Cysnotts Neutral Newbie December 16, 2020 Share December 16, 2020 Hi I have bought a volkswagen and still under warranty by AD. If I change my brake pad with outside workshop, will my warranty void? Need advise pls. Thanks ↡ Advertisement 1 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
1fast1 Supersonic December 16, 2020 Share December 16, 2020 Does your warranty cover brake pads? If so, why not use it? Munich/BIS warranty for M cars covers items like these (full servicing parts and labour x 5 yrs). For VW, I've never owned one so I have no idea. In principle, your general warranty should not be invalidated. It's ridiculous if they refuse to cover gearbox damage just because you changed brake pads outside. But they might try to pull a stunt like this, and regrettably, your only recourse may be a lawsuit. However, voiding your braking system warranty is quite likely, and not entirely unreasonable. 5 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vinceng Turbocharged December 16, 2020 Share December 16, 2020 (edited) The answer is "NO, your warranty will not be void" https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/car-owners-can-use-independent-workshops-without-voiding-warranties-soon https://www.budgetdirect.com.sg/blog/car-insurance/fear-car-dealers-will-void-car-warranties https://www.cccs.gov.sg/media-and-consultation/newsroom/media-releases/major-car-dealers-amend-warranty-terms Edited December 16, 2020 by Vinceng 2 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
ER-3682 Supersonic December 16, 2020 Share December 16, 2020 If you change Brake Pads outside,make sure is Original Brake Pads. 1 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
kobayashiGT Internal Moderator December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 8 hours ago, Cysnotts said: Hi I have bought a volkswagen and still under warranty by AD. If I change my brake pad with outside workshop, will my warranty void? Need advise pls. Thanks Brake pads are wear and tear item, I think consumers have a choice to choose where they would like to change from. Is like tyres, if my tyres botak alrd, then AD charge me an $800 for one sec but I can get $750 for the exact tyres, which one do you think I will go to? 2 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sdf4786k Twincharged December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 If you change brake pads outside should be ok.. just make sure you take a picture of the box so that a time stamp is recorded on your phone so that there is no dispute in terms of any down side problem 3 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Naimed 5th Gear December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 16 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said: Brake pads are wear and tear item, I think consumers have a choice to choose where they would like to change from. Is like tyres, if my tyres botak alrd, then AD charge me an $800 for one sec but I can get $750 for the exact tyres, which one do you think I will go to? If difference is $50 and provided the service level and waiting time is the same, I'd be very tempted to go AD if still under warranty lah. 🤪 Usually, the difference is not minor, esp conti cars. If small ticket items, change outside will be faster too. 1 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kangadrool Supersonic December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 Just change to original and not mickey mouse brand will do. Also, don't need to "paste sticker" to say you change outside. The brake pads will look like farktree original once it's broken in, in no time. So, don't write 此地无银三百两 on it. 1 4 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Soya Supersonic December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 Changed mine at AD. Cost $150 more than outside workshop. PA's service and honouring warranty has been excellent. Job was well done too. They deserve to earn a bit Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
kermitfm 4th Gear December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 When a company gives a warranty on their product, it is to say that they stand behind their product's quality and if anything goes wrong within the warranty period, they will replace it or correct the fault at their cost. There may be some fine prints and caveats but that's the general idea. When a repair or change is made during the warranty period by a third party, then there could be a possibility that the some aspects of the product quality may be compromised and thus the AD could not be made responsible for that part. Depending on how complex the brake pad change is, the AD could void or refuse to provide warranty repairs of those parts that are related. For example, some brake systems have pad wear sensors. If for some reason, the wear sensors are not functional after the change, and damage results from it, then the AD will not take responsibility. If the brake disc gets badly scratched or damaged, the AD can also pin the fault on a bad replacement job. The risks are small if you get a good workshop which is familiar with the product to do the job, but if you get a freelanced guy who is doing their on-the -job training replacing parts for the first time, then better think twice. Of course, if your wiper fails after the brake pad change, it will be absolutely unreasonable for the AD to attribute the cause to the change and void the warranty for the repairs on the wipers. 5 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
kobayashiGT Internal Moderator December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 41 minutes ago, Naimed said: If difference is $50 and provided the service level and waiting time is the same, I'd be very tempted to go AD if still under warranty lah. 🤪 Usually, the difference is not minor, esp conti cars. If small ticket items, change outside will be faster too. Haha. I will save whatever I can save on. hahaha. 2 1 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Beregond Supersonic December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 10 hours ago, Cysnotts said: Hi I have bought a volkswagen and still under warranty by AD. If I change my brake pad with outside workshop, will my warranty void? Need advise pls. Thanks no, if u use back original parts , all the clips and metal plates must put back in , alot of ws lazy leave those out. anw brake pad is not claimable for all AD ( i believe so ) if u compare price its like 100-200% price different, then go outside loh. if only like 30-50 just give AD do. (but i advice u let trusted outside ws take a look ) AD love to ask u change brakepad even only 40% wornoff.🤣 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
inlinesix Hypersonic December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 4 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said: Haha. I will save whatever I can save on. hahaha. Sometime, don't penny wise pound foolish. When my Mini still under warranty, I did all my servicing at AD (except tyre). All my warranty claims (new remote and battery) swee swee. No question asked. 3 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
inlinesix Hypersonic December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 1 minute ago, Beregond said: no, if u use back original parts , all the clips and metal plates must put back in , alot of ws lazy leave those out. anw brake pad is not claimable for all AD ( i believe so ) if u compare price its like 100-200% price different, then go outside loh. if only like 30-50 just give AD do. (but i advice u let trusted outside ws take a look ) AD love to ask u change brakepad even only 40% wornoff.🤣 When it is 40% worn, just change it during oil change. Why waste another trip? This is especially for front brake pad. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Spring Moderator December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 I’ve mentioned before in other threads that I believe no AD will want to void warranty unnecessarily as its bad publicity for them as well so if they do void warranty, I’m sure it’s for a legitimate reason. For the local AD, warranty claims are not paid by them but by the principal though AD does need to provide labour, space and time to replace the warranty part but that shld be a small issue for them so I still standby the fact that ADs don’t void warranties frivolously. I sound like an AD advocate😀 4 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rickster 5th Gear December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 Y not just drop an email to your AD and get a black and white? Always get black and white in case in future AD try to be funny in the future by saying u do x, thus cause problems to y indirectly. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
kobayashiGT Internal Moderator December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 1 hour ago, inlinesix said: Sometime, don't penny wise pound foolish. When my Mini still under warranty, I did all my servicing at AD (except tyre). All my warranty claims (new remote and battery) swee swee. No question asked. Okay! but this old habit die hard leh. hahahha. If hokkien mee, one normal one is $3 and the famous one is $5 and need to queue for 1 hr, I will choose the latter one. Only when comes to food, i am illogical, hahahha 3 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
andrewyewkc 5th Gear December 17, 2020 Share December 17, 2020 (edited) 1 hour ago, Beregond said: no, if u use back original parts , all the clips and metal plates must put back in , alot of ws lazy leave those out. anw brake pad is not claimable for all AD ( i believe so ) if u compare price its like 100-200% price different, then go outside loh. if only like 30-50 just give AD do. (but i advice u let trusted outside ws take a look ) AD love to ask u change brakepad even only 40% wornoff.🤣 I don't know if it is still a practice at Cycle and Carriage. Many years back I sent in my fairly new car for servicing and they changed my brake pads without even asking me and I got a bill shock when I went to collect my car. Edited December 17, 2020 by andrewyewkc ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
Good driving advice!
Good driving advice!