Income inequality

Wind30

One thing for sure, in 2015, my household income is higher than today in 2020. And i am the sole breadwinner.

so there is negative growth for me and my household.

• Sad 2

“Over the last five years, from 2014 to 2019, median monthly household income from work of resident employed households increased by 13 per cent cumulatively, or 2.5 per cent per annum in real terms,” SingStat said. 

😂 How come I dont feel any richer ......

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 7

6 hours ago, Angcheek said:

“Over the last five years, from 2014 to 2019, median monthly household income from work of resident employed households increased by 13 per cent cumulatively, or 2.5 per cent per annum in real terms,” SingStat said. 

becos they show one side of story.. they din tell u how much increase in living cost in Sg during the same period.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

They don't know how to tell people in simple language har? 0.4% of $65K increase against 4% of $650 gap very big hor. Just tell us what is the average pay of a cleaner and what is the average pay of a private banker or senior lawyer, like that easy to understand right?

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

27 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

They don't know how to tell people in simple language har? 

cannot lah.. simple language people will understand which result in low vote count for them mah! so they need to bring in POWERFUL indicator that "f know who will understand" can comprehend! whhahahahahahha

• Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Angcheek said:

Bro.. you need to tie in with the CPI or Consumer Price index has always been 4%. So your salary is eroded and getting a "virtual" pay cut when everything elsewhere the cost of goods has increased.

Consumer Price Index – CPI Definition - Investopedia

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/consumerpriceindex.asp

Yes, you may say,

but I very smart, I hedge on the Ringette and go Malaysia to buy my foodstuff, so never really increase ..

But on a recurring theme, everything else that is used has increased.

This is quite useful information when asking for a performance review on the pay rise. DONT get conned that everyone else had pay freeze and you got a 2% pay rise and should be happy that you don't get a pay cut or lose your job.

All those scare tactics is used to push the workers to be compliant and stay "normalise" so that there is no Mutiny ...

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Haha! 2

23 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

Bro.. you need to tie in with the CPI or Consumer Price index has always been 4%. So your salary is eroded and getting a "virtual" pay cut when everything elsewhere the cost of goods has increased.

Consumer Price Index – CPI Definition - Investopedia

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/consumerpriceindex.asp

Yes, you may say,

but I very smart, I hedge on the Ringette and go Malaysia to buy my foodstuff, so never really increase ..

But on a recurring theme, everything else that is used has increased.

This is quite useful information when asking for a performance review on the pay rise. DONT get conned that everyone else had pay freeze and you got a 2% pay rise and should be happy that you don't get a pay cut or lose your job.

All those scare tactics is used to push the workers to be compliant and stay "normalise" so that there is no Mutiny ...

The last time Singapore has a CPI above 4% is in year 2013, 7 years ago

180523_April-CPI_ONLINE.jpg

Over the last five years, from 2014 to 2019, median monthly household income from work of resident employed households increased by 13 per cent cumulatively, or 2.5 per cent per annum in real terms

"In real term" means taking out the effect of inflation already.

• Praise 1

SINGAPORE: Household income inequality here last year was at its lowest in almost two decades as median household income grew to S$9,425, according to figures released on Thursday (Feb 20) by the Singapore Department of Statistics (SingStat). 

SingStat’s annual Key Household Income Trends report for 2019 showed the Gini coefficient, based on household income from work per household member, stood at 0.452 last year, compared to 0.458 in 2018.

If i'm not wrong, the data presented was median household income. so husband + wife + whatever mah.

So based on MOM data, assuming a household typically have just husband and wife, it should be about there.

https://stats.mom.gov.sg/Pages/Income-Summary-Table.aspx

only the Gini coefficient is averaged to numbers of household member.

I peasant so my interpretation could be wrong too. 

Edited by Knoobie
  • Praise 1

12 hours ago, Wind30 said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/income-inequality-gini-household-singapore-lowest-2019-12453450

can u spot the “fake” news by our government? How much did our median income increase by?

Editor's note: An earlier version of the story said that the Gini coefficient reported by the Singapore Department of Statistics was based on household income from work; that is incorrect. It is based on household income from work per household member.

If not for the editor note right at the bottom, I would not notice that the use household income from work per household member.

how is that for creative accounting? You just need the average household number to drop a little to get wage increase 🙂 less kids -> better wage growth.., why do they even present the data in such a way....

• Haha! 1

14 minutes ago, Knoobie said:

If i'm not wrong, the data presented was median household income. so husband + wife + whatever mah.

So based on MOM data, assuming a household typically have just husband and wife, it should be about there.

https://stats.mom.gov.sg/Pages/Income-Summary-Table.aspx

only the Gini coefficient is averaged to numbers of household member.

I peasant so my interpretation could be wrong too. 

so if either is out of a job, it becomes half... 

18 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

so if either is out of a job, it becomes half... 

that's why i say.. one can always choose what and how to present from raw data.

36 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Editor's note: An earlier version of the story said that the Gini coefficient reported by the Singapore Department of Statistics was based on household income from work; that is incorrect. It is based on household income from work per household member.

If not for the editor note right at the bottom, I would not notice that the use household income from work per household member.

how is that for creative accounting? You just need the average household number to drop a little to get wage increase 🙂 less kids -> better wage growth.., why do they even present the data in such a way....

Household to me also seems a bit suspicious also since the lowest income hh will have multi generations living within to cancel out those in extreme poverty (eg son cannot afford to move out cos cant afford hdb while supporting parents... the parents super-low income then averaged out with the son's)

Is hh gini coefficient the norm in other countries? I always thought individual metric gives a clearer picture since the whole point of measuring inequality is to look at the spread not cover it up at the low end

Edited by yishunite

9 hours ago, Angcheek said:

Tell U so many times put your money with BankCoe; 10% interest guaranteed :grin: 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Knoobie said:

that's why i say.. one can always choose what and how to present from raw data.

Yaloh! I am an Analyst.. i always present data/chart to what my bosses wanna see..

truth hurts..

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1