Is Standalone GPS obsoleting?

Chuapcd

2 hours ago, Tkseah said:

While I still prefer to use the standalone Garmin while driving.. I think after my current Garmin spoils then probably will switch to using mobile phone liao..

Garmin has one model that comes with camera .. so that’s quite good when u travel n need to have cam car recording 

↡ Advertisement

i bought my Kenwood HU because it has Garmin built-in. It also has Android Auto and CarPlay capabilities. 

i still use the Garmin occasionally as it is better at bringing me to the doorstep of the place i am going. Google Maps sometimes brings me to the nearest road/junction but not the actual building entrance. 

For traffic updates, no contest - Google map/Waze rocks. Need data for that though. 

Google Maps also better at searching for places. Definitely more data points than Garmin. 

if i am going somewhere i am unfamiliar with, i run both Garmin and Google Maps. Sometimes the routing is different so it's interesting to compare the two. The navigation instructions are also different even if on same route LOL. for example, Garmin ignores merging lanes while Google treats it as a junction.

For my road trips to Malaysia/Thai, i will download Google Maps (offline mode) for the areas i am going. This will enable the map to run even when out of 3G/4G range. Same in foreign countries if going out of city area.

• Praise 2

I never bought a standalone navigation device before, never will, I know it will become a white elephant. 

I used to use a Holux external gps module a very long time ago and I connect it to my hp via bluetooth using the papago software. It was using a nokia hp rechargeable battery, very reliable at that time. That was my first gps. Connection was fast, so was the refresh rate. There was a local company that supported the software, many years ago already no more cos smart phone evolves too fast. They company was probably made obsolete.

I already saw the navigation system existing on the hp so why get a standalone that you only use it in the car? Not every country you go to you will drive. Getting around by public trains I would use Google map which is more useful than a standalone device that only navigates you thru roads only. To me it wasnt versatile at all, it was a very much a single function device that you would use it in a car.

I think only overseas car leasing company would rent out the unit. Other than that ppl will just use apps like Waze(for driving) and Google maps(when on foot).

Now things are made even easier with modern aftermarket HU. You can add on a gps module at $50.

Edited by Watwheels

16 minutes ago, Vulkan said:

Obsolete like this

image.png.a1602bb7adff0964aeee69b7d713e7fa.png

No wonder pm position fly away. Lol.

2 hours ago, Shibadog said:

i bought my Kenwood HU because it has Garmin built-in. It also has Android Auto and CarPlay capabilities. 

i still use the Garmin occasionally as it is better at bringing me to the doorstep of the place i am going. Google Maps sometimes brings me to the nearest road/junction but not the actual building entrance. 

For traffic updates, no contest - Google map/Waze rocks. Need data for that though. 

Google Maps also better at searching for places. Definitely more data points than Garmin. 

if i am going somewhere i am unfamiliar with, i run both Garmin and Google Maps. Sometimes the routing is different so it's interesting to compare the two. The navigation instructions are also different even if on same route LOL. for example, Garmin ignores merging lanes while Google treats it as a junction.

For my road trips to Malaysia/Thai, i will download Google Maps (offline mode) for the areas i am going. This will enable the map to run even when out of 3G/4G range. Same in foreign countries if going out of city area.

agree. Google maps just bring you to the main road of the building and a lot of service roads not present in the map. Need to use other map app or street view to see how to enter building.

Supersonic

I have a Garmin & a Marbella GPS 

Keeping that as historical relics to entertain my grandchildren that back in the day we actually had to use standalone devices that required us to pay for static map updates which needs to be downloaded via a PC and SD card with no real-time data.....lol

• Haha! 1

55 minutes ago, Soya said:

Keeping that as historical relics to entertain my grandchildren that back in the day we actually had to use standalone devices that required us to pay for static map updates which needs to be downloaded via a PC and SD card with no real-time data.....lol

Dont think it will last if not regularly used; I found my Marbella (about 5-7 years old agak agak when i changed car) just would not even switch on (maybe kept it in the car too long or heat or what also I dont know; Could not even charge      

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Soya said:

I am keeping these to tell bedtime stories in years to come, "last time your ah gong (me) will memorize the route before heading to unfamiliar places, don't need another person / voice to tell 'me turn left at 300m then keep to the right of the fork'..." :D

mighty-minds-street-directories-2007-200

The last one I bought should be this 2018 version.

new_mighty_minds_singapore_street_direct

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 7

Supersonic

As a phv driver, using nav intensively, standalone gps is obsolete.

We get a pickup on the app, press a button on the phone, it launched Waze (or Googlemap), boom, go.

Where got time to go into Garmen, select where to go, type in and search ? 😁

And besides, it's occupying another real estate in the car dashboard.

• Praise 3

7 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I am keeping these to tell bedtime stories in years to come, "last time your ah gong (me) will memorize the route before heading to unfamiliar places, don't need another person / voice to tell 'me turn left at 300m then keep to the right of the fork'..." :D

I bought 1 in 2005.

Supersonic
17 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Lol....know what u mean. I managed to navigate my way in California using a fold out AAA map in the 90s. Who needs a smlj GPS? And Google founder still in high skool then....

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

True, all these observations about Garmin, which i am also still using as a stand-alone GPS. And that it's hard to find stand-alone GPS being sold anymore. Remember the days when during IT fair there were a few brands and models offered. Now it's all gone the way of the dinosaur.

The disadvantages are all stated there. Maps require update, no live situation feedback of traffic conditions, etc.

But I love my old Garmin unit which I brought over from my previous car. It updates faster - crucial when you make a wrong turn and the GPS must re-route, the display is more intuitive (to me), and does its job getting me from A to a fuzzy location B with a good choice of paths.

I can bring it with me when in Malaysia, hooking it up to rental car - and unlike phone, no need to consume the phone battery power and do not need to use mobile data.

Best of all, it is robust and long-lasting. Been using that Garmin for years (at least 6,7?) and it is still ticking.

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

When I travel to USA in the 90s, all the navigation are using map. Task will be on co-driver.

The night before had to plan all the route and highlight it.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
24 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Back at the start of this century when i started driving, this book was the only navigation guide [laugh]

You need to study map, memorize landmarks where to make turns.

We had much better memory and spatial awareness then.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
25 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

i know my lao bei last time study taxi license need this

• Praise 2

7 hours ago, Tohto said:

Using Waze or Goggle map will have live update on traffic situation.

Does stand alone GPS do that? I know donkey years ago don't have.

On contrast , if you go into outback road trip like Australia, USA, New Zealand where certain places have no mobile signal, your Google map become invalid then you will appreciate GPS. If you are a city dweller only then mobile phone is good enough 

for me I still prefer my car build in gps or any car build in gps then mobile phone 😁When overseas as mention telco signal may become weak or worst no signal

Edited by D3badge
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2