Manager one morning and after exchanging greetings, he told his HR Manager his observation. The boss looked at him, laughed and asked him to sit down saying;

Myfriend, you have not worked here for even one day.

The man was surprised to hear this, but the manager went on to explain.

Manager:- How many days are there in a year?

Man:- 365 days and some times 366

Manager:- how many hours make up a day?

Man:- 24 hours

Manager:- How long do you work in a day?

Man:- 8am to 4pm. i.e. 8 hours a day.

Manager:- S! o, what fraction of the day do you work in hours?

Man:- (He did some arithmetic and said 8/24 hours i.e. 1/3(one third)

Manager:- That is nice of you! What is one-third of 366 days?

Man:- 122 (1/3×366 = 122 in days)

Manager:- Do you come to work on weekends?

Man:- No sir

Manager:- How many days are there in a year that are weekends?

Man:- 52 Saturdays and 52 Sundays equals to 104 days

Manager:- Thanks for that. If you remove 104 days from 122 days, how many days do you now have?

Man:- 18 days.

Manager:- OK! I do give you 2 weeks sick leave every year. Now remove that14 days from the 18 days left. How many days do you have remaining?

Man:- 4 days

Manager:- Do you work on New Year day?

Man:- No sir!

Manager! :- Do you come to work on workers day?

Manager:- So how many days are left?

Man:- 2 days sir!

Manager:- Do you come to work on the (National holiday )?

Man:- 1 day sir!

Manager:- Do you work on Christmas day?

Man:- None sir!

Manager:- So, what are you claiming?

Man:- I have understood, Sir. I did not realise that I was stealing Company money all these days.

Moral – NEVER GO TO HR FOR HELP!!!

HR=HIGH RISK

i never taken mc in my 20 years.......

my only leave will be MY DEATH leave...can?

I was not given MC & send to hospital after getting Dengue.  What's with doctor nowadays??

i only try to take 1 day MC per month  [laugh]  [laugh]

I was not given MC & send to hospital after getting Dengue.  What's with doctor nowadays??

think he is a hardcore in-line 4 BMW driver...that why  :XD:

i only try to take 1 day MC per month  [laugh]  [laugh]

old man problems...we know

No le.  My doctor drives an Alfa

all the more reason he hates you  :grin:  cos his car alwes take MC

• Praise 1

My previous coy had no such policy at first - they only realised their asses were on fire when someone resigned with 200+ days of leave and off and had to pay out for the lump sum.

Then they tried to get everyone to clear their leave progressively but I resigned before having to clear much.

I salute you but didn't you undergo some surgery?

No MC ah?

My previous coy had no such policy at first - they only realised their asses were on fire when someone resigned with 200+ days of leave and off and had to pay out for the lump sum.

Then they tried to get everyone to clear their leave progressively but I resigned before having to clear much.

I salute you but didn't you undergo some surgery?

No MC ah?

that one hospitalisation leave.....MC still intact....

wanted to work after i was discharged the following week but kena scolding by boss...hahahaha so took the 3 wks given but worked fr home