Auto gate repair

Ct3833

Due to continuous rain, my rolling gate finally decided to stop working on me this morning, I suspect it was water sippage through a small hole into the motor housing but I have no time to open it up this morning. Called my regular maintenance guy but he has no gate lobang, Any bro have reliable lobang to have the gate motor checked would be appreciated, while i will open up the box later to see what is wrong first.  Thanks in advance. 

↡ Advertisement

Rolling gate? Or do you mean auto sliding gate?

Did you go thru a series of steps to physically check before coming to a conclusion?

For such system the cover is usually designed "upside down" such that no water will be able to seep through by gravity to so called water proof it against the elements.

I suggest you do a series of physical checks before coming to a conclusion. Eg. circuit breaker(did it trip), condition of remote control batteries, any "clicking" sound from the box when you press the remote button, any debris on the rack and pinion. Or maybe you see the pinion spinning but there's no contact with the rack. These are simple checks just by using your sight and senses.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Rolling gate? Or do you mean auto sliding gate?

Did you go thru a series of steps to physically check before coming to a conclusion?

For such system the cover is usually designed "upside down" such that no water will be able to seep through by gravity to so called water proof it against the elements.

I suggest you do a series of physical checks before coming to a conclusion. Eg. circuit breaker(did it trip), condition of remote control batteries, any "clicking" sound from the box when you press the remote button, any debris on the rack and pinion. Or maybe you see the pinion spinning but there's no contact with the rack. These are simple checks just by using your sight and senses.

Thanks for pointing that out,  yes it is sliding metal gate. Breaker of the gate tripped this morning, i switched it on again this morning, no more  trip  but the gate stopped working. You are correct that the motor housing is upside down but there is a logo plate on top went missing, it came loosed  before and I glued it back,  but now the plate is nowhere found, leaving behind two little small holes there allowing water to go into the housing. Four remote controls and wired button in my house all could not get it working. I will have to open up the box and check but  have no time to do it yet. 

No power to the pinion, nothing stuck, I unlocked the motor and was able to use hand to roll the gate this morning. 

Thanks again for your inputs. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

My son opened up the motor housing, there is input power at 250v, but LEDs no lights. Looks like pcb kong out, anyone has lobang? Or anyone bought from any Malaysia shops before ? 

Thanks. 

20191219_212359.jpg

Edited by Ct3833

11 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Looks like the fuse on the PCB is blown. 250v 5 A. Need to hunt for it tomorrow. 

20191219_222216.jpg

super cheap fix then. had you called someone it would have been a $5 fuse and $80-$100, transport plus landed tax.

• Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

@Watwheels, @Mkl22 and @therock , thanks for your help, finally the gate is back to working condition after replacing this 50 cents fuse

20191220_151540.jpg

good! remember to seal up the holes. else trip again. use all weather construction silicone. i used Dow Corning 791https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=633&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt8Sn-9rD5gIVToePCh1mHgXHEAQYASABEgKiR_D_BwE for my mum roof. lasted 15years so far. hahaha

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

6 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

good! remember to seal up the holes. else trip again. use all weather construction silicone. i used Dow Corning 791https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=633&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt8Sn-9rD5gIVToePCh1mHgXHEAQYASABEgKiR_D_BwE for my mum roof. lasted 15years so far. hahaha

Thanks.  Actually I do have the applicator(like an assault riffle) but   the silicon  tube should have been dried up by  now, will go look for it.  

Edited by Ct3833

Bros

I saw this thread and was so happy when I finally got my gate working after I replaced the blown 2.5A fuse.

Then after a few tries the new 2.5A fuse blew. 😫

Is it because I should have used a 5A fuse or that there's something wrong with the PCB?

Any comments will be much appreciated, thanks! 🙏

1 hour ago, Montevideo said:

Bros

I saw this thread and was so happy when I finally got my gate working after I replaced the blown 2.5A fuse.

Then after a few tries the new 2.5A fuse blew. 😫

Is it because I should have used a 5A fuse or that there's something wrong with the PCB?

