COE bidding - 2nd round of Feb 2017 delayed with change

wdldalian

Thanks for those bros who praised my post. I initiated the post immediately when the information about delay for bidding was available. Hopefully, this has provided a good platform for everyone to share our views. This is not a usual post for us to discuss the COE trend every round, but a special post for discussion on this important change in the Budget.

I think what you have done is great bro! [thumbsup]

And this thread deverse more praises than any. This is the kind of fast information that make us proud.  ^_^  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Total Quota should remain the same to control the # of vehicle as per targeted car growth rate. The additional new Cat for PH will get the quota by moving some from current Cat A and B.

So end of they day probably back to square 1

Agreed, the new CAT will grab its quota from both CAT A and B, hopefully not a lot, <200 per CAT can liao.  [rolleyes]

Wah, cheat feeling man. :o  Your sgt got cheat your body or not? If have,  you two have to go LCK find one training area go sort it out liao.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

And lucky thing he didnt cheat your car right?  [:p]

Is car showroom pack today? Any live FR from Leng Kee and Ubi area?  [laugh]

Any bookie here? Can I place my money on...

"No more coe or road tax system, implementation of satellite tracking system for all new vehicles and old one after coe expired. vehicles will pay based on distance covered the moment it utilize public roads. location where satellite tracking not possible will be charge a predetermined fee base on point of entry and exit upon reconnection to the satellite."

Fulfil one's desire to own a car yet effectively control the utilization of the road. Then, demand of carpark space will shoot up and we enter another phase...

"HDB/URA carpark lots for sale (HK system), property tax, stamp duty applies"

They should offer me a job in this field, shouldn't they? [:p] 

All the while I thought COE is affected by market demand and car quotas... then comes uber & grab..... actually the most effective one is chut patterns, Singapore domestic market is not realistic it is all about " patterns "

Good lucks to those getting their rides:)

Total Quota should remain the same to control the # of vehicle as per targeted car growth rate. The additional new Cat for PH will get the quota by moving some from current Cat A and B.

Agree that the quota remains the same but the bidding outcomes will probably be different.

Different cats have different bidding patterns due to different consumption propensities.

Uber and grab definitely have different bidding inclinations and stronger purchasing powers, just like taxi companies. They should have been grouped together from the onset.

We are talking about PH pushing up COE, but there are many job opportunities created with PH as well. Many that lost there income rely on PH.

• Praise 1

We are talking about PH pushing up COE, but there are many job opportunities created with PH as well. Many that lost there income rely on PH.

some FT older Taxi drivers also lost their job becos of the stiff competition with PHV. worst are these older drivers are too old to find another job suitable for them and have a family to support. unlike the PHV drivers who are younger, stronger and can fit any jobs in the market.

• Praise 1

some FT older Taxi drivers also lost their job becos of the stiff competition with PHV. worst are these older drivers are too old to find another job suitable for them and have a family to support. unlike the PHV drivers who are younger, stronger and can fit any jobs in the market.

My understanding is some taxi companies allows them to take call from UG. The competition is not directly UG but fare structure and surcharges. Why we prefer UG is because it's flexibility and choice. We know the charges to expect. Do you not think UG is good to stay, putting aside COE. I was in a taxi and the driver is doubling up by picking UG ride. He dun mind UG, they have more choice too. Why you think taxi Co giving half price rental and implement hourly rental. Edited by Darius

Is car showroom pack today? Any live FR from Leng Kee and Ubi area? [laugh]

Was at Ubi Showrooms earlier afternoon.. Strong crowd turnout as expected after the news..

Personally think that CAT A buyers may still wait after the announcement, but CAT B buyers should really go for Guaranteed COE package now.. Just my personal opinion. Cheers!

Yes, overall quota will remain the same. But from what I understand if like taxi companies, PH will specify their fleet requirement to LTA who will allocate the COE to them. Most important thing is that they will not actively bid in the market and cannot influence price through their bidding. They just pay the PQP like the taxis.

Was at Ubi Showrooms earlier afternoon.. Strong crowd turnout as expected after the news..

Personally think that CAT A buyers may still wait after the announcement, but CAT B buyers should really go for Guaranteed COE package now.. Just my personal opinion. Cheers!

Bet to differ, Coe surely shoot Liao, end up TOP up or pay more. Just hold, wait for tide to come down. Coe drop below 50k so chut pattern, look at their Budget figure, can Guess roughly their preferrred Coe quantum. Now rush in, burn oneself. Of course u got $$, just buy lah. Else, give it 2-3 mth, shld stable. Just my 2c thots.

second cars onward already have to pay a premium for parking.

what's so drastic that they have to postpone the bidding by two days? i suspect it could be imposing a %premium on the coe of second cars and more of a household. 

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/postponing-of-coe-tender-drives-talk-of-car-policy-changes

The Land Transport Authority announced yesterday that the next certificate of entitlement (COE) tender will be delayed for two days, triggering speculation that major changes affecting car buyers are afoot.

The LTA said bidding will begin next Wednesday and end on Friday, instead of the usual Monday to Wednesday exercise period.

Motor traders expect announcements to be made on Budget Day next Monday to have an impact on prices.

Mr Vincent Ng, a consultant with parallel importer Ideal Motoring, said the announcements "should be related to the (COE) quota".

"They might moderate supply to keep premiums at the $50,000 level," he told The Straits Times.

Car COE premiums dipped at the first tender of this month to around $48,000, and look poised to slide further on what is expected to be a sizeable quota.

Putting aside COEs for leaner years has been mooted before, but former transport minister Lui Tuck Yew said the Government had decided not to do that.

Other observers said a quota change was unlikely, given that a spate of COE revalidations - where car owners pay to extend the lifespan of their car's expiring COE - will in effect flatten the sharply cyclical COE supply curve over time.

A veteran dealer said: "There must be some structural changes coming. Otherwise, they won't need to postpone the bidding."

There is also talk that the Government will lower the annual vehicle population growth rate further. It is now 0.25 per cent, and the possibility of zero growth has been raised before by Senior Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo.

The other widely expected change is to the Carbon Emissions-based Vehicle Scheme.

As first reported by ST on Jan 4, the Government is looking to introduce more criteria into the scheme, which dishes out tax rebates and surcharges according to how much carbon dioxide a car emits.

New pollutants being looked into include fine particulate matter, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides.

And with recently announced rules for private-hire cars, there is also talk that operators such as Uber and Grab may be barred from bidding directly for COEs.

They have been blamed for pushing COE prices up, after starting to grow their fleet of new cars two years ago.

Taxi companies are barred from bidding. Instead, they pay a prevailing quota premium for new cabs.

Lastly, some traders expect the power cap for Category A COE (cars up to 1,600cc and 130bhp) to be lowered to 120bhp.

Traders said buyers trying to beat the changes - which are likely to push prices higher - might cause a frenzied rush to showrooms this weekend.

↡ Advertisement