Any comments will be much appreciated, thanks! 🙏

Mine is 5A, so far has been working. To be certain, you can check the rating of your old fuse. 2.5A sounds  too low, when the motor starts to move , the initial current shoud be quite high.

35 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Mine is 5A, so far has been working. To be certain, you can check the rating of your old fuse. 2.5A sounds  too low, when the motor starts to move , the initial current shoud be quite high.

35 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I put in 2.5A because the old (blown) fuse was also 2.5A.. Any way to find out if I can afford to use a fuse with a higher rating?

5 hours ago, Montevideo said:

I put in 2.5A because the old (blown) fuse was also 2.5A.. Any way to find out if I can afford to use a fuse with a higher rating?

You should not just upsize your fuse to higher rating just because the current rating is blown. Else it will defeat the purpose of the fuse to protect high current flow when there is a short circuit.

If it is due to high initial high motor current, you may use "Slow Blow Fuse", but still using the same rating.

Your old fuse may be a slow blow fuse, that is why it does not blow, but when you replaced with normal standard fuse it will blow after a few cycle of using.

The filament of the Slow Blow Fuse is different, it is "thicker" at the middle.

20201112_071053.jpg

Edited by Twister
  • Praise 5

Agree with Twister. The fuse is there for a reason and you shouldn't just just upsize it as a fix, something on the board is failing and causing an overload. Ask yourself why 2.5A has been OK all along until now. Worst case is you risk causing a fire if you overload it. The PCB in your photo looks familiar. Is it labelled as "AC motor sliding gate controller G10".? If so you can buy it on Shopee for $67.99 and much better just to replace the whole thing... 

• Praise 2

Relate a story of recent

my auto gate remote misplaced so i went to HDB hardware store to buy replacement.  
KNN, shop wanted $25 for a stupid plastic remote with basic circuitry. seller also proudly say he sold many already.  Although this is not my technical specialty, i found it really fishy and refuse to be carroted.  
that evening i surfed shopee and bought same remote for $3.75 .  Received within a few days and took 3 mins to calibrate the signal to match.  
so my friends,  dont be cheated by these hardware shops.  They will skin you bare and rip your throat the moment your guard is down 😅

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Relate a story of recent

my auto gate remote misplaced so i went to HDB hardware store to buy replacement.  
KNN, shop wanted $25 for a stupid plastic remote with basic circuitry. seller also proudly say he sold many already.  Although this is not my technical specialty, i found it really fishy and refuse to be carroted.  
that evening i surfed shopee and bought same remote for $3.75 .  Received within a few days and took 3 mins to calibrate the signal to match.  
so my friends,  dont be cheated by these hardware shops.  They will skin you bare and rip your throat the moment your guard is down 😅

This is no different from paying 1.40 for a can of soft drink at a coffee shop vs about 30 cents from value shop, or AD repair costs vs outside workshops. For those ignorant/lazy ones, they can only blame themselves to be carroted. 

Auto gate remote systems are the same as those in the old type car alarms. One small plastic box (with output wires to trigger the opening and closing) and a few remotes.

26 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

This is no different from paying 1.40 for a can of soft drink at a coffee shop vs about 30 cents from value shop, or AD repair costs vs outside workshops. For those ignorant/lazy ones, they can only blame themselves to be carroted. 

Auto gate remote systems are the same as those in the old type car alarms. One small plastic box (with output wires to trigger the opening and closing) and a few remotes.

It’s different actually.  $1.40 a can of soft drink becos the coffee shop expects you to sit down and occupy space. Value shop basically just buy and go.   And the monetary difference is also very great. $3.75 vs $25 almost 7x .   Really cut throat man.

Do honest business, cannot like that lah.  If that DIY shop is very atas one located in CBD, and the staff all got solid technical knowledge, wearing uniform, can advise many things, maybe can charge $20 per remote.  This is some bloody dirty diy shop located in some old hdb estate, storeman talk like ah beng, he didnt even check which mhz frequency i wanted.  Cannot like this lah.  No standard.

no wonder Singapore lang lose out to foreigners, we got no pride in our profession.  Just wanna cheat a sale here and there.  

Really shakehead

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1